Need Advice for wheelchair Pre cruise and cruise

drafj7

I just posted this on special board under disabled as well.

Need some tips/advice for our upcoming British Aisles cruise. We are doing a pre cruise on our own. My wife only needs a wheelchair for long distance walking. We are planning on bringing our own wheelchair. We are landing in Paris. Spending three days there then taking Eurostar to London and will spend two days there. Taking the bus from cruise line at Victoria coach station. Flying back at the airport in Copenhagen. My concern is pushing my wife and dealing with two large suitcases. Is there usually help at the airports and train station as well as Victoria Coach. Also is it difficult getting around Paris and London with a wheelchair. My wife is capable of short term walking as well as climbing a few stairs.

Thanks

Europe is generally not ADA accessible like the US is.

That being said, hopefully somebody else has tips for you?

When we were in Paris, we had a private van for my family and that van drove us to see the sights all around the city.

We also took the subway to see catacombs, etc in Paris - don't remember that being accessible via wheelchair.

Never been to London.

You should be able to get wheelchair, golfcart assistance in airports if you call ahead and schedule that.

For assistance at the airport, you need to contact your airline directly. They then make the necessary arrangements with all the airports. I am not sure how they handle your own wheelchair but they should be able to tell you.

The problem at the airport is that you normally get assistance from check-in/bag drop onwards which still leaves you with the difficulty of handing wheelchair and suitcases.

I believe that limited assistance is available at stations but, again, this must be arranged in advance. I suggested contacting Eurostar.

As for Victoria coach station, I doubt that there is any assistance provided. It is more or less on one level but with curbs. [Restrooms may be downstairs.] However, if Celebrity are providing the transfers from Victoria, I suggest contacting them and seeing what they say.

I have no experience of travelling around London or Paris with a wheelchair - my husband only need it for long distances with time limits. Paris did not seem very wheelchair friendly to me when we were last there but I was not looking ... London should be wheelchair friendly, especially since the Olympics, but I hope that someone else can provide more information. If you go to the Transport for London [tfl] website you can get detailed journey information which can include wheelchair friendly public transport.

We are doing the same thing.

After checking into renting a chair in Paris and London we decided to take our own. We got a "transport",it is lightweight and folds very small. Walmart has them on line for $93 , Walgreens is about $120. We found one at an estate sale for $40. Unlike wheelchairs you have to have someone push it, but I think it might work for what we want to do. Can't walk long distance.

Eurostar you just put it with your big luggage at the end of the car you are on.Call them for more info-1-800-622-8600 in the USA.

Airlines will check it for free. If you need help from the checkin to gate you need to let them know ahead of time.

Porters are everywhere at the airports to help (tips ). We like to handle our own stuff so we just pile our luggage on the wheelchair(transport) and move it ourselves to the checkin.

At the train stations be very careful letting ANYONE handle your luggage, you might never see it again. We also take bicycle chains with us to secure luggage and chair to something so it doesn't "walk away " at the back of the train. Most of time you can see your stuff but not always. Also watch your overhead things because that can also take a walk. Children are used to distract while the thieves take your stuff.

When are you going? We are not leaving til July.

If you have more questions just ask.

We are leaving in early May. My wife only needs the wheelchair for long distance walking. She can walk short distances and up small flights of stairs. We will be more frugal in packing. I just wanted to know if there are porters around airports by baggage pickup as well as airport and Eurostar curb sides. Airport luggage pick up is Paris. Return airport at curbside is Copenhagen. Eurostar at Paris curb side. Getting around the airports is not an issue. I anticipate one when we are dropped off with our luggage.

Thanks for the quick response. This is a special occasion as we are celebrating my wife's 60th birthday. The fact she needs to use a wheelchair at times will not stop us. We are both excited for this upcoming trip.

My mum has similar mobility issues.

You will find that when you use wheelchair assistance at airports, railways stations etc in the UK there will be designated personnel who will push the chair leaving you free to handle luggage.

We usually hang as much bags etc as possible on the wheelchair, Mum gets pushed and Dad moves the luggage.

I can't comment on Paris, but London and British Isles can be negotiated with wheelchairs with a little prior planning. It's true that many of the historic sites were built before ADA regulations but most places, including rail and tube stations, have had lifts etc installed.

I'm not sure when you plan to visit, or your particular interests, but we took Mum for a trip around Buckingham Palace last year, she was treated like a Queen and everything was perfectly accessible in a wheelchair you just had to let them know your needs when you book the tour tickets.

I hope that this helps, it can be done but plan, plan, plan.

With best wishes for a fantastic trip

Debbie