Does RCCL Do a "Behind the Scenes" Ship Tour?

Hi, we went on the back-house tour on Oasis for spring break (1st week of March this year). Here are my opinions:

1. yes, it seems expensive, but you really do get access to many interesting places. We loved the food storage and beer cooler part, where a very entertaining guy dazzles you with the sheer numbers of what they serve per week. Also interesting was the Aqua Theatre, where they explain how it was built, how a typical show goes, how the divers know when and where to dive, etc. The galley was interesting, as well as the laundry. Again, the sheer numbers they throw at you just blow your mind!

2. Yes, we got the sisal bags and aprons, like someone had mentioned

3. One thing to note: when you sign up, the insurance release form and explanation feebly, in my opinion, mention that there will be climbing, so guests must be in shape. What they should strongly word is that if you cannot easily and quickly climb several sets of steep, narrow steps, or if you plan to bring babies or small children who cannot navigate those steps, then please be advised to refrain from attending. One fellow in his 60's but with bad knees had signed up, and only when the guide showed up was the man told that he probably wouldn't be able to make it. Several guests reaffirmed that, and ultimately he was disappointed but at least got a refund. I also mentioned children because a couple also showed up with a little one in a stroller and daycare-age child, who would have never in a million years been able to follow the group. They bailed, too.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the tour, at least once!

I did this on Celebrity once, but it was a Bridge Tour. Included a few cocktails before going up and meeting the Captain crew.

On Royal, I though it was free for Diamond+ members. Is this not the case anymore? I know for Diamond we get the entertainment tours.

I did this on Celebrity once, but it was a Bridge Tour. Included a few cocktails before going up and meeting the Captain crew.

On Royal, I though it was free for Diamond+ members. Is this not the case anymore? I know for Diamond we get the entertainment tours.

D+ are usually offered free bridge and galley tours on 7 day or longer cruises. The tours might also be offered on shorter cruises, but this varies by ship and sailing.

Hard to believe these tours used to be free...

The basic Bridge, Theater and Galley Tours are still complimentary and are offered to upper tier members of C&A as well as Suite Guests. A card is left in your cabin which you must fill out and return to the Loyalty Ambassador.

I tried signing up for this on the Grandeur a few weeks ago, even on their smallest ship the tour is still $150, but they mentioned as stated earlier, among other locations, crew areas, engine control room, bridge, etc. I hated paying the price but I had $150 on board credit and we weren't spending much while on board so I figured why not... well I was told I would be "put on the list", well the evening prior to our last full day on the ship I had heard nothing, I went to inquire, and apparently there is a minimum amount of guests they need to reach for the tour to go off; our minimum was not met, but I would think even one guest paying $150 should have met the minimum for that amount! Unless it's a gift or extra obc, I doubt I will pay that amount out of my own pocket.

I did one on the Carnival Dream a few years ago and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We weren't allowed to bring a camera with us, though, so that kind of stunk. We got to see all of the mentioned areas as well as trash disposal, brig, and morgue. It was VERY interesting. If you like cruising and have the disposable income, I highly recommend doing it on at least one cruise! They did also have a photographer meet us on the bridge and take photos of each person with the captain. They were delivered with some other goodies to our room later in the evening!

I did this on Voyager of the Seas, last year. I was allowed to take video throughout the tour except on the bridge. Hope this video (and the pictures posted earlier by a fellow CC'er) show you what kinds of things you may see if you choose to do it.

Note: Videoing rules and locations visited may vary by ship (e.g. Studio B is not part of the tour on Voyager).

brZqcL0Vmj8