My Dawn Western Caribbean Cruise on March 23-30, 2014 Review with photos

FL Sunshine

That's it for photos for now. Roatan is a beautiful island. I have so many other pics, but I don't want to bore you. You will explore and make your own memories. I also won't bore you with sunrise and sunset pics. We have all seen them.

Now to get my thoughts together to write about Belize.

Oh please! Cruise Critic members never get bored with pictures! :D

We had that same cabin but unfortunately it was during the repositioning from Boston to Tampa during Super Storm Sandy. We never did get to use the balcony much. I don't think I would book it again but I did love that bathroom.

#12022 on the Dawn is a Penthouse suite. I don't know what a regular suite is. Are you referring to a mini suite? I always learn new info when I read these boards. It's great!

I thought that cabin 12022 was in the Family Suite with Balcony category....someone please help me if I am wrong. Looking at the NCL site the category appears to match what I thought.

#12022 on the Dawn is a Penthouse suite. I don't know what a regular suite is. Are you referring to a mini suite? I always learn new info when I read these boards. It's great!

No, I'm not talking about the mini-suite. I don't consider them a true suite.

Sorry, I couldn't think of another term other than "regular suite".

What I meant was all the other suites that are NOT the Owners Suites, Deluxe Owners Suites, or the Garden Villa's. Those three have a reserved balcony seating area. On the Dawn, there's one area on each side of the theater. It's roped off with a little sign that says only OS, DOS, and Garden Villa passengers may sit there.

I was not aware that the other types of suites, like your Penthouse Suite, also had a reserved seating area in the theater. It looks like it's on the floor and near the back. Correct?

Lovely pictures, btw. Thank you for sharing them. And please continue...:)

I thought that cabin 12022 was in the Family Suite with Balcony category....someone please help me if I am wrong. Looking at the NCL site the category appears to match what I thought.

Our docs named it a penthouse suite. It's all really semantics. It doesn't matter what it is named, it is a suite. :)

Day 4

Belize:

You guessed it, we had our breakfast at Cagney's. We had two huge duffle bags, another duffle bag and a backpack loaded with 180 pounds of donated clothes, shoes, school supplies, books, toothbrushes etc we collected for the children of Belize.

A little background on this. My mother did several medical mission trips to Belize when I was younger. She helped set up clinics in the villages, treated, educated etc. I loved hearing her stories when she would return. I followed in her footsteps and worked with SE Asians when I graduated from college as a Social Worker.

When my husband and I traveled to Thailand to adopt our daughter we loaded up suitcases of donated items to take with us for the orphanage. So the thought came to mind to do the same for Belize. I already knew there was a need and Belize holds a special place in my heart.

I asked family members, friends and my church for gently used children clothing etc. Then I thought why not make it a project and open it up to the Roll Call group for anyone that was interested. The response was beyond our expectations. Again, a big thank you to anyone in our Roll Call that contributed. :)

NCL and their staff were so helpful with these bags. This was a tender port, so Patrick had us call him 15 minutes before we were ready to leave. He sent housekeeping with a luggage cart and Rosh came also to our priority place at the Cucina. They accompanied us all the way to the tender boat and loaded the bags on the boat. What service!

Unknowingly, when we arrived at the Belize port NCL had someone there to meet us, take the bags to customs and helped us through customs. They even arrange for the minister who we were delivering the donations to get a special pass to bring his truck into the port area. They helped load the bags in the truck. Everyone was happy. Mission accomplished. :D

Upon returning home I received an email that said the donations were delivered to a very poor community called Libertad in northern Belize. :)

To be continued....

Thanks for the review. We will be on the Dawn in November in our first Suite, a two bedroom. I can't hear enough about the "suite life." Just gets me excited.

And bless you for the great work you did with the donations. That is awesome!!!

Belize continued:

My husband's aunt took the ship's excursion to the Altun Ha Mayan ruin. She enjoyed it. I do not have photo's of this. She has them. :(

After our visit with the missionary my husband, daughter and I set out to explore the city. Yes, we went beyond the gate and felt safe. As always when we travel we kept alert to our surroundings.

Our first stop was to the Immigration Office to get our passports stamped. We got directions from the Custom's Officer. That was easy.

I saw this building that looked like a shack with a 12"x 12" square window. There were a couple of locals standing in line. I wondered if this was a store so I got in line. My husband was like what are doing? Does anyone see where this is going??

As I stood in line I heard locals asking to buy one cigarette, two cigarettes etc. I get to this little window and I asked, do you have cold Coca Colas in glass bottles? :D Score! They were 50 cents plus a 50 cents deposit. I bought three bottles. One my family shared right there on the spot. Yum!

If you are wondering what the big deal is about colas in a glass bottle, they are made with real cane sugar in Central America and very refreshing. I'm not even a soda drinker, but I love these. One we had on the ship later and the other is sitting in my fridge. When I told my mom this story, she said "yep, that's the way the stores are and the locals do buy one thing at a time rather than in packs."

We walked around, talked to some locals, took photos and shopped. I don't recall being "bothered" too much by the locals selling there goods. Just the normal and the locals will barter price. The ladies wanted to braid my daughter or my hair, give foot massages etc. We would just politely declined.

We made our way back to the ship. We got lucky and didn't have to wait for a tender, there was one ready to go.

After cleaning up we had lunch at the buffet. We then went to the afternoon family movie in the Spinnaker Lounge. Despicable Me 2 was showing. Popcorn was served. I fell asleep. lol I hear it's a great movie though. I believe they had family movies showing each port day, but this was the only one we watched, most of us anyways. ;)

We met up with my husband's aunt for dinner in the Venetian, saw the show and bedtime.

Costa Maya coming up next...