Share suggestions for waterproof cameras...thanks!

Hi all!

We're sailing on the Breeze in May and I'd like to buy an inexpensive waterproof camera so I can take pictures during snorkeling and while petting stingrays! It doesn't need to be a top of the line diving camera since we won't take more than a few feet underwater during snorkeling.

I'd prefer a digital since the kids love to take tons of random photos and the 35 mm would be a waste of film. Was looking at Amazon and the reviews are so mixed for each camera. There's a Vivitar Aquashot Underwater Digital Camera for $30 that some people rave about and some say it filled with water right away. Hard decision to make!

Do you have something similar that you use and love? Thanks! Heidi

my family has had great success with the Olympus (parents, sister and I each have one of different ages).

we had NO success with the Nikon. That being said, the company has been great to deal with and has replaced it twice (once on warranty, and once since!)

I love my Canon D10 it is awesome. My kids and wife have had good luck with Fuji XP100's but I would have to agree the GoPro camera is pretty cool with what it will do with video and time lapse stuff. He bought a cheap extendable tripod that he uses when snorkeling... so he can get closer to things without actually having to be that close.

I have a Panasonic TS20 and like it. It's only good to about 10/15 feet underwater, but it works for stuff like snorkeling and in the pool.

The new model is the TS25. I think they're going for around $140.

I'm looking at a few of the TS20's on Ebay now. Thanks for the suggestion! I might be able to get one for under $50 if it's 2nd hand! Perfect!

• 1 month later...

I hope you had a great cruise. What camera did you buy?

I had the Olympus TG-3 on wait list with Amazon for June 6th shipping but then Olympus messed up and Amazon and many other retailers will not have the camera until June 26 (maybe) so I went with the Nikon AW120. Nikon has a good rep and I have used it before so I am familiar with it before my trip. The zoom is rather limited at 5x, it can be a bit slow when I hit the picture button but the photos are ok. I wanted the waterproof feature most of all so I don't have to worry about it in or near the water on my cruise.

I will try and post photos of my snuba/snorkel adventures when I get back.