get to Mendenhall Glacier?

twinmom38

Afternoon everyone.. we are in Juneau in August and are wondering how to get to Mendenhall Glacier? Is it a walk from port? Or a cab or ?.. We have a whale watch in the morning and a floatplane in the afternoon and thought maybe we could trak on over and walk on it.. is that possible?

thanks in advance

It's about 12 miles from port. If you are going on a whale watch in the morning, you may be able to arrange a drop off afterwards because it is closer to the area where I think all of the whale watch ships leave from. However, then you'll have to arrange for transportation back to the port (30+ minutes) or to wherever the float plane tour picks you up. Unless you're in port for a LONG time (i.e. all the daylight hours), 3 excursions might not be possible.

Take a look at a Juneau map. The only way, I suggest is to have cobooking with your whale watch for a drop off/pick up. Change your time, if needed. Other direction you can take the shuttle bus. Your float plane will leave from the cruise ship area.

NO you can not access the glacier by foot.

IF your whale watch isn't right after you dock, then consider taking a cab direct to Mendenhall to see it prior to the boat tour. Then, if you have booked independent, see if you can be picked up. IF not, then take a cab to the whale watch- BUT be certain to get the SPECIFIC dock/marina your whale watch leaves from. They are all separate.

You do have to call cabs yourself at Mendenhall, so call 30 minutes prior to needing them, telling them the time you want to be picked up.

Edited by Budget Queen

oh great info, thanks to both of you! our whale watch company (harv and Marv) DO include a stop there on the way either coming or going, but thought maybe we would like a bit more time.. thanks again.. appreciate it so much!!

oh great info, thanks to both of you! our whale watch company (harv and Marv) DO include a stop there on the way either coming or going, but thought maybe we would like a bit more time.. thanks again.. appreciate it so much!!

Head there right when your ship clears with a cab, likely will offer you the extra time you want. Then have H&M pick you up at Mendenhall.

Could someone share with us what the cost of a taxi is to Mendenhall Glacier from the cruise pier? Thanks Friends:)
I

I'd expect it to be in the $35/40+++ range with inflation this year. If it comes in less, you're ahead. This is one way.

Are the blue or white busses handicapped accessible? We will have one of our party in a wheelchair.

they haven't been in the past. Inquire directly. Mighty Great Trips

I just got notification that the rates this year are $20 round trip.