Where to buy wood carvings/pottery: Belize or Roatan? Shop names?

snorkel4ever

Is there a better selection or price for wood carvings / pottery in Belize or Roatan? I am looking for multicolor wood bowls/salad tongs, sugar bowls, salt/pepper shakers etc. In Belize is the Handicraft Market Place or Mayan Center (women's cooperative craft store) better? Are both walking distance from pier? Any suggestions for where to buy in Mahogany Bay in Roatan? Any info would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

You can look at the shops in both port shopping areas. But in Belize, I would venture across the street from the terminals and look at what's offered at the crafts market there, before buying. Outside of traveling around via a taxi or rental car and looking for craftmen, or wlaking over the swing bridge and going down Albert Street to Bodie's Store,which may or may not have anything, the crafts market is your better bet.

In Roatan, you need to go to Coxen Hole and then visit a couple of smaller stores along the main streets there. There's one, whose name I forget, that specializes in wooden chests. There's a "Made in Roatan" store in Sandy Bay's Alba Plaza. There are smaller local shops in the West End that cater to local crafts. But in Roatan, you need to be careful as most of these types of items originate somewhere else, mainland Honduras or Guatemala (especially true for the hammocks). Look for the less polished type items. Highly polished wooden items tend to come from somewhere else. Things can be branded "Made in Roatan" or "Made in Honduras" but everybody and their brother has a branding iron.

Oh, meant to add: Coxen Hole is a 15 minute taxi ride from MBCC, think $15-$20 per person for the ride though, especially from the taxis right at the cruise center. Sandy Bay and West End are closer to 30 minutes away, depending on traffic. Add $10 to the fare. That's one way.

Edited by crewsweeper

There are lots of booths with wood crafts and carvings in Belize. If you go out the gates and walk to the left - you will see them. Since they are outside the gates, the prices are lower. The people there are very poor and desperate to sell their items so they can be rather aggressive. It doesn't bother me - I just smile and say no thank you. I just try to remember that they are doing their best to try to make a living and don't let them fluster me. I've gotten beautiful items at great prices there.