Jungle Beach Break Question

demos

I agree about not going to Uvero and taking advantage of Majahaul or another free beach. However, when we were there in May, the beach at the port was VERY crowded! Don't get me wrong, I thought Uvero was beautiful, but unless you are a big drinker, it's not worth it. After seeing photos of Majahaul, it looks just as nice. We were also on the Explorer and the only other ship in port was Carnival's Inspiration. We booked the earlier Jungle Beach Break at Uvero and returned shortly after noon and did some shopping at the port. The shops were so crowded, you could hardly move! So I can't say I'd agree with waiting and going in the afternoon.

Well, when we were there in April, both the beach and the pool by the pier were literally mobbed. The pool is totally surrounded by shops, resaturants and bars, so it's noisey and crowded. That's fine if you just want to take a dip and cool off, but if that were my preference, I'd just stay on the ship. We found the ride to the beach break interesting as we got a flavor for the local scenery. Even with a number of ships using Uvero beach, there was space and beach chairs to spare. Yes there are rocky spots in the water. The smoothest area seems to be used for volleyball. The busses returning to the ship left every hour and there really wasn't much of a line. If one bus filled up, there was another right behind it. I guess it depends on what you like, but for us it was worth the price to leave the crowds behind for a while and enjoy a tropical beach. We did go back early enough to browse in the shops, but the pier area was wall to wall people!

• 1 year later...
So basically, the advice is to stay on the ship until the crowds die down and then around 1 or 2 go to the pier? I have been trying to find out for some time now...is there a charge for the tiki huts at the pier? There are only a few and would assume they fill up very quickly. Our thought was to get to the pier early, enjoy the pool for awhile and then go to Majahal in the afternoon??

I think a lot of people that have never been to the Port of Costa Maya, and even some who have gone but have only stayed within the pier complex, are confused about the difference of Costa Maya and Mahahual.

The pier at Costa Maya is directly off of the dock where the ship is parked and contains a complex that includes a small beach area, a large free to use pool, shops, bars, restaurants and a crocodile museum. Behind the complex you will find a taxi transportation stand where golf carts can be rented or taxi tickets can be purchased. After purchasing a one way ticket to Mahahual ( $3.00 per person ) you will board a taxi or bus that will take you to the fishing village of Mahahual located just 3 or so miles away. The first stop on the bus will be at Tequilla Beach club where many people opt to enjoy their day ( read reviews on this club ) and the second stop is at the taxi stand on the edge of the pedestrian only area of Mahahual. After climbing from your mode of transportation you will find an information booth that can point you in the direction of different water sports at reasonable prices. Along the left side of the village of Mahahual you will find a stretch of free beach that runs for about 1-2 miles in length. Along that beach you will find bars and restaurants, beach chairs, massage tables, etc. for your enjoyment. The further you walk along the beach the quieter the beach area generally gets. Along the right you will find many restaurants and vendors plying their wares. Beverages generally run about $1.00 per soda or $2.00 per beer to up to $5.00 for different mixed drinks. It is not uncommon for a group of four to enjoy a large tray of food and several drinks each for the low cost of $30.00 total. Massages run about $20.00 for around 30 minutes. Tourist areas of Mexico generally only use purified water for cooking, beverages, ice. Even the Mexicans drink only purified water.

Beach breaks are fine for those who are uncomfortable trying to manage on their own or for those that consume vast quantities of alcoholic beverages in extrememly short periods of time.

Many assume that the beach at the port of Costa Maya is a mob scene and it can be quite crowded at times when there are three ships in port. But that is the pier area that they are generally describing. The long beach area of Mahahual is almost never crowded and I have never seen a mob scene there. When it comes to shopping you will generally find much better prices and the option of bargaining at Mahahual where it is customary for the Mexicans to try to entice you into their business to conduct a sale with them. A simple no thank you if you are not interested should suffice. Shopping at the port has the option of less bargaining ( this is a sport in Mexico and can become quite fun if you enter into it with the right frame of mind) and more fixed pricing and can be quite crowded at times.

Whatever a cruiser chooses to do I hope they have fun doing so.

thank you for the info ... it is clear the difference between the 2 and as this is our first cruise, we will definitely take the advice most give on this board and plan to take the taxi into town and find a beach club, then head back to the pier to check it out b4 we board the ship. this board has helped very much to make me as informed as possible to make my choices. thanks to all and happy cruising. counting down 26 more days to paradise ... currently below 10 degrees with wind chill below zero in NY:eek:

Archived