Barcelona Airport to Hotel: taxi vs. renfe

We'll be in Barcelona for a few days pre-cruise this July. We're trying to decide between taking a taxi or the renfe from the airport to the hotel. We are four adults in our 30s. We plan to purchase the T10 pass, which we can use on the renfe. Our hotel is near Passeig de Gracia metro station, which is a renfe stop. Is public transportation while schlepping luggage too much of a hassle? Does paying extra for a taxi outweigh that hassle?

I realize that this is a personal decision, but I appreciate your input and the advice from your experiences. :)

The train using a T10 ticket would certainly be the cheapest (€10.30 for 10 journeys - leaving you 6 journeys for use during your stay). The taxi would be about €25-30.

Whether you are prepared to do the journey with your luggage only you can say. Bear in mind if you arrive at terminal 1 you will need to take the free shuttle bus to terminal 2 to get the train.

Personally, I would take a taxi if I wasn't sure where my hotel was but I am considerably older than you :D

Edited by RollieUK

Renfe is a great choice if you each have one piece of big luggage. Any more than that can be a pain. But, as you pointed out, the airport train stops at Passeig De Gracia. It's an effortless trip, really, depending on how far your hotel is from the station. Also, the "station" is underground. You'll probably take a few escalators to get up to the street. Takes about two or three minutes from train to street.

Thanks for the advice.

Do the metro stations on the RENFE have esclators/elevators or stairs up to the street? I could carry a 50-lb (22-kg) bag on an elevator/escalator, but I don't think I'd be able to carry it up/down a couple flights of stairs.