All Day In Santorini

TAC1582

Our cruise will have a stop in Santorini in late April, 2015. We are most interested in seeing Oia but also Akrotiri. Given that these are in opposite directions, I was wondering if it might be best to rent a car rather than relying on bus service. I wasn't sure about bus service to Akrotiri. Our ship is scheduled to be in port all day (7:30 AM to 10 PM). Since this is early in the season, it seems opening hours and bus service will be limited, but crowds would be less. Would you try both these sites via bus that time of year?

We just returned from a week stay on Santorini, loved it! We used the local buses to get around the island. We found them to work well for us, however, they were always full, many times people had to stand. Since you will have the full day I think you can see both Akrotiri and Oia using the local buses, however, I would recommend renting a car for the day.

We tried to rent a taxi but it was very expensive. We went to a rental car place and the gentleman charged us $30 euros per person. They drove us to Oia and waited there about 45 minutes so we could shop and see the sites. He then drove us down to the beach where we had lunch at a restaurant he recommended and then we used the beach right there to lay out. He came about 2.5 hours later and drove us to Fira where we shopped some more and took the tram back down to dock to catch the launch.

Remember if you are a diamond member you get to get off the ship on the first boat. I got tickets and we left on the 2nd boat. Very easy to get the tickets and I got there early while my sister/niece slept.