Looking for info on Uniworld Mekong River Cruise

Holly1225

Can anyone tell me how to find threads on Uniworld River cruises and specifically the River Orchid? It sails the Mekong River and includes Angor Wat. I was able to find Viking Cruises when I took them a few years ago, but can't find Uniworld. Thanks in advance.

I am taking the Uniworld Vietnam, Cambodia & Mekong River Cruise in a couple of months. I'm looking for any information on the trip -- 1)What's the food & staff like? 2) What is a usual daily schedule - meal & tour times etc. 3) Unlike the European cruises, I gather there is wine included only with dinner & and local beer & wine throughout the day --Is that correct? What are prices at the bar like? 4) How is the ship maintained? --does the AC work well & what's the WiFi like? 5)What are the tours like? - How many passengers are assigned to each guide? Do you keep the same guide for the trip?

These are just some basic questions. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible that boat is too new or new to Uniworld so there is little or no info on it? Also remember the river cruising community is a very tiny one compared with the ocean cruisers and very few find their way to cruise critic. And cruising in that part of the world is newer and smaller yet!

Did you use the search function and just put in Mekong River??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934842

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2066393

This is interesting.... Am wondering how long Uniworld has done that itinerary? However anything they do would be a class operation!

Neither Uniworld but very informative :)

Edited by nana541

Your probably right. I also posted today on the River Cruise thread a more detailed list of questions and 60 people have viewed it, but no one has responded. I presume that means no one has been on this Uniworld cruise.

I found threads on the Mekong cruise, but, of the ones I've looked at so far, none have been about Uniworld. I've been to Vietnam & Cambodia before (not on a river cruise) so I know the sights will be outstanding. And the hotels they've chosen are spectacular. I'm more interested in the practical issues of any cruise.

Thanks for responding and sending the links.

If anyone out there has been on this cruise, PLEASE respond.

I would read all the posts you can find regardless of the company. The combined experience is going to be representative of your experience on Uniworld. They are a first class operation and based on my reading of the little info about these itineraries they are well like whether it's Viking, AMA or Avalon... So if Uniworld is also offering these trips it will be very very similar to what others are experiencing.

You might also check the Uniworld FB page as sometimes people post of there and Foder's also have some Forums don't know if they cover river cruises but it's a place to look.

The description of Mekong cruise and tour is available on the Uniworld web site. You can get a description of the ship Uniworld is using by clicking in the ship's name on the itinerary and pricing page.

Not positive but the ship looks like a similar ship we took on a Myanmar tour with Viking last January. Viking called the ship the Viking Mandalay, in fact it was leased from Pandow and was actually named the Indowchina Pandow. I too had trouble finding the ship on the countdown clock drop down window, probably because the Viking Mandalay does not exist. I believe that Viking leased the ship and crew from Pandow. I'm not saying that this was a negative, the crew was excellent. I'm just annoyed that Viking was not more forthcoming with what they were actually offering.

Not positive but this could be the case with Uniworld. If you look at the ship's picture on their web site you will notice the the ship does not have a name, I suspect a little photoshop work by Uniworld's marketing executives. The Viking ship on their web site has an unnamed ship also.

I have detailed what I think are deficiencies with this type of ship in previous posts. you can do a search to find them.

Thanks for all your advice & I will follow it. Believe it or not Trip Advisor had forums on this cruise. I was very surprised, because I don't think of looking for cruises on TA. Its an old thread (March 2014), but I posted a detailed question. I'll see what I get. BTW - the couple of people who commented on this cruise, loved it.

I also looked at Fodors, and they didn't have anything on this cruise.

Thanks again