Getaway compared to Carnival Dream and RCCL Freedom and Oasis

jbitzer

Going on Getaway in a few short weeks. Have a S5 Haven cabin reserved .

Family has been on the following ships and trying to compare:

Disney Magic (2005)

Carnival Dream - first year it was operational

RCCL Freedom of the Seas (2011)

Oasis (2013)

From the various threads of compare Getaway to Oasis/Allure- I know there are obvious differences between the Getaway and those ships such as lack of neighborhoods, no true WOW factor, narrow hallways, limited pool space, poorly designed.

So is Getaway similar to Carnival Dream? Spouse didn't like the Dream, thought it was too crowded, poorly designed, limited pool space, as well as some other issues.

We have a Haven cabin reserved and due to a promotion, UDP and UBP are included with our reservation. We had a spa cabin on the Carnival Dream- how would these compare?

I sail on the Getaway on 8/2, and am anxious to make this comparison myself having sailed Allure and Oasis both. The Getaway is nothing like the Carnival Dream, much more to do and see. Nothing wrong with the Dream if you like the Carnival product, but it is just another Carnival boat with none of the innovations found on NCL or Royal ships (if that matters to you of course).

I'm only on the Getaway due to the same deal you got (UDP/UBP) plus the Haven suite was only 15% more than my boardwalk balcony on Oasis (originally had it booked that week). So it cost more, but I'll come out ahead once you take drinks and specialty dining into account.

I'm sure I'll have a great time, mainly because I'm in the Haven and know that I won't mind the "missing" Solarium. NCL has better suite perks, but Royal has bigger suites. I'm in a Haven courtyard penthouse suite and already know that the balcony (and cabin itself to some extend) is tiny by comparison, even to junior suites on Royal (Oasis class at least, haven't done a JR on other Royal classes).

Suites are generally out of the question for my family cruises, and I feel that Royal offers a better deal than NCL when comparing the Getaway to the Oasis class boats. Between the Solarium pools/hot tubs and 4 different main pools+main hot tubs the Oasis class boats have plenty of room for all despite the number of guests. You can buy access to Vibe on NCL, which has no pool, but I'd rather have a Solarium area with a pool (pool and hot tubs for Oasis class). NCL has rope courses, waterslides, walk the plank, Royal has flowriders, etc.

I think that service, food, and indoor entertainment will be comparable on both. For those that like water I think the Oasis class boats have a significant edge. As I said before, NCL has the definite edge on the suite experience, which I'm excited to be able to afford during the tail end of the peak summer season. If I was in a non-Haven cabin the lack of pool space would bother me on the Getaway, as I like to have that option.

Royal does a little better with the teen program IMO, as it breaks up the ages more whereas NCL dumps all the 14-17 together.

The Oasis class boats really have to be experienced. People assume they will feel crowded, but they really don't. Royal did an amazing job of spreading venues/restaurants/entertainment around and it really keeps the guests evenly disbursed throughout the ship. Even the embark/disembark process is amazingly smooth.

Edited by JasonV1

My family has enjoyed every RCI cruise, as we think overall, RCI is better for teens, onboard shopping, onboard activities and food. However, NCL's suite experience is so much better than RCIs. If you are not sailing in a suite, then go on RCI. If you are sailing in a suite, especially the Haven ships, go NCL.

I have been on NCL twice. Every day on a cruise is awesome, but our Gem trip to Bermuda compared unfavorably to every RCI trip. Too small, cramped, crowded, and service was not as good as RCI.

Our cruise on NCL's Getaway however, was fantastic. We sailed in a 2 bedroom family suite and LOVED the Haven. The Haven suite experience is so much better than RCI's, even though RCI has a very nice suite experience. The Getaway outside the Haven, seems to have low ceilings, odd layouts, not much shopping, cramped pool areas and no Wow factor. It's a nice ship, but it doesn't have the ease of flow found on RCI. However, NCL's Haven is amazing. The Haven restaurant, bar, staff and sun decks are wonderful. It really is a separate ship within a ship. You don't have to leave the Haven unless you want to on sea days and you could eat all of your meals in the Haven and not feel like you were missing anything. The speciality restaurants and entertainment on the Getaway outside the Haven were a lot of fun. Take advantage of the UDP and try Moderno (get the roasted pineapple), Le Bistro, The Noodle Bar and the Sushi. Le Cucina was nice and had really good service, but I'm not a fan of Italian food in general. The rest of my family assures me though that Le Cucina is very good. Try to be seated outside at all the restaurants that have that option: it's very nice. The Getaway shows are good too. My daughter and I had fun at Legally Blonde and really enjoyed Burn the Floor. My husband and I and our two teens would go back on the Getaway in a Haven suite in a flash. We love the Allure and the Freedom too, but the Getaway gives Oasis class cruisers a nice dose of variety.

Here are more of my thoughts on the Getaway, scroll down to #13 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069395

Have fun!

I loved the solarium on the Oasis! It was wonderful.

Hopefully the Getaway Haven will compare- (although it is not adult only- I do think the Haven itself is marketed poorly)

I'm also glad to know there were other Carnival Dream haters-- it was just so crowded and busy all the time.