Air + Hotel Package for Tahiti Worth It?

pteague

Hi all,

I see that Windstar offers an Air + Hotel Package (see link below). I see the flight is from LAX to Tahiti; however, we are on the East Coast and would have to factor that flight in. I'd appreciate any advice on whether the package is something that is worthwhile or if we'd be better off booking flights and the hotel ourselves (we're building in a day on the front and end of the trip).

http://www.windstarcruises.com/specials/dreams-of-tahiti/

I just returned from Tahiti and it sounds like a decent deal. We booked everything on our own and it came out pretty close to that price. The only thing I don't like about it is the hotel. We stayed for 2 nights at the Hilton on Moorea (just a short ferry ride away) in the overwater bungalows and I can't say enough good things about the hotel! It was fantastic with great snorkeling right off your bungalow. After the cruise we got a day room at the Intercontinental and it was also a very nice hotel. I heard from several other passengers that the Meridian was rather run down and far away from the airport.

I've stayed at Le Meridien Tahiti and really enjoyed it! The resort is located further away from downtown or the airport, so it's in a quiet area of the island.

Le Meridien offers a large white-sand bottom swimming pool. The hotel rooms are fairly large and comfortable. I found the guests at this resort more international as a mix than the some of the other resorts in Tahiti (which meant the beach and pool areas were quieter) and the food offered quite good.

You might be able to find a lower price air and hotel package if you inquiry with your travel agent. Just ask!

Enjoy Tahiti! :)

Denise Blackmore, MCC

We also stayed at Le Meridien and loved it. We stayed in a regular room for two nights and a bungalow for two nights. Definitely get the bungalow if you can. We rented a car and drove all around the island and saw everything that is on the map. It was a real waste of time and money. The best snorkeling on the entire island was right there at Le Meridien. Take a taxi into town for the amazing evening of food truck extravaganza called the "Roulotte" on the Papeete docks. It was our favorite thing that we did during our pre-trip (besides snorkeling). BTW, the taxis have flat fares from Le Meridien to Papeete which are posted right on the window. It's very easy and safe.

My only complaint about Le Meridien was the breakfast. There is a lovely buffet but it's insanely expensive. And if you try to order table service, it takes about an hour for the food to come. We did the buffet, but I had to look away while signing the bill. Our friends refused...they walked to a little coffee shop a block away and got coffee and croissant. They were also able to pick up sandwiches on baguettes which they brought back to the bungalow for lunch.

The food in Tahiti in general was AWESOME. The bread... omg... I must have eaten at least a baguette a day. It was really really good. There's also a specialty called "poisson cru" which everyone makes a little differently. You must try it as often as you can.

ENJOY!

PS I think the package is a good price; we paid more than that for just our airfare LAX to PPT. We flew from Philadelphia and stayed three nights in LA first. I highly recommend at least one night in LA prior to the flight. Coming home was harder: midnight flight from PPT arrives in LAX at 11 AM, then we had a 1 PM flight from LA to PHL. Try to book all your flights on the same ticket so that your bags can go all the way! Our friends had to go get their bags in LAX on the way back and then re-check in & security for the flight from LA. They missed their connection.

Edited by jprubenstein

Even if you book return segments on different PNRs, most of the time you can still "interline" your luggage so you don't need to pick it up. Key is that not all airlines will interline with all other airlines.

The real issue with different PNRs is that if you miss a connection, the second airline may not protect you and will just treat you as a no show and cancel your ticket. Not a good thing. If all segments are on one ticket / PNR then there is an obligation on the airlines part to put you on another flight.