Castaway Club- Will my Cruise Be Cheaper?

MrBanana1240

Found a cruise, booking in a day or so.

Hate the price but I can't get over how amazing the reviews are! Really can't wait to get onboard my first Disney cruise.

If I like it, ahhh, who am I kidding.

When I LOVE this cruise and I refuse to cruise any other line but Disney, will the price go down due to my castaway club membership? Or is the only way to do that is to get the credit card?

Also, if anyone happens to know, when is a good time to wait to book? Are there any good sales coming up? I'm traveling with my 14 year old so are there deals for teens or kids or something coming up? Thanks!

Can't wait to be apart of the DCL family (:

If you book your next cruise while on board' date=' you'll get 10% off the cruise fare portion of the ticket + an onboard credit based on the length of the cruise.[/quote']

Oh great, we were considering Alaska in 2016! That'll be grand! Thanks!

I know they say you get 10% off if you book on board. But honestly, you can that or better if you book at a later date.

For example, travel sites which book cruises often give you ship board credit which amounts to the same savings.

For Florida residents, which I know you are not but I am, the Florida residents rate is great. It applies to cruises which are about 2 months out and not all cruises have those rates. But I have to say I have never paid full price for a cruise from any line. (my 2012 7 day DCL cruise with a FLR rate was only $1800 for 2 adults with a veranda room, we booked 16 days before the cruise)

Education is the key, start looking ahead of time so you know whether it is a good deal or not. And you need to asses your risk of needing a specific date cruise so you can book air travel and time off from school and work. Some people book a year in advance, I would never do that. Some pick a week to cruise, schedule their time, then book a month or two out for the best rates. Lots of ways to save money on cruise.

Castaway Club doesn't give any discounts for cruise fare. It offers a few little perks onboard, and that's all. A small stateroom gift, and then higher up in the level (10+ cruises or so) you get benefits like booking excursions early, etc.

The Disney Visa offers a discount, but it's based on how much you charge on the card, so if you don't normally use a credit card a lot, then it isn't worth it.

Rates for Disney cruises are at their lowest when the bookings first open. After the first week or two of a new cruise being opened for booking, the cost usually just goes up and up.

Rates for Disney cruises are at their lowest when the bookings first open. After the first week or two of a new cruise being opened for booking, the cost usually just goes up and up.

Yes, but they do go down the closer to sailing time you get so they can fill up the ship. The best time is right after the final payments are due from people who book months is advance with just a deposit. Then, they have got to book those rooms and fill that ship!

Yes, but they do go down the closer to sailing time you get so they can fill up the ship. The best time is right after the final payments are due from people who book months is advance with just a deposit. Then, they have got to book those rooms and fill that ship!

On most cruise lines this is very true. It's rather rare for Disney cruises to go down. Usually they'll start by moving people from lower categories up to higher categories, and the only rooms left to fill are inside staterooms.

It's not very often that a Disney cruise isn't fully booked by final payment time.

The Florida residents rates will kick in, and maybe sometimes, a Kids Sail Free......but if you don't live in Florida, that's no help at all. And even if the cost does go down, if you don't live close enough to drive, the cost of last minute airfare (even within 2-3 months) is so high it doesn't make it worth it.

Edited by MizDaisy

The onboard credit says "up to" $200.....how is the OBC determined?

It is determined by length of cruise only now. It used to be a combination of length of cruise an castaway club status, but....alas, all good things come to an end. They just took everyone down to what had been the silver level--$100 for cruises less than 7 nights, $200 for 7 or more nights

It is determined by length of cruise only now. It used to be a combination of length of cruise an castaway club status' date=' but....alas, all good things come to an end. They just took everyone down to what had been the silver level--$100 for cruises less than 7 nights, $200 for 7 or more nights[/quote']

Well, still better than nothing, I guess.

I just canceled the NCL Getaway cruise we'd booked for next year....too much going on, a daughter getting married being the biggest thing....but it had included a rental car in Miami, two nights' hotel at a Marriott or better, all other ground transportation, $400 OBC and trip insurance, for a 7 night Eastern....cost for two adults in a family balcony stateroom, $2700. I HATED having to give that up. :(