Looking for St. Maarten Le Galion & Butterfly Farm excursion

JMaryland

My husband and I and our four year old daughter are going on the Disney Fantasy next month. The boat stops in St. Maarten. I am looking for an excursion that will take us to the Butterfly farm and Le Galion beach but can't find anything. Would it be better to find a driver for the day? Also, I read a post on trip advisor saying Le Galion Beach is not safe. Is this true?? Thanks!:)

I don't know if you are going to St. Thomas as well, but the butterfly farm there is within walking distance of the dock.

Also, it is better to do the butterflies separate from the DCL group. We arrived at the tail end of the group time (as the DCL bunch was leaving). As soon as they left and the noise died down, the butterflies got at lot more active!

I was in St. Martin in February 2014 and went to Le Galion. I thought we'd go to the butterfly but had too much fun at the beach. The beach is great for little ones due to the reef out from the shoreline (you probably already knew that). We felt perfectly safe the entire time we were there. There is a little shake where you can get food and drinks. They also offer lounger and umbrella rentals. The drive to Le Galion is about 25-30 min but it was perfect as our little one (1.5 yrs at the time) had a nap both there and back. I wouldn't hesitate going back again.

Edited by Tagong

I should have mentioned we didn't pre-arrange transportation. We got off the ship went to the taxi stand and asked for a vehicle that could take up to 12 ppl. The van did have seat belts so we used the seat belt to hold the car seat in as you would in the US or Canada in a vehicle that doesn't have the UAS system (ie: we didn't bring the car seat base just the carrier itself). It worked perfectly fine. We made arrangements with the driver to pick us up at the end of the day when we wanted to get back to the ship.

We were just on the Fantasy last week. I believe it was St. Martin where we got off the ship, turned right, and the butterfly place was 2 blocks away. Not a bad walk at all, even in that heat with me carrying my 2yo back.

Nice little place. The young man working with the butterflies was quite knowledgeable and great with the kids.

We were on the Fantasy last week for an Eastern Caribbean cruise. We ended up not making our stop in St. Maarten because of the storm that became Cristobal was in our path and we had to re-route. However, our plan was to do LeGallion (and possibly the butterfly farm) on our own.

It would be nice if DCL had an this as an excursion option. It was annoying to find that basically all the excursions with a beach option were at Orient (and it was the same thing on Royal Caribbean).