Dubrovnik-How to travel from the port to the walled city?

You are in for a treat in Dubrovnik. One of the best things to do is simply walk the walls and then stroll down the main street, the Placa.

The following is taken from the web site http://www.mediterranean-cruise-ports-easy.com/getting-to-dubrovnik.html I suggest you take the local bus, option 4.

If your ship is docking in Dubrovnik, it will always be in the port of Gruz.

This port is 2.5 km away from the Old town of Dubrovnik. So when it comes to getting to Dubrovnik you will need some kind of motorized transportation.

Here are your options:

1. Taking one of the cruise line organized tours. If this is your first visit to Dubrovnik, make sure you choose one of the tours that will take you to the Old Town and give you some time off here to walk around and explore! Really, this is where you want to spend your day!

2. Taking a taxi

– there are always taxis available right in front of the cruise ship. They will charge you about $10 or 50 kn (Croatian kunas) to Pile Gate, which is where you enter the Old Town. Split between up to 4 people it’s actually quite an affordable, quick and hassle-free way of getting to Dubrovnik Old town.

dubrovnik gruz, dubrovnik cruise, getting to dubrovnik, dubrovnik transportation

3. Taking the ship organized transfer bus – some cruise lines will charge for this service and others will not. Inquire about your Dubrovnik transfers, once on the cruise ship, at the Tour desk!

These buses will also drop you off right by the Pile Gate where the pedestrian area of the Old town starts. The ride takes about 10-15 minutes, depending on traffic.

This is where you will catch them to get back to the cruise ship too. Just make sure you inquire what time the last bus back to the port is.

All ships that tender/dock in Gruz will have their bus drop offs here, so also make sure you get on the right bus for the right cruise ship when coming back.

Most cruise lines will have organized a staff member to wait for the cruisers there and keep them organized in a line.

Due to the crowds and long intervals in which buses show up to pick up the guests, it can get very crazy and stressful there. So either be very patient or choose to take one of the last buses, as usually most people will have departed earlier in fear of missing the ship. As long as you catch that last bus, you’ll be fine! ☺

4. Taking a local bus – yes, there is a local bus station on the main street in front of the cruise terminal and you can take getting to Dubrovnik into your own hands. You will find it next to a little newspaper/magazine stall.

Just remember you will need some local currency to purchase the bus ticket. If your ship visits Split before coming to Dubrovnik, you might still have some Croatian kunas sitting in your pocket, but if it doesn’t you’ll need to get them somehow.

Most ships will not have any kunas available onboard. That’s why you will need to get some at the money exchange office or ATM machine at the Main Bus station, which is right next to the local bus stop.

pile gate dubrovnik, dubrovnik walls, dubrovnik old town

Get your local bus ticket in the news-stand for 8kn per person (just over €1) or on the bus for a little more - 10kn. Look for buses #1, #1A or #1B. Get on the bus through the front door only and validate the ticket in the little machine by the driver.

You will get off at the last stop which is right in front of the Pile gate, which is the entrance into the Old town of Dubrovnik.

From there, getting around Dubrovnik is very easy – you will most likely spend all day inside the walled Old town which is a pedestrian only area and you will not need any other means of transportation.

Hi,

I have searched the site and came across some sort of cable car for 10-12 Euro? Also, a taxi. Is there any other way to get from the ship to the walled city? Thanks!

Hi Skygirl.

As it's been said Dubrovnik is a real treat.

I've been twice and followed the same plan twice.

Taxi from the ship to the cable car €15, up the cable car (the ticket office will accept credit cards) the view is amazing.

2776b1d52ee32370430612476dc350a2.jpg

Back down and a 2 minute walk to the wall. Into the town, down the steep steps, take a right and marvel at the Main Street. Onto the wall (again credit cards accepted)

a85b3c6c733ee82d2d2b5e0ee905b63c.jpg

walk around to the harbour, about an hour at a leisurely pace. Down into the port area for a lunch of fresh seafood.

Afterwards find the hole in the wall bar. A bit pricey, but this is the view

dac624aa8f089cda62c043fed7e8f81c.jpg

Walk the town for a bit of shopping, people watching, an ice cream or a drink and a €10 taxi back to the ship.

Unforgettable.

We took a cab, I think it was 15 euro each way. We split it with another couple and had the driver drop us off at the Ploce gate where it is less crowded. We went to the ATM across the street outside the gates before going in, and got 100Kuna. (The cruise ship said they accept Euros in town, trust me...most shops DO NOT accept Euros. Also you need Kuna or credit card for the Walls, they also do not accept Euros.)

After walking the walls and stopping at both Buza bars, we exited the Pile gate and grabbed another taxi back. Very easy!

Hi,

I have searched the site and came across some sort of cable car for 10-12 Euro? Also, a taxi. Is there any other way to get from the ship to the walled city? Thanks!

Your ship may offer a shuttle service from the port to the old part of town, which is what you refer to as the walled city. Check with them first to see what they charge for the transfer. The fastest option is to take a taxi, the cost is 75 Kuna and yes they are owned privately and will accept Euros.

Our Libertas bus system is very good, however for a cruiser it can waste so much of your limited time here. The bus stops at 6 to 7 stops prior to reaching the old town and the cost is 15 Kuna and you pay the driver. There are small news stands which sell the ticket for 12 Kuna, but again you will be wasting time trying to locate one.

I have been told that cruise lines are advising passengers that Croatia does accept Euros - NOT TRUE. The legal currency of Croatia is the Kuna, everyone must accept it. There are many vendors who advertise in Euros, it is done for the ease of the majority of our guests who are from Europe.

The city wall and cable car rate is 100 Kuna, per person - no other currency but they do accept credit cards. I have attached the cable car website for you. Enjoy

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Boreus: It is obvious that from your information it has been a few years since you visiting our town. None of the rates you quote are correct, rates have increased. The law regarding Euros has also been changed. All vendors must accept Croatian Kuna, that is the legal currency of the country.

This website is so helpful and I appreciate all of your information. THANKS! Also, wondering if the bus ride is a beautiful tour type of ride? If so, let me know. Otherwise, I will believe that the 6-7 stops are not worth the view along the route and just skip the bus. (Some local bus routes are quite beautiful.)

This website is so helpful and I appreciate all of your information. THANKS! Also, wondering if the bus ride is a beautiful tour type of ride? If so, let me know. Otherwise, I will believe that the 6-7 stops are not worth the view along the route and just skip the bus. (Some local bus routes are quite beautiful.)

Nope, it is not a tour bus ride. Here is the site for a great 2 hour bus tour which is something I do every year. It is open air, so only runs weather permitting.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

For Dubrovniktravelady ... we will visit your city next month for a day. I have read elsewhere that a good option is to hire a "taxi tour" at the pier that will take us to the view points at the top of the cable car, then drop us off at the Pile Gate. We would then walk at least the lower half of the walls and visit the inner historic part of town. We will be a group of 4 ... your opinions and any sense of the cost? We're all very mobile and not in a hurry - our ship is in port until midnight. We're also open to better ideas.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank you for all the information you provide travelers. You mentioned the open air bus that was a 2 hour tour. I am wondering if you can get off at any of the stops and reboard later? Also, do you know the price. That really sounds interesting. We are looking forward to the great gelato (best ever) we had when we visited the walled old city a few years ago. Thank you.

Judy

For Dubrovniktravelady ... we will visit your city next month for a day. I have read elsewhere that a good option is to hire a "taxi tour" at the pier that will take us to the view points at the top of the cable car, then drop us off at the Pile Gate. We would then walk at least the lower half of the walls and visit the inner historic part of town. We will be a group of 4 ... your opinions and any sense of the cost? We're all very mobile and not in a hurry - our ship is in port until midnight. We're also open to better ideas.

You can visit a nice selection of our historical sites, Rectors Palace, Sponza Palace with the memorial to the fallen young men of Dubrovnik. Franciscan Monastery with the old pharmacy display and other artifacts. Also the Dominican Monastery which is absolutely lovely with the water well which supplied water during the 91 war. Walking the side streets and get off Stradun, find the small hidden gems.

Not sure what a taxi tour will cost, depends on how much time he drives. You may want to check with the taxi drivers who will be waiting at the docks for passengers. If you do take the taxi to the top of Srd, then ask him to drop you at Ploce (plo-cha) gate, makes an easier entry into the old town.

When you speak of the 'lower part of the wall' I assume you mean the sea side which does have less steps. All rates quoted are per person: Wall is 100 Kuna, cable car 100 Kuna and both accept credit cards. Four adults in a taxi should run, I believe, about 200 kuna plus perhaps, which is 2 on the cable car.

I have heard the cruise lines are very mistakenly telling passengers that we accept Euros here. NOT TRUE, the legal currency of the country is Croatian Kuna, use any of the ATM machines for some cash.

Of course you must understand that I always suggest hiring a good private guide and experience a better sense of our history. However so many who have been here for a few hours seem to believe Dubrovnik can be done on your own. Later this month I am going on an private tour with a local historian who can date our time back to earlier period than 700AD. I have been here 6 years and am still discovering...

Enjoy your day here!

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank you for all the information you provide travelers. You mentioned the open air bus that was a 2 hour tour. I am wondering if you can get off at any of the stops and reboard later? Also, do you know the price. That really sounds interesting. We are looking forward to the great gelato (best ever) we had when we visited the walled old city a few years ago. Thank you.

Judy

Recently I check with Cabrio sightseeing bus, no they do not permit passengers to use it as a hop on, hop off. It is a 2 hour tours, with English headsets and excellent descriptions. The cost is 60 Kuna per person, website attached.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg