Internet on Zuiderdam

cruiseskeptic

Can anyone tell me what the internet deal is on the Zuiderdam? I am bringing a laptop. Is there wi-fi, or do I need some special phone to connect in my stateroom? What speed is the connection? Is there a flat-price unlimited usage option? You get the idea. I would appreciate any info you all can provide. Thanks.

There are Wi-Fi hotspots around the ship with fairly good connections. Packages include 100 minutes for $55 (I think) and 250 minutes for $100. There is a one-time hookup fee as well of $3.95. You can also do the pay-as-you-go thing where you are charged per minute.

Can anyone tell me what the internet deal is on the Zuiderdam? I am bringing a laptop. Is there wi-fi, or do I need some special phone to connect in my stateroom? What speed is the connection? Is there a flat-price unlimited usage option? You get the idea. I would appreciate any info you all can provide. Thanks.

Everything you want to know about internet connections on HAL ships, including where the WIFI hot spots are on each ship, can be found at:

http://www.mtnsat.com/ds_kbyg_hal.htm

Everything you want to know about internet connections on HAL ships, including where the WIFI hot spots are on each ship, can be found at: http://www.mtnsat.com/ds_kbyg_hal.htm

• $3.95 +
  • 250 minutes for $100
  • 100 minutes for $55
  • Pay-as-you-go $.75/minute
  • Dialup from cabin $.50/minute
  • No unlimited usage plan
  • Speed is about 56k

Candy <-- posting from the Internet Cafe on the ms Zuiderdam

How is the connection/speed when using the internet on Zuiderdam Caribbean (in the internet room, not wireless)?

We were on Golden Princess / Caribbean last Dec and their internet room had really fast service, even on sea days. On Zandam Alaska last week the speed was so slow it wasn't even worth using.

Question (from a very non-technical computer idiot!): Was the difference in speed due to difference in locations of ship (Alaska, vs Caribbean) or does Princess have better service than Holland?

We are on Zuiderdam the first week of Dec and I am curious what to expect with internet speed.

Thanks.

According to the Internet Cafe attendant, the 'Satellite' connection in the cafe is comparable to 56k. Dialup from my cabin seemed to be about the same. What really bothered me was that my ISP is notoriously slow and when posting a reply to CruiseCritic, the system actually timed out before the upload could complete. I had to turn off all the cool stuff and get my post down to only a few lines for it to take.

Candy <-- liked the cabin dialup the best

Candy's prices above are correct. However, the connection speed varies depending on which package you take and from where on the ship you connect.

Stateroom: 56k

Internet Cafe: up to T1 speed but limited by the wireless connection. If you want to check email only, try a wired connection package in the internet cafe with speeds up to T1.

Wireless connection outside of the Internet Cafe: the wireless connection was unreliable and very slow at times.

My suggestion: if you want to upload pictures, you will need to get the wireless package since the wired connections (ie: Internet Cafe workstations)do not allow for upload of pictures but only to surf the internet and check email. Use the wireless hot spot in the Internet Cafe, quick and reliable.

Archived