Diamond shopping - advice

sharbear508

My bf and I are thinking about buying a loose diamond while in St. Thomas or St. Maarten. I've done a bunch of research already about what we want to get and have read a lot of the recent posts on this board. I'm looking for some more advice/suggestions/words of wisdom from those of you who have experience. What stores are reputable? How much in savings should I expect? Any bargaining tips? Any warnings or horror stories I should know about? Any info would be much appreciated!! Thanks!! ;o)

Do as much research as possible prior to your trip. Decide what size of diamond and qualities you are looking for. Choose what style of ring setting you want also.

Visit as many jewelers in your area and make notes on prices, qualities etc. Take all of this with you on your cruise.

Contact some of the jewelers prior to your trip via email and tell them what you are shopping for. Try to be as specific as possible. When you arrive at their store they will have a few pieces set aside just for uyou to look at. You are no not just one of the masses but a friend they have been coresponding with. Most of the jewelers spend at least an hour or so a day in the evening catching up on their email.

There are a few bargaining tips and things specific to the Caribbean shopping experience on our website, such as being the first customer of the day etc. Shopping for jewelry in the Caribbean can be a very nice experience if you are fully informed.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

thanks for all the info! i checked out your website also - lots of great information! i've e-mailed a bunch of the stores on your site, but so far they don't seem to have what i'm looking for. any suggestions on how/where to find the best selection of high quality loose diamonds?

thanks!

I really can't endorse one store over another, it just wouldn't be fair. I have been in each of these stores and have looked at their diamonds and jewelry. All of these merchants are highly competitive with each other and keep their prices pretty competitive also. You may find one store that will specialize in higher color or clarity and another that may feature larger stones of lower color or clarity. The secret is to find a merchant that you are comfortable with, discuss with them what you are looking for and they should be able to help you. The advantage to shopping in the islands is that they carry such a huge inventory, available for you to see.

Most of these stores have been in their area for generations and their reputation means everything to them, they want to be in business for many more generations. One merchant's family I know has been in the jewelry business at least 13 generations, 2 of those generations in the islands.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Hi,

My husband and I have been married 10 months. We researched diamonds until we felt like our heads were going to explode. I suggest that you get a loose stone graded by GIA, it's known to be the best and most accurate. Also, I suggest looking up loose stones on diamonds.com or bluenile.com. These sights will let you choose the color, clarity, and cut and price range. The prices you find are a starting point. My husband purchased my diamond in the diamond district in New York City. Also he and I went there in April to purchase a 2 carat marquise diamond for my father-in-law that he gave to his wife. The same diamond in regular jewelry stores are around 23,000 dollars, he didn't even pay half that! Believe me when I tell you do your research and bargain!! I am not sure the about the stores in St.Thomas. My mother bought her rolex in the Grand Caymens and I know it was several hundered dollars cheaper than the states. If you have any more question, I would glady answer them. Good luck!

Archived