Old San Juan

JustKeri86

Hello!

We are planning on exploring San Juan on our own we want to do some shopping and eat authentic foods. Is anything with in walking distance of the ship? If not whats the best way to get around for a family of 4 and where should we head? Give me some tips, please. We've never been to San Juan :)

TIA

Keri

Hello!

We are planning on exploring San Juan on our own we want to do some shopping and eat authentic foods. Is anything with in walking distance of the ship? If not whats the best way to get around for a family of 4 and where should we head? Give me some tips, please. We've never been to San Juan :)

TIA

Keri

Everything is within walking distance in Old San Juan. It is a great city to explore on your own. You don't give the ages of your kids, but people of all ages love the forts, easily walkable, up hill though so if you have a stroller, its a bit more of a challenge, but still doable. There is a nice walking path along the bottom of the old city walls. There is great shopping and places to eat all over. Just go explore and have a great day!

Hello!

TIA

Keri

There is plenty to do and plenty of accessable eateries. Some are in fairly large plazas that will afford you the room for the stroller.

Let me just advise you that although there are "curb cuts" in the sidewalks, they are few and far betweeen in some areas. We had our grandson, who needs a wheelchair and it was an adventure getting from the ship (VALOR) to El Cristobal. It is uphill all the way and you have to zig zag as there are no direct streets. Then including the search for curb cuts, made for a very exhausting trip.

However, there are shuttles that ran continuously, but they were mostly stuffed to the gills. So, plan accordingly.

We are getting into San Juan really early, like 6:15am. Is anything open that early? What we'd like to do is drop our luggage at the pier and explore the forts, etc. But I don't think the cruiseline would let us do that?

To my knowledge... at the Pan Am pier. they will start taking luggage in around 9:30 am. If I am not mistaken you could drop it off there and then take a taxi over to Old San Juan and the forts then come back to actually do the sign in stuff and board the ship when you are done. I don't think the forts open until after 8:00 am (check the US national Park service web site for hours of operation) Enjoy your time there it is an awesome place to explore.