Empress Deck Forward - Thought it was quiet...NOT!

GuitarPlayer

I used to think that the Empress Deck (on most ships) was a quiet deck, because you have cabins above you and below you.

That is true in most cases, but just wanted to make folks aware that some of the forward cabins on Empress might pick up a LOT of noise from the main show lounge (forward deck 3/4/5), because there aren't actually cabins on Deck 6 to filter out the noise.

We were in cabin 7226 on the Liberty (with friends in 7232 reporting the same noise issue) and heard the music pretty plainly, along with electric motors, presumably running movable lights or something like that.

Another set of friends were in 7246 (still forward, but more toward the middle) and heard nothing.

Looking on the deck plan, it's pretty clear there is "blank space" below 7226 and 7232 on the Liberty, and makes sense that we weren't protected from the show lounge noise, but those in 7246 were "protected." :cool:

We aren't the complaining types, nor do we let something like that affect our great cruise adventure. Rather, I'm just making note of it here, to perhaps give someone else a head's up about it on the Liberty and potentially other ships that have "blank space" directly above the main show lounge, where one might (incorrectly) take for granted that the passenger deck (deck 6) would buffer out the sound.

Bon Voyage!

GP

Thank you for the warning. And yes you are correct in your assessment of the lack of "protection" from the blank spaces on deck 6. I am glad you didn't let the noise diminish your enjoyment. The lessons learned for others from your experience: Have the deck plans in front of you when picking your stateroom. And for those that let Carnival pick your rooms remember there are some less desirable locations.

Thank you for the warning. And yes you are correct in your assessment of the lack of "protection" from the blank spaces on deck 6. I am glad you didn't let the noise diminish your enjoyment. The lessons learned for others from your experience: Have the deck plans in front of you when picking your stateroom. And for those that let Carnival pick your rooms remember there are some less desirable locations.

Exactly.

Room choice *can* make the difference between a good and a great cruise.

GP

I am on deck 7 for the 12/13/14 Liberty cruise...I did the Carnival guarantee. We've been assigned decks close to this area. I can sleep through almost anything, but my friend is an extremely light sleeper! I a going to pray she has no sleeping issues. There will be four of us and we have two cabins. Truthfully, if there are any issues, I'd switch Roos with her if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been in cabins near the theater. The shows usually end by 11, and we are out until 11 or later. If we're not out, it's because we're VERY tired, so the thump, thump doesn't bother us that much when we are dead to the world.

It only woke me up once from a mid-day nap, but it was going well past midnight one night. I'm thinking they were having a private party, or rehearsal or something, because nothing was "scheduled" in the show lounge that late.

GP