LIVE from the Coral Princess, RT Panama, Nov 19-Dec 1, 2014

PotatoBug

Day 7 – Costa Rica

Happy (USA) Thanksgiving from Limon, Costa Rica on the Coral Princess! It never cease to amaze me that so many Americans don't understand that almost every country in the world doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, but many on our cruise didn't get it.

We did our usual routine in the morning (I got Diane's latte, my tea, and cronuts for both), and then after eventually waking up we went to the HC for a quick breakfast. We were scheduled to meet our tour guide with Your Lucky Tour at 8:00, so we headed down to the gangway about about 7:40. There was almost no wait to disembark so we were the first of our tour group to show up; the guide commented on how we were early ;) Soon the rest of the passengers joined us in the air conditioned van; there were a total of 8 of us.

We did the “Tortuguero Canals & Zipline” tour. Also included were a fruit stand, a Del Monte banana plantation, and a restaurant with a scenic overlook. Our driver, Sota, spoke very little English but our guide, Cooper, was very fluent. We started out by driving to a small fruit stand where we were each given a tiny banana to eat (yummy), and the women all received a hibiscus flower, to tuck behind their ear/in their hair, from some small children. After a few minutes a little girl also gave a flower to me which I promptly put behind my ear – the little girl giggled every time our eyes met after that. We got to see coffee and cocoa plants bearing “fruit”, paprika plants, ground cocoa, and sampled various fruits. While we were there a second Your Lucky Tour van arrived with our friends Ellen and Ken.

After the fruit stand we drove to the banana plantation, with a short side trip down a road known to have monkeys that hang out near … but not this day. So, onwards to the banana plantation, a stop that was far more interesting than I expected. We learned how the plants reproduce, how long it takes them to grow to maturity and bear fruit (just 9 months), how they are brought in from the fields for processing, and saw them being sorted and prepared for shipping. We had a very brief rain shower while we were there, which only seemed to make things even more humid.

We then drove to the canal for our tour. Each boat held about 20 people, and Ellen and Ken's tour joined ours. We spent over an hour puttering along the canal looking for wildlife and saw quite a few different things: birds, sloths, a cayman, an iguana, and monkeys. That sounds more impressive than it was because the sloths and monkeys looked more like lumps in the trees than anything else, but with the zoom lens on my camera I was able to get better looks. I had the darnedest time trying to find the monkeys despite Cooper's best efforts to describe where they were.

The two tours diverged at this point; ours went to Jungle Breezes (Brisas de la Jungla) Zipline and the other to an animal sanctuary. As we were suiting up for the zipline, though, our guide, Cooper, pointed out some sloths right above us, maybe 4 metres up. He yelled “Mister Rick, get your camera”, and I got some great shots (finally) of a baby sloth climbing through the tree to its mother.

They had driven us almost to the very top so after gearing up we had a short climb to the first of 11 ziplines. We had ziplined in Ensenada Mexico in January and that experience involved some challenging bridges in addition to some longer (although fewer) ziplines. I think I preferred the one in Mexico, but you would be hard pressed to beat the thrill of zipping through the Costa Rican rainforest. We had the option of doing the last line upside down but I was the only one in our group that did it. :)

After some refreshing fresh fruit (watermelon and pineapple) someone noticed some tiny tree frogs (red ones and green ones) so I tried to get some pictures of them. We were then driven to a restaurant, the Red Snapper, overlooking the city of Limon and we all got bought sort of refreshments, and some got food. We paid Eduardo, the owner of Your Lucky Tour, at that point and then we were taken back to the ship. Four of us decided to go to a grocery store near the cruise port to buy local coffee and then we looked in some shops while walked back to the ship. Right at the cruise port there were arts and crafts stands set up so we did some more shopping there … until we literally ran out of cash! ;)

Back on board we were hungry (no lunch) and it was about 3:45 so we quickly showered and went to Afternoon Tea; I think that we were the last ones in there by the time we were done. A couple of times we had had the same wait staff (Snezana and her assistant Marta) in the anytime dining room so I called the DINE line to see if we could make a reservation in her section that night, but they wouldn't let me. We decided to take our chances at show up the door and make the request around 7:15.

After 3 days of long, hot, sweaty port stops we needed to do laundry so we did that while relaxing and watching sailaway from our balcony. The Crystal Serenity was in port with us and we watched her leave first.

We had made arrangements to have dinner with Ellen and Ken, and we walked to Bordeaux with them. Parts of the ship (IC, atrium) were decorated for Thanksgiving and I took pictures as we walked by. At the dining room we asked if we could sit in Snezana's section and they told us that might not be possible … but then the head waiter took matters into his hands and told us that we could have a table in her section.

After a short wait, during which we browsed the “End of Season” sale (mostly things leftover from the Alaska itinerary), we got a table for 6 and were soon joined by another couple with whom we had eaten on another night.

Again, we were so tired after dinner that we just went back to our room and collapsed. After setting our clocks back an hour the night before, going to Costa Rica (to Central Time), we set them forward again to Eastern time.

The ferry pilot did the same to us on our trip (although it wasn't air conditioned up there, but still nice as it was raining). Captain didn't speak english, pilot did, but the best part was the captain letting a few of us 'drive' the ferry... We just steered where he told us, he handled the throttle.

We weren't offered to steer but Diane got to blow the horn :)

Enjoy reading your post daily. Great information, Brent and I are cruising Jan 3rd on the Coral..

I was wondering how the Priness@sea works.. Can you activate this before the cruise or do you have to wait till your on the ship to activate?

Beth

I don't know about that. We activated when we were aboard but I didn't even know the ship had it until then.

My understanding is that there will be an app for it eventually.

Day 8 – At Sea part 1

This was our lazy day. Our laundry was done and there were no activities that screamed “DO ME”. So we took it pretty easy, especially Diane. I woke up and did the usual: get Diane's latter, my tea, and cronuts for both of us. Diane was still tired from our 3 long, hot port days in a row so she went back to sleep while I went back to the IC for more breakfast.

I checked the Patter again and saw a trivia about to start so I grabbed my IC goodies and took them to the Wheelhouse. This time I was a team of 1 so I knew my chances were pretty slim … but I scored 12 out of 20, and the winners had 16. I didn't want a stinking bottle of champagne anyway ;)

I returned to our cabin to collect Diane for the Grand Cayman port lecture in the Princess Theatre, and we stayed after for the Panama Canal video. They showed a portion of the video package (5 DVDs) that you can buy – and we were in it! Considering how much we moved around the ship I was surprised to see our faces; well, Diane's face anyway because mine was mostly behind my camera. :D

Exitting the theatre required running the gauntlet of photo & video staff trying to convince us to buy the DVDs. They were only slightly less annoying than the street vendors in Cartagena. ;) Normally I have no interest in the Reflections video DVDs but I might make an exception for the Canal cruise.

It was after 12:30 by now so we went to the dining room for lunch, and after lunch we went to the Explorer's Lounge for the “Under $500” art auction. Diane wanted to see the art, and I wanted to get the signature of a dancer for the scavenger hunt and I had been told that was a good place to get one … and it was :)

We hung out at the auction for half an hour or so and Diane was still so tired she went back to the room for a nap. I prowled deck 6 and ran into a couple of folks from our roll call (Jill and Beth) heading to Bingo, and then a couple we had dined with also heading to Bingo. So I went and watched Bingo for a while before grabbing a milkshake on Lido and returning to the cabin to type up some notes.

Day 8 – At Sea part 2

Because we chose not to bring formal clothes we ate dinner in the Horizon Court again, and, again, it was almost empty. They, in fact, had half the seating area closed. Our waitress at lunch tried to convince us we should eat dinner in the dining room by me wearing ANYTHING with long sleeves, including a sweatshirt. I'm pretty sure that would not be allowed! She was pushing hard because it was escargot and lobster night.

We planned out a busy night. After dinner we went to the Universe Lounge for the magician, Alexander Great but her was more like Alexander Mediocre, I think. He had a show in the Princess Theatre a couple of nights earlier that we heard people raving about so I assume that one was better. For this show he did some pretty tired, old illusions: cutting a rope, card tricks, palming things, tearing a newspaper into pieces … Nothing was particularly novel, or interesting.

After that show we walked all the way forward to the Princess Theatre for the “Motor City”. When I got the dancer Paulia's signature on my Scavenger Hunt form earlier in the day she said that this was their last performance because their 6 month contract ends with this cruise. As a nice touch Cruise Director Bob introduced each dancer and singer individually and had them tell us where they were from. The show was good, full of Motown music (and not Motown), and we gave it “two thumbs up.”

On our way back to the cabin we stopped by the Explorer's Lounge to gather the last signature we needed for the scavenger hunt from one of the hosts of the Marriage Match game (we ended up getting both hosts to sign), but the game had just begun so we needed to wait until the end. It was clear that one of the contestants was fed some joke answers to use.

We also ran into our friends Ellen and Ken and they told us that Snezana, the waitress in Bordeaux, had asked about us at dinner :)

Day 9 – Georgetown, Grand Cayman – part 1

Grand Cayman is a tender port and we didn't know just how long it would take to get to our independent excursion on shore, so we decided we would head for the waiting area at 8:15 for our 9:30 tour time. I woke to my alarm (one of the few times on this trip that I haven't awakened on my own). I went down to the IC for the usual morning goodies and Cruise Director Bob was there getting his cappuccino and I heard him tell another couple that the captain was braver than him. The skies were grey and it was windy … and as it turns out over the previous few days 8 cruise ships had been unable to port here, so we were lucky.

We had, for the first time, ordered room service for breakfast and it had arrived by the time I returned to the cabin. We ate, gathered out belongings for the day, and went to the Bordeaux dining room to get a number to await a tender. We walked into the dining room expecting hundreds of people to be waiting ahead of us, and but there was only a handful. We sat down and I started to apply some sunscreen and got no further than my nose when they called us to go to the tenders. From our room to standing ashore in Georgetown took less than half an hour, leaving us plenty of time to find our tour.

It's a good thing we had lots of time because I started us walking in the completely wrong direction; right, instead of left, from the dock. But that was ok because after about 2 blocks you run out of commercial area anyway. We got turned in the right direction and with the help of a couple of locals found the right place.

We had booked a SNUBA excursion with the same company that runs the Sea Trek (helmet dive) excursions for Princess, but since Princess doesn't do a SNUBA excursion we were able to book it independently. SNUBA is kind of a cross between snorkeling and scuba (hence the way the names are combined); you breathe through a regulator but the air tank stays on the surface of the water on a raft. You can only dive as deep as the length of your air hose, typically 4-5 metres.

As we were walking we ran into Laura and Ben from our roll call and they said their helmet dive had been cancelled. We were prepared, therefore, for when we got to the tour location and were told that our tour had been cancelled as well. The wind was making the water surface too choppy so it was too dangerous, and under the water was too murky to see anything anyway.

With our plans scuttled we decided to do some shopping and then go back to the ship and treat the rest of the day as a “sea day”. Since most other water-related excursions had been cancelled it looked like many others had the same idea.

We re-boarded the ship at about noon, grabbed some quick showers, and went to Sabatini's for pizza. After lunch we went to the atrium for “Champagne Hoopla”, which is a game where you toss a ring and have to get it onto a bottle of Champagne; there were 5 bottles to be won. The woman in front of me in line was complaining to a crew member that they had been promised a bottle of champagne for their anniversary so I told her that if I won she could have mine. Lo and behold I was the first person to win! She was thrilled when I handed it to her and that made me happier than keeping it ever would.

Diane retired to the cabin for an afternoon siesta and I went to the Wheelhouse Bar for afternoon trivia. I was sitting alone when a woman sat in the next chair and asked if that was ok. We decided to team up, and when we introduced ourselves discovered we were both Canadians. Alas, our score of 14 was not quite good enough; the winning team had 17 … but they got crappy pens (Princess pens just like you can get from your steward) as their prize. Every game I had been to so far had given away a bottle of Champagne, but it gave me an idea: one of the scavenger hunt items was a Princess prize so I'm just going to ask our steward for an extra pen and use that! Especially since I had given away the only prize I had actually won :)

I was headed back to the cabin along Promenade, inside, when I noticed they were starting to stow the lifeboats (tenders). I decided to watch, and video, that process for about the next half hour. I was tempted to ask a crew member about the accident a little over a month ago but wisely decided against that. I'll find someone else to ask at a different time.

The Platinum/Elite Captain's Circle party is tonight at 7, and there's not much to do before then.

Day 9 – Georgetown, Grand Cayman – part 2

Earlier in the day we had seen our friends Ellen and Ken as we were leaving Sabatini's after our pizza lunch, and they had just sat down at their table. We decided to all dine together in the section of our favourite waitress, Snezana. A little while later, when I was walking to trivia, I heard a faint “Mister Rick” from behind me, and it was Snezana. We said a quick hello and I told her we would see her that night.

While Diane continued to nap I watched sailaway from the aft public balcony on Caribe, and typed up part 1 of Grand Cayman. Since we had so much “down time” until the Captain's Circle reception, I decided to start getting our paperwork in order. While I was doing that it occurred to me it would be better to do our “Consummate Host” recommendations now rather than put it off until the last day. We also needed to break some larger bills so we had cash to use as tips, so I went down to the Passenger Service Desk to deal with those errands. By the time I got back to the cabin, though, I had a couple of 10+ minute chats with to different couples that we had met on the cruise.

The Captains' Circle reception was held in the Universe Lounge at 7:00. The highlights were:

• 250 Platinum
  • 83 Elite
  • the top 3 days travelled were: 435, 441, and 622. The biggest surprise to me was that the most-travelled passengers also were celebrating their 50h cruise. That means this 11-day cruise, which was our longest cruise ever, actually brought their average down!
  • The drink served was some sort of rum-fruity thing

We went straight to Bordeaux, where Ellen and Ken were waiting by the door. Ellen had already arranged for us to have Snezana as our waitress. We were seated at a 6 person table where we had eaten on other nights, and a couple from Texas soon joined us.

While we were eating we noticed that a group at a nearby table were some of the dancers from the performance shows. After consulting with our waitress about etiquette, we stopped briefly as we were leaving to tell the dancers how much we enjoyed their shows.

Once again we had taken so long chatting and eating that it ws too late to do much of anything so we just went back to our room and went to bed.

Hi Rick. I just want to say thank you for all you and Ellen did to arrange the meet and greet for this cruise. I disembarked in Georgetown so didn't get a chance to thank you guys in person. Having the connection with you guys and the other Cruise Critic members made the cruise so delightful. Happy belated Anniversary too.

Day 10 - At Sea

When we looked at the Patter the night before we knew this would be a “slow” day because there weren't a lot of activities we particularly “needed” to do, with two exceptions: the Culinary Demonstration in the morning and the Scavenger Hunt Return in the afternoon.

I woke early because the ship's vibration was making so many things rattle. I don't know if they had the thrusters on to counteract the wind but something was making the aft shake more than usual. Anyway, I decided to get up and take pictures of the upper decks since I had only shot the lower decks on our first day. And it was WINDY! When I tried to exit onto the exterior Lido deck it was all I could do to open the door – I had to use all of my weight to get it to budge. But the sky was clear blue and there was a lovely sunrise off the starboard side.

After an hour and a half of taking pictures I picked up our usual at the IC (latte, tea, cronuts) and took them back to our cabin. We decided to eat breakfast in the dining room, and it took an unusually long time. To be fair the waitress told us that omelets would take 15-20 minutes, but it still seemed to take forever for our food to arrive.

We ate quickly and went to the Universe Lounge for the Culinary Demonstration. We went for 2 reasons: first, it's fun and funny, and, second, we needed the handout for the scavenger hunt – that was the last item that we needed. We skipped the galley tour because we have done it before, and went straight to to Onboard Outlet Sale. We each got some shirts, and took them back our cabin to start packing.

We got most of our packing organized and had Pub Lunch in the Bayou Cafe. Then we returned to our cabin to finish our packing. We didn't put our luggage out that night because we were doing self-disembarkation as late as possible so we didn't need to 100% finish it on the sea day but we got as much done as possible.

Shortly before 4 we went to the Crooners Lounge, with a quick stop at the IC on the way. There were 4 other teams that completed the Scavenger Hunt and showed up, and 4 of the teams tied with us with 55 out of 55 points; the other team had 52. So it came down to the tie breaker question: the number of Indonesian crew aboard. We thought we were clever when we asked one of the Indonesian crew members for an estimate but it wasn't good enough. I think pretty much everyone else had closer guesses – the answer was 26 (not 17 as we had guessed). The winners only got Princess water bottles so I wasn't heartbroken to lose.

Diane took a nap while I took pictures of the only decent sunset we had had the whole cruise, and then I went down to the dining room to make arrangements with the head waiter to get a table in Snezana's section with Ellen and Ken. We had made “a date” with them to go to the comedian's early show at 7:00, and eat after.

The comedian, Scot Wyler, did over 45 minutes of standup and was good enough. I was laughing at most of his jokes but there was just something about his show that was … “off”.

Once the show was over there was the usual rush to the exit so we waited our turn and went to the dining room where we were able to skip the line of people and go straight to our table. We had the usual wonderful service with Snezana and Marta. After dinner we got some pictures with Ellen, Ken, Snezana and Marta and said our fond farewells and went to bed.

Hi Rick. I just want to say thank you for all you and Ellen did to arrange the meet and greet for this cruise. I disembarked in Georgetown so didn't get a chance to thank you guys in person. Having the connection with you guys and the other Cruise Critic members made the cruise so delightful. Happy belated Anniversary too.

Thank you Teri! It was a pleasure to meet you and Larry. Perhaps some time you can tell us how (and why) you managed the early end to your cruise.

Day 11 – Disembarkation part 1

When I was booking our flights to return home after the cruise I discovered that the Monday after Thanksgiving is an expensive day to fly, and the routes were not very convenient, so we decided to stay in Ft Lauderdale for a night. We got a good deal on Hotwire to stay at the Westin Beach Resort which, as the name suggests, is on the Ft Lauderdale beach.

I woke up about half an hour before I set the alarm … because the movement and vibration of the ship had stopped! I went to the IC for our usual but, unfortunately, there were no cronuts so I just got a latte and tea. We finished our packing (we did self-disembarkation) and went for breakfast in the dining room at about 8:15.

After breakfast we went to the Platinum/Elite lounge (Explorer's) to wait as long as possible before getting off the ship, to milk every minute out of our cruise. We finally decided to disembark at nearly 10, and there were almost no lines. We were waiting in the Immigration line for non-USA (I'm Canadian, Diane is American) but picked the slow line because the European couple ahead of us took forever. The agent in the next line noticed Diane's USA passport and let us cut in her line; she processed us in about 30 seconds and sent us on our way.

There was a faily long line for taxis but it was deceptive because there was a large group at the front waiting for a van. By 10:30 we were checking into our room at the Westin, and they gave us an upgrade to a partial ocean view. I'm used to “partial view” meaning you need to stand on your tiptoes and look between a couple of buildings for a sliver of ocean. No, this one had large picture windows looking south along the beach.

Rick,

Thank you so much for your reviews. My husband and I eagerly

anticipated reading your reviews each day. We are so much looking forward to our own Panama Canal trip on January 3rd!

Thanks again.

-Kathy

Great review....looking forward to the pictures...we will be sailing on the Coral in February.

Just one question......do you know if they are offering a wine package on board? I read in older posts they did at one point and you had to sign up for it in the buffet area on day one, but not sure if it is still available.

Rick asked if I would respond to this question, since my husband and I had the wine package. First, hello to everyone who is reading Rick's journal! We just got home today and we had a lovely time aboard the Coral Princess, and had fun spending quite a few meals (and part of one excursion!) with Rick and Diane.

We’re wine drinkers, and we strongly recommend considering one of the wine packages, which we purchased on our first evening in the Bordeaux Dining Room. We chose the 7-bottle silver wine package (you can buy a 7, 10 or 12 bottle package) which allows you to purchase any bottle of wine valued at up to $29 a bottle. There’s also a gold wine package for wines valued up to $45 a bottle. This package can be used in any dining location (excludes bars and room service), and if you don’t finish a bottle with the meal, dining staff will cork and store it for you and bring it out at your next meal.

Here are the prices:

Silver: any bottle with a value up to $29

12 bottle package $240

10 bottle package $210

7 bottle package $161

Gold: any bottle with a value up to $45

12 bottle package $336

10 bottle package $290

7 bottle package $217

Ellen

Day 11 – Fort Lauderdale

After settling into our room, I went down to the concierge to find out more information abou the water taxi; many people recommended it as something to do in Fort Lauderdale. While I was exploring the hotel I walked over the pedestrian overpass to the beach across the street. I also went by the hotel pool on the way. It was a very windy, sunny but not very hot day and yet there were people out sunning themselves; I assumed they were Canadians on vacation.

We walked over to the water taxi stop and after about 5 minutes it showed up. They run roughly every half hour and a day-long pass costs $22. We rode it past many, MANY multi-million dollar yachts and mansions. The guide said there were about $1 billion worth of yachts there that day, but a few weeks ago there was a “boat show” and there was over $4 billion worth of yachts.

One of the stops is near the cruise port so we got to see the Coral again before the water taxi took us to the Las Olas area. We got off there, got some lunch, and did some window shopping. We got caught in a brief rain shower, and then got back on the water taxi just before the skies opened up. But not long after that the sun was shining and we were back by the cruise port. We were tempted to get off there and watch sailaway since the sun had come back out but we decided to just go back to the hotel.

When we got back to our hotel we went across the street to the beach where I took pictures of the surf pounding the beach, and of the jellyfish washed up on the sand. I turned around and could see a Celebrity ship, and then a Royal Caribbean, departing but the view was obscured. We soon found out why – there was a rainstorm coming from the south. We got back to the hotel just in time before the rain got to us. The view was so bad we never saw the Coral depart. And we thought our sailaway was underwhelming ;)

We rearranged our belongings in the suitcases and called it a night since we had to be up at 4am for our flight.

Is there a website for the water taxi tours? We are interested in doing one the day before our cruise but were wondering what the hours were. After reading your review, we can’t wait for ours in Feb.

Edited by Grammyluvs

Is there a website for the water taxi tours? We are interested in doing one the day before our cruise but were wondering what the hours were. After reading your review, we can’t wait for ours in Feb.

I don't know if there's a website (I suspect a quick search on Google would answer that) but I do know the water taxi hours are 10am - 10 pm. We saw houses being decorated for Christmas and the guide said that the night time is particularly festive this time of year - we had too early a flight to go back out that night to see.

Day 12 - Homeward Bound

Our travel back to Vancouver was fairly uneventful. We got up at 4am, and were out of our room by 4:45. It took the taxi no time at all to get to the airport (10-15 minutes) but then we encountered a massive traffic tie-up at the airport. Our airline was in terminal 3 so we had to navigate through the mess for at least as long as it took to get to the airport from the hotel.

Check-in for the flight was also a bit of a mess, with one guy having a melt down because he was sure he was going to miss his flight; he made it sound like his flight was in about 15 minutes when, in fact, he was on the same flight as us. The security line was long and our Nexus cards did not get us into the TSA Pre-approval line :(

The flight was packed so they encourage people to check their carry on (for free) at the gate. In fact, they were measuring bag sizes and forcing people to check them.

Once again we were flying through Dallas but this time we had about an hour before the next flight so there was no time to do much but rush to the other terminal and grab something quick to eat on the plane. We were happy to find that no one was sitting in our row (we had middle and window seats) so we were able to spread out and sit in the aisle and window.

We landed in Vancouver right about time, and here our Nexus cards had us clear Customs and Immigration in no time at all. Our daughter picked us up and we were home by 1:15 in the afternoon (Pacific time).

Day 12 - Homeward Bound

We were happy to find that no one was sitting in our row (we had middle and window seats) so we were able to spread out and sit in the aisle and window.

Yeah... who wants to go from Dallas to YVR in December?? ;) :D