NCL | Epic | February -15, 2015 | Nifty or cute saying of some sort :)

SOXBOY911

OK, I didn't have a nifty or cute saying to include in the subject line. I just copied & pasted what was on the list of suggestions! :cool:

This will be my 2nd cruise on the Norwegian Epic. When I originally got interested in this cruise, I was excited that it wasn't on the Epic. Then I read the details more closely. <sigh> Alas, this was on the Epic. This ship was just OK for a Mediterranean cruise, but not a Caribbean cruise. Why? YOU CAN'T SEE THE OCEAN ON THIS SHIP! It's award-winning, but the designer must not have actually sailed before. Oh well, I'm just glad to be cruising again. I hope to run into others on this cruise too. It seems like all of the G&L cruisers are on the same ship, but on a different sailing from the one I'm taking. When my schedule permits, I show up at the FOD gathering place at the appointed time, but I have never found any other G&L people there. I think everyone is waiting to find the other G&L people, and no one speaks up! Maybe this one will be different.

For any other fellow cruisers to this sailing, Welcome Aboard!

• 1 month later...

Randy from Eastern long island here. Just booked this cruise today. Haven't sailed Norwegian in awhile and figured since I was going to be in S Fla anyway, might as well grab a cruise and extend the stay. Traveling solo, hate the single supplement and looked at maybe grabbing a studio but was able to get a good deal on a balcony with the bev package for about the cost that the studio + beverages for the week would have cost.

Welcome.. don't have any tips for NCL and the Epic specifically..Have some general cruising tips depending on the number of past cruises you guys have been on and the level of involvement you want to have with fellow cruise passengers..

I'm not really sure what else I can say regarding the Epic that I didn't say in my original post. I didn't care for the Epic the first time I sailed on it, but I did like NCL. I particularly liked NCL's "Freestyle Cruising" because I do not like to dress up, nor do I like having to pack all kinds of extra clothes just to wear for an hour in the restaurants for supper. It adds to the luggage, which equates to baggage fees from the airlines. As with any cruise, go to have a good time, and enjoy yourself. When you get on board and settled, look for the "Friends of Dorothy" or "FOD" meeting notice on the ship's notification board. Then, show up at the right place and time. It will give you a chance to meet others. I go when possible (like when I'm not at a show) to see who else is there. Like campers, cruisers tend to be very nice people.

What would you like to know? I'm better at answering specific questions than I am giving out general info. I'm sharing a Spa Mini-Suite with Balcony with 2 friends. I would love to see what the single studio rooms look like. They look really cool in the pix on NCL's site.

I'm not really sure what else I can say regarding the Epic that I didn't say in my original post. I didn't care for the Epic the first time I sailed on it, but I did like NCL. I particularly liked NCL's "Freestyle Cruising" because I do not like to dress up, nor do I like having to pack all kinds of extra clothes just to wear for an hour in the restaurants for supper. It adds to the luggage, which equates to baggage fees from the airlines. As with any cruise, go to have a good time, and enjoy yourself. When you get on board and settled, look for the "Friends of Dorothy" or "FOD" meeting notice on the ship's notification board. Then, show up at the right place and time. It will give you a chance to meet others. I go when possible (like when I'm not at a show) to see who else is there. Like campers, cruisers tend to be very nice people.

What would you like to know? I'm better at answering specific questions than I am giving out general info. I'm sharing a Spa Mini-Suite with Balcony with 2 friends. I would love to see what the single studio rooms look like. They look really cool in the pix on NCL's site.

I'm on board with you.. no pun intended.. regarding getting dressed up and carrying all the extra clothes. Usually, I'll just put on a pair of long pants and polo for evening wear and mostly eat at the buffet. I can't really take the 2 + hr dining in the main dining rooms at least on other cruise lines. Have not been on NCL for awhile, became more of a Princess fan, so looking forward to this cruise. You are so right about campers and cruisers. Would love to get a chance to see a Studio also for future reference. I will be attending the GLBT gatherings, or at least go to the venue when it is being held. I have found them hit and miss as far as attendance goes. One question I do have, does the ship post the time and place or like RCCL, a fellow passenger posts a time and place by the pursers desk ? Also over on the roll call, it looks like they might try to organize a M&G and/or slot pull. One poster offered to take it on and there seems to be some interest but nothing yet. Just an FYI. They can be fun too.. or not.. LOL..

Not sure you are aware that there is another string started for this cruise:

"NCL Epic Feb 15, 2015 7 days Western Caribbean" by rj9699. So, there are more of us going to be onboard that it might appear. We, two couples from Sacramento, will meet you all at the "Friends of Dorothy GLBT" meeting that NCL posts in the daily calendar. Looking forward to a fun cruise.

Doug&Ron Chris&Chris

One question I do have, does the ship post the time and place or like RCCL, a fellow passenger posts a time and place by the pursers desk?

Yes, the ship posts a notice. It should be on the bulletin board listed under "Friends of Dorothy" or "GLBT", or something to that effect. If I recall from my last cruise on the Epic, it was every evening at either 6 or 7 PM in Shaker's Martini Bar. That's often a bad time, since it interferes with supper. If I recall correctly, though, we would have a drink there before going to supper. On the cruises I've been on with RCCL, it was at 10 PM at the Viking Crown Lounge, Vortex, (or other bar depending on the ship). I can't remember where the bulletin board was located, but I will check the purser's desk. Somehow I manage to find it on each cruise.

Edited by SOXBOY911
Add additional info

Sorry also Soxboy that you won't be on the cruise. Was looking forward to meeting you.. maybe/hopefully another time.. Thanks also for the contact. Keep in touch and hope you enjoy your cruise !

Thanks for the info SMFguy on the other thread. I will repost over there also. Was not aware of it. Also saw your post on the other site, "on board" under whose going section.

• 3 weeks later...

Brett and I will look in the "Patter" (sorry, but we are Elite on Princess). Never sailed on NCL before. I hope they advertise a GLBT or FOD (whatever) in their daily paper. Hope to see you there! 08FEB15 ex MIA!

Carl (and Brett)

Halifax, NS, Canada

Edited by JetJock_YHZ