Rockley/Accra Beach or Carlisle Bay?

canadian sailing girl

We are doing an island tour in the morning but would like to go to the beach for the afternoon. We should be back from our tour around 2:00 PM so we will have two and a half hours or so at the beach before heading back to the ship. We are trying to decide between Rockley/Accra Beach and Carlisle Bay.

My questions are:

-Will it be fairly easy to get chairs and umbrellas for rent at each of these locations mid afternoon in Feb.? Or will they all be taken by that time? At Carlisle we're looking at Lobster Alive or Harbour Lights. Will they likely be full by mid afternoon?

- How easy is it to get transportation back to the ship? Are cabs waiting at these locations to take people back? Are there shuttles?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We stopped at Carlisle Bay (Harbour Lights) at the end of our island tour a couple weeks ago. There seemed to be a lot of competition between all the taxis there. So getting a taxi back to the ship shouldn't be hard.

That said, we talked to a few people who did one of the Beach Hop tours and they liked Accra the best. I can't speak of taxis from there though.

I always do first snorkeling with the turtles at 9am , Princess offers it $40 in April every year , this year i will be going with celebrity cruises which is much better than Princess now. anyways than we all go to Accra Beach. we take a Cab $25 or the local buses $1.50 which is neat. nice waves, nice sand, nice area. highly recommend . this will be my 5 time to Barbados next week and schedule to be on another cruise in april 2015

It depends on what type of water you want. Carlisle bay is flat. Some days almost like glass. gentle waves, gradual deepening. very serene. There should be ample rentals of chairs / umbrellas but the sand is so nice, a towel will suffice.

Accra/Rockly is a bit more lively water wise. There are some waves you can bodysurf on and some calmer parts as well. if you go out far enough, there is a small reef with fish and such. the water depth prior to the reef doesn't exceed 7.5 feet. gradual slope as well. Lots of rentals here.

Both locations are about close to the dock. 10 mins for Carlisle and 15 minutes for Accra. My personal fave is Accra. There is a Chefette chicken place across the street, local drinks and fish cakes on the beach.

Taxi's are plentiful at both locations. Have fun!