current "Kosher", menus?

tokidoki

att: recent Kosher cruisers, need your help! Please! If you have cruised lately on NCL, I realize they've changed to a company called Sterling. I always contact Group event before I sail to get a sample menu, but this time, I was sent a very different list of choices and it was a different menu each of the 4 nites on the Sky! Was wondering if this was something special or did they change the options, which had some very interesting entrees, not seen before! Will be sailing on the Gem,;) this coming January. Would hope they finally gave us some attention! thx

We sailed the NCL Breakaway out of NYC in November. I'm assuming that the food is the same on the gem. (OUr 5th cruise, and yes, I do think that NCL does kosher food best.)

Sterling is a huge upgrade over Webermans. The food was really good, with rare exceptions, such as all the breakfast omelets which tasted frozen. Each dish is individually wrapped, which helps tremendously. We found that the webermans tv dinners had all the flavors melded together!

Send me your email and i'll send over a pdf of their menu items.

Some of our favorites.

mashed potatoes

steamed green beans

minted peas

stewed carrots

grilled vegetables

brisket

beef bourguinione

snapper francaise

We sailed the NCL Breakaway out of NYC in November. I'm assuming that the food is the same on the gem. (OUr 5th cruise, and yes, I do think that NCL does kosher food best.)

Sterling is a huge upgrade over Webermans. The food was really good, with rare exceptions, such as all the breakfast omelets which tasted frozen. Each dish is individually wrapped, which helps tremendously. We found that the webermans tv dinners had all the flavors melded together!

Send me your email and i'll send over a pdf of their menu items.

Some of our favorites.

mashed potatoes

steamed green beans

minted peas

stewed carrots

grilled vegetables

brisket

beef bourguinione

snapper francaise

Thank you very much for your info. My dream is to have my sister's family with me onboard. But they are but they are "very" kosher, and doubt about food on the ship. Please email me the menus at inna61 at hotmail dot com. Thank you.

Bubby6, thx sooo much, would love the menus, as I sailed this past feb on the Breakaway and Sterling meals at this time were smaller and side were the same! I did get a sample menu from NCL and it had different meals daily for lunch/dinner and there were many selections that looked delish!!! I assume the breakfast selections are the usual? Please email me and thanks again! Barbara....bsk1@mindspring.com

My dream is to have my sister's family with me onboard. But they are but they are "very" kosher, and doubt about food on the ship. Please email me the menus at inna61 at hotmail dot com. Thank you.

I emailed you copies of the menu that i was given on the breakaway. I hope that it is legible.

As far as your sister:

My husband and I adhere to the highest standards of kashrus - Glatt Kosher, Cholov Yisroel and Pas Yisroel only. We had not problems on the cruise. We took along a peeler and a vegetable knife. We made our own salads. The maitre D was understanding. He brought us whole, uncut fruits and vegetables, whatever we wanted. They brought us paper goods. The food has a good hashgacha, and was brought double wrapped. We did, however, bring along our own milk and sour cream. We've done 5 cruises.

Best of luck.

We loved the food on the Breakaway. Having each food served separately made it really easy to prepare good looking dinner and lunch dishes.

We loved the blintzes, waffles and pancakes for breakfast. The omelets were not to our taste. Eggs do not freeze or reheat well.

Let me know if you got the list. The Maitre D offered to print out his inventory list, instead of just the "fancier" printed menu that had only a few items, but different ones each day.

I emailed you copies of the menu that i was given on the breakaway. I hope that it is legible.

As far as your sister:

My husband and I adhere to the highest standards of kashrus - Glatt Kosher, Cholov Yisroel and Pas Yisroel only. We had not problems on the cruise. We took along a peeler and a vegetable knife. We made our own salads. The maitre D was understanding. He brought us whole, uncut fruits and vegetables, whatever we wanted. They brought us paper goods. The food has a good hashgacha, and was brought double wrapped. We did, however, bring along our own milk and sour cream. We've done 5 cruises.

Best of luck.

I got your files, thank you so much! Will be on Gem on January 30, may be next time with my sister...

Bubby6, unfortunately, I didn't receive your email, it may have been caught in my spam folder, please try again! PS, when this happens, if I add the email address to my address book, it works, but its up to you! thx...bsk1@mindspring.com

Bubby6, turned off spam blocker temporarily, so if u email again, it should reach me! bsk1@mindspring.com

Still getting a rejection!

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

bsk1@mindstream.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain mindstream.com by aspmx.l.google.com. [2607:f8b0:4003:c03::1a].

• 4 weeks later...

Got them!! Thank you!! Is it confirmed that Sterling is the provider then? The menus look great..although not a lot of vegetarian options for me :( I guess I could order several sides instead of an entree some days..I usually make do with whole fruits and vegetables and extra stuff I bring like cheese, peanut butter etc. Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

We went as a family during Yeshiva week on the Sky in 2012 and the Epic January 2015. Both experiences were similar. The first day was a disaster but by the second day things normalized. Sterling does okay on some of their menu items - most meats were okay, hamburgers very good, but the frozen fish were not so good, dairy dishes contain non-dairy cream for some reason in addition to dairy, and eggs are loaded with chemicals making them taste very salty. I recommend bringing a bottle of salad dressing as no dressings, even bottled, on the Epic were kosher. The first night it took them two hours to get us our meal and we were one of the first tables seated. They blamed it on 600 people ordering kosher but they know that ahead of time. Kids loved the chicken tenders but they ran out after the first night. For the last half of the cruise the meal choices were very limited but we were able order double-wrapped salmon and potatoes. We also had brought cold cuts, peanut butter, and hummus onboard. All in all it is was we expected but I imagine some people slipped a Benjamin here or there to secure those chicken tenders for their kids through the duration of the cruise.

Edited by Divemaster Dad

Menu changed daily with the same choices for the last few days. Stay away from the pareve and dairy meals. Side dishes are just okay. Some of the meat dishes are real tasty but they do not last. Be sure to bring your own supplements such as cheese, cold cuts, and grape juice if you'll be cruising on Shabbos. You don't want to pay $30 for a bottle of Manishewitz.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone-

Just back from the Breakaway -

the ship was great - the weather wasn't - & with school vacation - there were more than 1500 kids & teens - still good times!

Wanted to briefly share - about the Kosher food

was provided by Sterling

lots of choices for each meal - just order the night before -

(can eat in any location - food will be brought to where you are sitting)

we had: Burgers- beef & turkey; Chicken Tenders; Beef Ribs, beef bourguignon, hot dog, vegetable & mushroom barley soup - - generally meats were good - however the soups were fair

We find NCL does a good job of accommodating Kosher/special diet requests.

Also of note - for the Friday night passenger led service- there were almost 100 attendees - the boat provided wine, grape juice and challah.

Happy Sailing!

Mark from Long Island

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is our first cruise on NCL, so I just have a question as to how the kosher meals are ordered. On the other cruise lines we have sailed (RCCL, Princess and Celebrity), as we had the same seating, table and waiter each night, we would just order meals for the next day at dinner the night before. But since we will not be at the same table, with the same waiter, etc., how do you order the kosher meals? Do they have to be ordered at the meal itself (which I would think would make for a significant wait)?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.