A few questions?

lmf27

Just a few quick questions to anyone who will respond. If you are not going on an excursion offered by Costa approximately how long do you have to wait before you are allowed off the ship? Also about how long does it take to get off the ship if you are with an excursion offered by Costa?

We plan on purchasing one of the wine packages, which comes with I believe 6 bottle of water. But is it worth bringing extra bottles of water with us?

We were also told nothing was included on this cruise, except for food, tea and coffee. But I have noticed in some posting that you are not charged for fruit juice, is this correct? I called Costa with a bunch of questions and they said we would have to pay for juice, water, soda, and alcohol. Is this true?

I have also read that people have had their travel irons taken out of there luggage. Some people have posted it is a fire hazard on a cruise, but I don’t know much about cruising since this is our first cruise. I’m just curious because after the cruise we will continue our vacation and if need to I would like to use my iron on the cruise. Does anyone know if they will remove it from our luggage?

We planned on bringing shampoo and soap with us, just wondering one what size we should bring or do they replenish?

We were planning on bringing beer from the US to give as a gift to our family in Palermo. We thought this would be no problem. I know they take alcohol off of you and lock it up for you until the end of the cruise. I called Costa with this one as well; they said if I brought it they would take it off of us and not give it back until we disembark in Rome, which is pointless. Did any of you get away with bringing alcohol into the ship in its original container? What about if it is wrapped as a gift, which it will be, or is it not worth it?

I know I have asked before, but just wondering if anyone went to Savona on your own. Is so what did you do/see and was it worth it? Or should we just go on the Portofino excursion?

Last question how does everyone dress on the non formal nights? Women - dresses, skirt and top, Capri’s and top? Men - pant, polo shirt, and long sleeve button down shirt? Is that typical dress or dressier?

Thank you in advance for all of your input.

Lmf27:)

I will try to answer some of your questions:

If you are not going on an excursion offered by Costa approximately how long do you have to wait before you are allowed off the ship? Also about how long does it take to get off the ship if you are with an excursion offered by Costa?

We only had to wait about half an hour after the organised excursions had left, it is then very easy to disembark. When we went on an organised excursion - it did seem to take quite a while, as there are loads of people queueing, and all have to be told which number bus they will be on etc.

We plan on purchasing one of the wine packages, which comes with I believe 6 bottle of water. But is it worth bringing extra bottles of water with us?

I think there were 10 vouchers for bottles of water with the wine package - you can exchange them for bottles at the bars or in the restaurant, but you will get bigger bottles at the bars than you will get in the restaruant. We didnt need any extra - as there is water available from the drinks machines( and you can top up your bottles) in the Belllagio Buffet.

But I have noticed in some posting that you are not charged for fruit juice, is this correct?

There is definitely fruit juice available at breakfast time, and coffee most of the morning, and tea in the afternoon, (all for no charge) in the Bellagio. In the restaurants, you can also ask for tea or coffee after your evening meal. But if you order coffee in one of the lounges, you will have to pay for it.

We planned on bringing shampoo and soap with us, just wondering one what size we should bring or do they replenish?

You will need shampoo and soap to last the cruise, although there is a large container of shower gel in the shower.

Last question how does everyone dress on the non formal nights? Women - dresses, skirt and top, Capri’s and top? Men - pant, polo shirt, and long sleeve button down shirt? Is that typical dress or dressier?

What you suggested for non-formal nights will be fine.

Sorry, cant answer question about iron - as we didnt take one.

Taking Alcohol - dont know because we didnt take any.

Hope some of that helps a bit.

Have a great cruise.

It is correct that you are not allowed to use an iron in your cabin but there is a laundry/ironing service available.

Shower gel and soap are provided (and replenished) but not shampoo.

On my recent cruise some people were VERY casual on non-formal nights - jeans and t shirts etc. Even on the formal ones there were surprisingly few suits or jackets around for the men, although the women tended to dress up a bit more.

Our dinner table companions took up one of the wine/water offers and thought it was well worth doing. We never bothered to buy the bottles of water to take off the ships as it was much cheaper to buy ashore.

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the info. But one more question. What about what to wear for excursions? Shorts (men and women), a nicer tee shirt or polo better (men), a nice tank top (women). We just don't want to be turned away from Cathedrals, b/c I don't have my shoulders covered or my shorts are not long enough. Would I be better wearing a skirt or capri's? Thanks for the help again. We are looking forward to the upcoming cruise...

Sincerely,

lmf27

I would say that if you are hoping to visit Cathedrals or churches, then you would definitley need to have your shoulders covered, and a skirt would be better than shorts.

Having said that they do often have shawls to hand out, but I think it is better to be dressed appropriately in the first place, dont you? Saves any embarrassment anyway.

Have a great cruise.

Imf27 wrote:

If you are not going on an excursion offered by Costa approximately how long do you have to wait before you are allowed off the ship?

Zero minutes.You don´t need to wait.Just leave the ship whenever you want: before, during or after the organized excursions.

Sorry twojays, but I am talking about my own experience.

(Remember, the organized excursions have different timetables).

Archived