Bacardi on our Own - Timeline?

Jimmy Jams

Hello Everyone,

I think my brother in law and I are going to do the Bacardi tour during our visit in October while sister and the kids explore OSJ. I know we are gonna be out a few bucks, but we like rum:D

Can anyone give an estimate on how long this will take to get from the terminal to the distillery and back? I understand the tour is about an hour + however long we want to sip some drinks. We are trying to plan out when we would be able to meet back up with the rest of the family after the tour is done.

Thanks!

The ferry terminal is maybe 1 block to the left of where the cruise ships dock, just walk to your left to Pier 2.

You want the San Juan-Catano Ferry, which takes less than 10 minutes, and probably runs about every 15-30 minutes.

Round trip fare should be $1 pp . But a RETURN ticket in San Juan, which means you buy both tickets at once- there and back. Saves standing in line twice. :D

Once you get off the ferry, there will be guys who are calling out 'Ba-car-DEE, Ba-car-DEE'. These are the colectivo van guys. They aren't sketchy. It's too far to walk to the factory, so they collect you in vans, and you pay to go each way- figure $4/pp each way. They will collect a vanfull and take you to Bacardi. This is about a 10 minute trip each way.

At the factory, you can do a basic $12 tour, includes movie, tour, cup, 1 drink ticket, or choose from a couple of upgraded tours for $35

You take a little trolley across the grounds (liability purposes, this is a working factory, so you don't get to go wander around on your own). The tour is cute and nicely done.

When you are done, you end up back where you started, and there is a gift shop, restrooms etc, then go take a colectivo back to the ferry and then ferry back to San Juan.

And then go to the Don Q storefront and do a rum tasting there (free) to compare- that is more popular with the locals. :cool:

So basically, with the assorted lines, figure 20-30 minutes each way to get there, plus an hour or so at the factory. Add in some wiggle room for any weirdness, and you're at around 2.5 hours total.

The ferry terminal is maybe 1 block to the left of where the cruise ships dock, just walk to your left to Pier 2.

You want the San Juan-Catano Ferry, which takes less than 10 minutes, and probably runs about every 15-30 minutes.

Round trip fare should be $1 pp . But a RETURN ticket in San Juan, which means you buy both tickets at once- there and back. Saves standing in line twice. :D

Once you get off the ferry, there will be guys who are calling out 'Ba-car-DEE, Ba-car-DEE'. These are the colectivo van guys. They aren't sketchy. It's too far to walk to the factory, so they collect you in vans, and you pay to go each way- figure $4/pp each way. They will collect a vanfull and take you to Bacardi. This is about a 10 minute trip each way.

At the factory, you can do a basic $12 tour, includes movie, tour, cup, 1 drink ticket, or choose from a couple of upgraded tours for $35

You take a little trolley across the grounds (liability purposes, this is a working factory, so you don't get to go wander around on your own). The tour is cute and nicely done.

When you are done, you end up back where you started, and there is a gift shop, restrooms etc, then go take a colectivo back to the ferry and then ferry back to San Juan.

And then go to the Don Q storefront and do a rum tasting there (free) to compare- that is more popular with the locals. :cool:

So basically, with the assorted lines, figure 20-30 minutes each way to get there, plus an hour or so at the factory. Add in some wiggle room for any weirdness, and you're at around 2.5 hours total.

Thank you so much!! Exactly what we were looking for. I appreciate your time :D

We went in December, when we got off the ferry there were no vans waiting they can't pick you up at the ferry terminal. Walk out to the right and go a few blocks to the parking garage on the right that's where the taxi vans are.

FYI Don Q store closed in Old San Juan, we were bummed we liked stopping in for a free taste.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don Q is closed. We were so upset on our cruise last week when we passed the empty store. We have been going to Don Q for the past 35 years..... since our honeymoon, when it was up the hill in OSJ with a cozy bar and great bartenders. Then it moved and we had to settle with the updated storefront....now it's gone.......