Transportation and hotels near cruise terminal?!?!

DisneyCruizin

Help! First timers with DCL and are flying in from Las Vegas the night prior to our cruise date (we don't want to take a red-eye with 2 kids...we'll be too excited to sleep!). Looking for recommendations for a transportation company that can get us to a hotel near the cruise terminal so we can just take a shuttle to the terminal the next morning. Has anyone used alternate transportation other than what Disney "provides"? Also, any recommendations of a hotel with shuttle service? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We use happy limo. What you can do if you don't want to make 2 transfers is stay near the hotel (Embassy suites has a shuttle) and then head to the ship in the AM via town car. This means you have options in Orlando depending on when you arrive (like a cab to downtown Disney).

We do that and have Happy Limo pick us up at hotel after breakfast, gets us there in plenty of time for the cruise.

Help! First timers with DCL and are flying in from Las Vegas the night prior to our cruise date (we don't want to take a red-eye with 2 kids...we'll be too excited to sleep!). Looking for recommendations for a transportation company that can get us to a hotel near the cruise terminal so we can just take a shuttle to the terminal the next morning. Has anyone used alternate transportation other than what Disney "provides"? Also, any recommendations of a hotel with shuttle service? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just so you are very clear, the cruise terminal is an hour away from the airport. DCL transportation runs from airport to cruise terminal only on cruise days.

If you stay at a hotel near the cruise terminal, you will pay for 2 modes of transportation (some hotels build it into their cruise package hotel stay, but you're still paying). You'll pay from MCO to the Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area AND from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Closest hotels in port area are Renaissance Inn, Ramada, and Country Inn and Suites. Hotels in the port area tend to cost a little more than in the airport area.

If you stay in an MCO area hotel, most offer complimentary transportation to/from MCO. In the morning, you can arrange a towncar or limo service to the cruise terminal. Happy Limo, FL Tours, etc. will happily transport you. There are MANY nice hotels in the MCO area. We've liked the Country Inn and Suites and Hyatt Place NW. We did not care for the Hampton (older, breakfast minimal). Hyatt Place NW is walking distance to TGI Friday's for dinner, and breakfast is at the hotels in the morning.

A third option is a one way car rental. You can rent at MCO and drop off in Cape Canaveral (be sure to enter CAPE, not PORT when searching...Budget code is CC5). It is one road all the way to the port. The car rental places offer complimentary shuttles back to the cruise terminal.

The most convenient, but also most costly is to stay in the airport at the Hyatt MCO and take DCL transportation. You can eat at the airport food outlets and have a wide choice.

You can also choose a WDW hotel for your overnight. Magical Express will get you there at no additional charge. You don't need to go to a park--enjoy the resort and Downtown Disney. In the morning, have a limo service pick you up for transport to the port or wait for DCL transportation.

Lots of options....depends on what time WE arrive. Disney is farther away and adds to next day travel, but is lovely if you have time to enjoy something. If get in early evening, we typically choose an airport area hotel and eat/sleep.

Edited by moki'smommy

You are COMPLETELY correct to come in a day in advance. Too much can happen with last minute flights. And you'll enjoy the vacation so much more by getting a good rest before you get on the ship!

If you do opt for Cape Canaveral area hotel, Cocoa Beach Shuttle is another option from airport to hotel.

Edited by moki'smommy

We are doing the opposite. Staying at a MCO hotel (Hyatt NW) and taking their transportation to the port the next morning. Breakfast is included as well. We are getting in around 11pm (with an 11 year old, it's not such a big deal). As for cost, the first two people were included in the price of the room and we paid $55 for the third person. I think it came to a around $260 for the room with breakfast and transport to the port.

Again, this makes the most sense for us since we are coming in so late the night before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last year we did a one way car rental from MCO to PC and stayed at the Country Inn and Suites dropping the car off the morning of the cruise.

This year we are doing the one way rental but staying in Orlando.

We use Avis/budget and they shuttle you free to the cruise terminal on the morning.

We are doing the opposite. Staying at a MCO hotel (Hyatt NW) and taking their transportation to the port the next morning. Breakfast is included as well. We are getting in around 11pm (with an 11 year old, it's not such a big deal). As for cost, the first two people were included in the price of the room and we paid $55 for the third person. I think it came to a around $260 for the room with breakfast and transport to the port.

Again, this makes the most sense for us since we are coming in so late the night before.

This is a really nice program and I'm glad to hear it is continuing (they had been discussing whether to discontinue it in 2015!) Especially good as it is round trip transportation. However, it is not part of the "normal" room rate. you have to purchase a special cruise package rate. Still, even at what you are paying, it is a bargain. When it first started, we paid $121 for 2 people for the entire package!

Bottom line, transportation for 3 people using DCL is $210 round trip. So for $50 more, you get a hotel room + breakfast for 3. And they have the best hotel breakfast we've ever encountered.

Right Moki.. I didn't say, it is a special rate found through their website and I will put this in my review after we go (19 days!) but the customer service at that Hyatt is stellar. I emailed because the reservation was booked at two people and there are three of us, and I received a reply right away and a new confirmation.

Oh and another thing, this is NOT the Hyatt AT the airport. It's another one just a few minutes away. When reading tripadvisor reviews, some people reviewed the Hyatt onsite which uses the disney shuttle (I think)

Right Moki.. I didn't say, it is a special rate found through their website and I will put this in my review after we go (19 days!) but the customer service at that Hyatt is stellar. I emailed because the reservation was booked at two people and there are three of us, and I received a reply right away and a new confirmation.

Oh and another thing, this is NOT the Hyatt AT the airport. It's another one just a few minutes away. When reading tripadvisor reviews, some people reviewed the Hyatt onsite which uses the disney shuttle (I think)

You are correct, it is NOT the Hyatt MCO. It is the Hyatt PLACE NW--a lovely hotel IMHO. It is about 5 minutes from the airport. When you have collected your luggage from baggage claim, call them--they will send the driver and tell you the slot for pick up (usually slot 4 or 5). The drivers are nice. There is a TGI Friday's easy walking distance from the hotel (I did it pushing a wheelchair...no big roads or anything). The driver offered to take us somewhere else provided he wasn't busy with airport runs, but we felt Friday's was fine for dinner. The staff is wonderful, breakfast great. All you have to do is be in the lobby at the appointed time for the bus.

I was just on a flight into Orlando sitting in front of a lady who was scheduled to cruise out that same day. She did not want to pay for the hotel the night before her cruise but since her flight was delayed she was having to pay a shuttle driver to rush her to the port. She was so stressed and did not stop talking about whether she would make it to the port in time for the 2 hours we were in flight (note to self to bring earplugs for next flight).

Our flight landed about an hour before the scheduled cruise departure. She ended up leaving the baggage claim without her bags and set off for the port. No idea if she made it to the port in time or what she did about getting her luggage.

Get there the day before your cruise, even it is real late. It is not worth the stress and worry.

I was just on a flight into Orlando sitting in front of a lady who was scheduled to cruise out that same day. She did not want to pay for the hotel the night before her cruise but since her flight was delayed she was having to pay a shuttle driver to rush her to the port. She was so stressed and did not stop talking about whether she would make it to the port in time for the 2 hours we were in flight (note to self to bring earplugs for next flight).

Our flight landed about an hour before the scheduled cruise departure. She ended up leaving the baggage claim without her bags and set off for the port. No idea if she made it to the port in time or what she did about getting her luggage.

Get there the day before your cruise, even it is real late. It is not worth the stress and worry.

I've said the same thing dozens of times. Even if you are on the last flight in that evening, you have options should something delay that flight. It is not worth the headache and hassle of a same day flight.

Best thing (should you have the time) is a few park days first. Worst case, you are late for or miss the first park day and your lost luggage has time to catch up with you. But if you can't add a few days to the vacation, at least fly in the night before.

As to hotel cost, I'm typically able to get a 2.5* (which includes shuttle to the hotel and breakfast) for about $50 total. That's cheap peace of mind.

I have flown in the day of for a Hawaii cruise. We were majorly delayed but luckily, we were on a flight with people who booked their flight through the cruise line. I actually walked around the gate waiting area and asked if anyone was going on the cruise and if they booked through the cruise line. When I got to the first person who said yes, I breathed easier. BUT, it caused a lot of necessary stress, so I won't do it again

Edited by slightlysilly

You are correct' date=' it is NOT the Hyatt MCO. It is the Hyatt PLACE NW--a lovely hotel IMHO. It is about 5 minutes from the airport. When you have collected your luggage from baggage claim, call them--they will send the driver and tell you the slot for pick up (usually slot 4 or 5). The drivers are nice. There is a TGI Friday's easy walking distance from the hotel (I did it pushing a wheelchair...no big roads or anything). The driver offered to take us somewhere else provided he wasn't busy with airport runs, but we felt Friday's was fine for dinner. The staff is wonderful, breakfast great. All you have to do is be in the lobby at the appointed time for the bus.[/quote']

Well no time for dinner since we land close to midnight. But I am looking forward to the breakfast!