Freedom 3-28

suzannety

We are thinking of booking a cruise out of Galveston the end of March. Cruised a few times with our oldest son when he was a teenager and loved it. Now, our youngest is eight. Are there kids of all ages on most cruises? All of our other cruises have been over Spring Break or summer. Are there plenty of kiddos even during school times? I want him to have plenty of friends to pal around with.

Edited by suzannety

Oh, I'm sure he will have a great time, but since we have only cruised during traditional school vacations times there were tons of kids. Just wondering if there are tons of kids during non-traditional vacation times.

I wouldn't say tons but there will be plenty of friends to be made for your kids. There are year round schools and different holidays all around the world and of course - the parents who take their kids out of school regardless. Your kids will have lots of other kids to hang out with on the ship.

Thank you TSOH! I assumed so but since I hadn't seen it first-hand, I wanted another perspective. It's his vacation too and he is a social beast and as long as there are a few other friends on board for him, he will have the time of his life:)

We cruised the Freedom in early December before school was out and there were a good number of kids. My son was just shy of 2, so he couldn't participate in Camp Ocean yet, but we saw large groups of kids getting dropped off at Camp each day while we were playing in the Dr. Seuss Bookville area. The ship certainly wasn't overrun with kids, but we saw plenty of them. I think he'd have a great time and would find plenty of playmates. If you're interested, see my signature for a link to the review of the Freedom I wrote (from the perspective of my son). Lots of stuff relevant to someone traveling with children. I say, go for it! You'll all have a blast! :D

We have taken 5 cruises in the last couple years. Of those four of them were during school times and one during the summer, yes we are those parents that take our daughter out of class for vacations.

I would say that other than the Disney cruise, which was packed with kids, the ships didn't have as many kids as the summer cruise we did. On one cruise we did in September I would guess the ship had less than 20 kids around my daughters age. Another one we did in April had quite a few. I'm not sure you can know how many kids are onboard till you get there.

That being said our daughter loves cruising. She is ten now and has never complained about the quantity of kids...actually like the Disney cruise the least. Lots for them to do both with parents and without.

Matter of fact...headed out in two weeks for another 7 day cruise with her....bringing two grandmas too. :)