Guest Relations Day 1

cathysmom

Will be going on our first DCL cruise in May. Reading all the posts have been helpful. I should have started taken notes earlier. Guess I'll start now.

What are the top reasons to visit Guest Services on Day One?

Thanks!

Will be going on our first DCL cruise in May. Reading all the posts have been helpful. I should have started taken notes earlier. Guess I'll start now.

What are the top reasons to visit Guest Services on Day One?

Thanks!

The line can be LONG, so you don't want to go to GS unless you need to. READ the Navigator that is available in the terminal. Many of the things that you might think you need to go to GS for can be handled elsewhere.

Tickets--for Elsa/Anna, Princess greetings, gingerbread house making. May be handed out elsewhere

Adult "tastings"--wine, tequila, whiskey, etc. These are typically at GS only

Problems with KTTW card, missing onboard credit, stateroom issues, etc.

Stuff done in other places:

Dining changes are handled at a separate location (typically Royal Court/Lumiere's, but we've seen lots of different locations so check Navigator)

Adult dining reservations--easiest to go directly to the restaurant

Spa appointments will be handled at the spa

Nursery reservations at the nursery

Excursions at the port adventures desk

dropping off pillowcases for character signing

If you are on a cruise of at least 4 days, I'd let this wait till at least the first evening. It doesn't have to happen the afternoon that you board. Take them to dinner with you on the first night and drop them off before or after dinner. Typically the line will be much shorter than right after boarding.

This is the exact reason DCL is their own worst enemy and victim of their own success at the same time.

The only reason you should be going to GS on day 1 is as stated above.

NOT for tickets to Character meet and greets or for tastings.

Make then available online 48 hours before the cruise departure time of 4pmto EVERYONE to book.

How crap does it make it for everyone with a real issue like lost baggage or non functioning KTTW card/problem with their account process to have to stand inline behind someone with a photo matt, tee shirt or plate they want an anonymous person to sign as a character?

They just fail to deal with processes they allow a little, and a little bit more, and then a little bit more until they overwhelm themselves with no real process put in place, but still have the same keep everyone happy policy :), everything will be OK! :) and end up disappointing or frustrating so many on what could be their first cruise ever.

(looking at it from the way Disney teach you to, don't ever say worry in front of a Guest, point with at least 2 fingers incase someone thinks you are pointing at them not the bloody pool/stairs/elevators BS) and suddenly that long line at GS doesn't look so great when you first walk onboard and there is a long line of people waiting to speak to a GS CM does it?

Why are they all queuing? Whats gone wrong for all of those people? Should I be worried? Are we not going to sail? etc etc etc.

Disney psychology back at them.

You want a photo matt/plate/tee shirt signed?

Install a desk in the terminal to drop it off while YOU wait, not the poor Guest behind you at GS with a real issue to be resolved.

Sorry, no offence meant to anyone who want's stuff signed.

They did it as a courtesy thing at first, and allowed it to get out of hand and into a service they offer, and you have every right to drop it off.

There should just be a more managed procedure for these things.

SOP's as Disney like to call them. Standard Operating Procedures.

ex techie

In fairness, I have seen someone from GS come out when they are really busy and "work the line," trying to dispatch guests elsewhere when they don't need to be in the GS line or answer simple questions that may keep some standing in line. It works to shorten the line a bit so that only those who need the GS computer system actually remained in the line. But that doesn't happen all the time.

If you are on a 4 or 7 night cruise, wait till the next morning to drop off your signature stuff or do other GS chores that have no urgency attached.

So It sounds as if we want to do the "tastings" we should go to the GS 1st.

Spa and the Spa and dining at Palo or can I reserve this online?

Spa, dining at Palo can be reserved on line in advance. If you can't get what you want on line, there are more openings available on board.

You can always play "divide and conquer" for making reservations if you have 2 adults in your cabin. One adult goes to GS to do whatever is needed there (tastings, etc). The other goes to "dining changes" or to pick up character tickets or whatever. Your cell phones will work at no additional charge till the ship sails, so when one of you gets a reservation, text the other so they know what time is taken!

• 2 weeks later...

Is this new, as I have always had to go to guest services to get this done. Maybe it is what time we have boarded, but I have not found guest services to be too swamped during embarkation. Maybe it depends on your sailing? I do agree, it would be frustrating to have to wait for me to book my tastings when your KTTW card is not working properly. So for that, I do apologize, but darn it, I love those tastings! Now, if I can do it online before getting on the ship, sign me up!

I've never been able to book the tastings on line in advance,but that doesn't mean it hasn't been added to the on line stuff in the last few months.

The line at GS varies...as they are moving more things to other locations, it has been becoming more manageable. If you have read the Welcome Aboard Navigator and it says to book tastings at GS, you have as much right to be there as anyone.

There are many reasons to be in the line at GS. IF everything has gone smoothly at check in and everything is working correctly on the ship, the lines aren't bad. If not....well, we've had some unique experiences upon boarding. MOST are totally smooth, but there is always the exception that makes the rule.

Tickets--for Elsa/Anna' date=' Princess greetings, gingerbread house making. May be handed out elsewhere

Adult "tastings"--wine, tequila, whiskey, etc. These are typically at GS only

[/quote']

The past 2 cruises I did, Sept 2013 Fantasy and Dec 2014 Dream-the "tastings" sign ups were not at GS, they were in the adult bar area (the district/Europa). I was glad I checked the navigator before getting in the HUGE line at GS.

The past 2 cruises I did, Sept 2013 Fantasy and Dec 2014 Dream-the "tastings" sign ups were not at GS, they were in the adult bar area (the district/Europa). I was glad I checked the navigator before getting in the HUGE line at GS.

My point exactly--things change from one ship to another and from one cruise to another. The smart move is to read the Navigator before boarding (unless you have no waiting at all!) There is no guarantee that things will be done in the same location they were on your last cruise!

Also, you'll often find some good info in the Navigator--like how to get a small internet package free, enter a drawing for a free print from Shutters, etc.