Back from Serenade of the Seas - August 21 sailing

kimbtech

My husband and friends just returned from this fantastic cruise. What a beautiful ship! Lot of viewing areas and glass to see Alaska!

We arrived in Vancouver the day before the the cruise to meet our new grandson and on the morning of the cruise took a city tour. We were dropped off at the cruise terminal about 3:30 p.m. and the place was almost deserted! I've never experienced such a fast check in all our 15 cruises! I highly recommend getting to the ship later rather than earlier.

Our Cabin had a balcony and was very comfortable, even if it was difficult finding a spot for suitcases after unpacking.

We had a nice family at dinner (the Illusions Dining room with an adorable 5 1/2 month old baby who was an angel). Our waiter and assistant waiter were terrific. The food was fine (in both the Windjammer and dining room). They were very accommodating. Room service does need improving.

We explored this wonderful ship for the next couple of days. When we arrived at the Hubbard Glacier the captain took us in VERY close. It was absolutely amazing!!! I couldn't believe how close we actually were. The weather was good (cloudy, no rain).

In Skagway we did a tour to the Summit and in the afternoon a friend and I went to Dyea and went horseback riding. What a blast!

It poured rain in Juneau where we did Captain Larry's excursion (saw a few). Our friends tour to Taku Lodge was cancelled due to weather conditions. They were disappoined, but understood. I love walking around Juneau and visiting all the galleries.

In Ketichan, the weather was perfect! We took a horse drawn trolley ride around the beautiful town and walk all over, including Creek Street. I wish the ships spent more time here. We left in the afternoon for the Misty Fijords. What an experience! It was fantastic in there. The Captain took this 98,000 ton vessel up the fijord and then did a 360 degree turn in the narrowest part of the channel. It felt like you could reach out and touch the land on both sides of the ship. We did see a couple of bears forging around the shore.

It was very cloudy coming down the inside passage to Vancouver, but peaceful.

I would recommend this cruise to anyone considering taking it.

I was on this sailing, too and, even though we did different things in port, I have to echo your comments. The ship is beautiful (if a bit warm!), most of the service was excellent (room service could have been a little better), and Ketchikan was definitely the best place for such heavenly weather!

BTW, we were in the Illusions dining room, too? Where you on the starboard side? There were a few babies on the ship, but only one in our dining room that I noticed. If that was your group, we were by the window, forward, with our two boys (ages 4 & 7).

Barb

Your are right about the room service - they did mess up two orders of ours. We were in the Illusions (the other side was Mirage). I believe there was only one baby in the dining room during our sitting. He was adorable. On the second formal night, he was dressed up in a tuxedo. CUTE! I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful time, as did we.

Archived