Would you revamp the MDR kids menu?

KatieBug28

Wow, did some of you even read my original post? You keep telling me to order off the adult menu, which I have already stated that we do. Those are my rules, and we never actually see the kids menu the entire trip. So it isn't a "parenting issue" in my family. I'd simply like to see more options for kids!

And we don't order every course for our kids either, because that is just too much food. What I am saying is that if kids want a steak or chicken or something off the main menu, they are going to end up with a giant portion that is too big for most of them. That's wasteful, and it costs Carnival money, which ends up raising the cost of cruising for everyone. I like what KatieCharlotte and others have suggested, with smaller portions of regular menu items.

And yes, I know there is an entire ship full of food for those who don't want to order off the adult menu. But some people want to enjoy a meal as a family in the MDR, so why don't we make it easier for them?

Lastly, regarding the ideas I suggested. Someone complained about a grilled cheese being unhealthy. And I will grant you that the grilled cheese you get at the local family place is pretty gross. But you can make one that is not too bad and still tasty. Use real cheese, and not too much of it. Press it in a panini maker or toast it instead of slathering it in butter. Pair it with tomato soup that's full of fresh basil and isn't swimming in cream. It's not hard. Heck, it's a cruise, I'm not saying they need to eat kale at every meal. I'm just saying it would be nice if there was an option between a giant, high quality meal for a tiny child and a hamburger.

Thank you all for your feedback. Maybe I'll change my request and just ask that they add smaller portions of regular menu items. I know I would order those myself! It sounds like there are a few better options for kids on the American Table menu, so that's great. I don't follow John Heald on Facebook, so I haven't seen the debates there. But contrary to making me want to "let it go," that actually makes me feel encouraged that there are others who feel the same way.

I don't follow John Heald on Facebook, so I haven't seen the debates there. But contrary to making me want to "let it go," that actually makes me feel encouraged that there are others who feel the same way.

You're the one who said you were going to write to John Heald. Just letting you know it's already been discussed twice in the last 2 weeks on his page, so you didn't come up with some earth shattering idea. If you feel that strongly then by all means post your opinion on those posts.

The reason many of us seem impatient is because the issue had already been hashed to death on john healds page. Just like the singing waiters. Oye!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

My kids are 6 and 9 and have been on 8 cruises since my youngest was 2. They have never even seen the kids menu nor would they want to. I love that on cruises that they are willing to try out new things on the menu. We were on the Breeze a couple of weeks ago and my 9 year old actually ate the entire serving of the ox tongue:eek:

I understand OP that your concern is more about the portion size of the adult menu. We had the American table menu and our waitress told us that most main courses can be ordered as a starter portion. We did this several times for our kids and for us. I love the spaghetti carbonara, but I also had another main dish that I wanted. No biggie, she just brought me a smaller portion. We have been ordering main dishes as starter portions for years so I was happy to learn that we still could with the new menus. Have you ever asked your servers to do this?

Also, I feel that it is a little misleading about the whole separate side thing on the American table. You DO still get sides with the main courses. Yes, they are very small portions(think round ketchup size). Just ask the server what comes with the entree and you may not need to order a separate side if your child will not eat a huge portion. I think ordering the starter portion is the key for you. HTH

I hear what you are saying, and maybe its just me, but MDR portions aren't usually huge. I feel like they are reasonable or even on the small side.

I totally agree. The OP keeps referring to the portions as huge but in my opinion I would say they are more the size of most kids meals.

At lunch, my DD will eat "normal" food, which has to include fruit, protein and vegetables.

At dinner, I'm less fussy - we're all on vacation! But she is only allowed to eat a hamburger & fries a couple of nights. She doesn't like chicken nuggets or hot dogs, so we order her the plain chicken breast off the "every day" menu. She also has to order a salad or raw veggies as her "Starter". A Caesar salad with no dressing is her favorite. :P

This time, she tells me she is going to try steak (she likes it at home). Her big thing is the sauces and different spices, so I'm going to try to order some stuff "plain". She does eat spices at home - but nothing too exotic. We've got her eating souvlaki, etc.

It might be nice to have a "chicken on a stick" (kabob) on the kids menu like they do at TGIFridays.

Once, the staff concocted a grilled cheese sandwich as the kids were eating that at Camp and DD really wanted to eat there, but didn't want to miss the MDR.

A few cruises ago, we were seated with a 9 year old and she ate EVERYTHING. She ordered the escargot, shark.... she was very adventurous. I hope my DD will get there someday (she is now 6).