Taking alcohol on board

elaine61

With some lines (NCL) employing booze goons during boarding, it would be good to know what some others have experienced. We like to have some wine in our cabin and do not mind buying wine at dinner. Unofficially, are they allowing folks to bring wine aboard still.

I hate the way NCL make you feel like a criminal for bringing a little tipple to have in your cabin, I have never had a bar bill less than $1000 so i'm not after denying their profits, I just like a few drinkies in my cabin without having to call room service every time. last year on the jewel I saw quite a few people stopped with alcohol and removed from them until the end of the cruise, how petty! I had to buy bottles of iced tea to disguise my Jack daniels, but why should anyone have to go to such lengths and feel naughty?

Cunard luckily are very relaxed about this, we have quite openly taken bottles on board and despite them being quite visible have not even had a raised eyebrow.

I am certain you will not have a problem taking your own bottle of Champagne on board

An interesting point is raised regarding the convenience of having your own 'supplies'.

In the past, I've had the situation whereby you fancy a drink in your room/on the balcony, but it can take ages for it to arrive from room service. So what we did is tell our room steward that we wanted the fridge replenished each day with Coke, Orange juice, beer etc etc. This worked well on QE2 but not QM2 who say that you have to order and sign for each delivery. We've even ended up spending an hour in the cabin just waiting for room service. This is a real waste of time, and people who don't want to suffer this most probably will take their own supplies on board. Worse still, you place an order with room service and it turns up completley incorrect and you have to go through the loop again.... and you start to think 'I wish I'd just brought it with me....'

You'd think that they'd apply a bit more attention to room service as it can generate revenue.

Then again, if you want tip top super dooper room service - get a suite with a butler..... then, there's no messing around and you place an order and it arrives double quick on a silver tray (so to speak). At a price.

Archived