Late flight out of Hobby on debarkation day

pamelazzz

Hello All - There are 5 of us sailing on Carnival Magic in July. Our flight out of Hobby does not depart until 5:30PM. We are looking at ship transfers as the cost of a rental car large enough for all of us and our luggage is over $600.00. My current problem is - what do we do all day until our flight leaves? We'd like to visit Houston, have lunch maybe. Can this be done with a shuttle, private car service? I've been reading and researching and feel like I am missing something. Any input, advice, and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Is that $600 for just the one day???

Have you looked into taking the cruise shuttle to Hobby and renting a car there for the day and returning it to Hobby? You wouldn't have a ton of time, but a few hours anyway.

Could you be better served with 2 smaller cars?

Another option would be to look into hanging around Galveston for a few hours and then using a car service to get to Hobby. I don't know how late the cruise shuttles run??

Is that $600 for just the one day???

Have you looked into taking the cruise shuttle to Hobby and renting a car there for the day and returning it to Hobby? You wouldn't have a ton of time, but a few hours anyway.

Could you be better served with 2 smaller cars?

Another option would be to look into hanging around Galveston for a few hours and then using a car service to get to Hobby. I don't know how late the cruise shuttles run??

Oh, Need-a-vacation - no, I hadn't thought about the one day rental. That is a great idea, see I knew I was overlooking something. The $600 was to pick up when we arrive, the day before sailing, and return on debarkation day. When I first starting pricing this it was the same to have a car for the week as it was for Carnival round trip transfers. Thank you for the replies.

We lived in the northern suburbs of Houston a few years back, I think you might find it more enjoyable to sight see in Galveston for a few hours before your flight out of Hobby. Galveston is a cute little town. Houston is not a city like NY or Philadelphia, not a "walking" city. Not sure what you would do with your luggage though.