3 Day Bermuda itinerary pregnant and with a toddler

mobu2015

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and have found so much useful info to help us plan our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. We chose this itinerary on the NCL Breakaway because, per my thread title I will be 5 months pregnant and my husband and I will be cruising with our 1.5 yr old son. This is our 5th cruise and our son's first. This itinerary is the most low key for us since we live in New York and the port is an easy drive. We also love that the ship will be docked at the same port for 3 days, so there's not a lot of stress about what time the ship arrives and departs in port each day.

Based on my research on this board, I've come up with a very loose itinerary. We are open to suggestions and would welcome feedback!

Day One:

Take ferry to Hamilton then bus to BAMZ. Spend some time here then depending on timing, lunch in Hamilton and ferry back to ship.

Day Two:

Take bus to....a beach. Somewhere toddler friendly, so Horseshoe Bay or other per recommendation/research. Spend 1-1.5 hrs here then back to ship.

Day Three:

Take ferry to St George to sight see a bit via trolley then lunch and back to ship.

We would spend each afternoon around the dockyards exploring there.

Our thought is that our son normally takes a nap around 12pm at home. Being out and about we could stretch that until about 2-2:30pm before we risk a potential meltdown. We have a small stroller (baby jogger city mini) but it's not an umbrella stroller. We won't likely be taking it with us as he's at an age where he hates sitting in it and wants to walk. I've also read only umbrella strollers are allowed on the busses.

We are hoping this loose itinerary looks doable. While we'd love to explore more of the history of this beautiful island we know our limits for this vacation and want to keep it as easy as possible. Thanks for any advice or feedback!

It sounds to me that you have made some very realistic plans for your vacation since you are pregnant and you are taking a 1 1/2 year old with you. Restful time will be good for both of you. Horseshoe Beach has a very protected area on your right as you enter the beach area. I have seen many young families playing in the water there. There are also some nice sheltered coves down the beach to the left but it requires walking a distance in the sand, probably not good for either of you. When you go to St. George on the last day, make sure you keep watch of the times the ferry returns and allow yourself enough time to get back to the ship in time. At noon, in the Town Square, they do an enactment of the dunking of the town wench. They do it every weekday. It is fun to watch. They have a great time doing it and the same woman has played the wench for as long as I can remember seeing it. There is the Maritime Museum at the Dockyard that you might be able to enjoy if you want to learn some of the history of the island. It also houses the Dolphin Quest and you can watch the people swim with the dolphins. Good luck and enjoy Bermuda. It is my favorite island to visit.

Thank you so much for your feedback and your suggestions for St George and the dockyards! I really appreciate your help and will definitely plan on us getting to see the dunking of the town wench as well as the dolphins and hopefully the museum too.

We've heard it's a favorite destination for many and we've wanted to do this cruise itinerary for a long time so we are excited we finally get to go and are essentially "forced" to slow down and not be stressed with a tight schedule :)

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and have found so much useful info to help us plan our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. We chose this itinerary on the NCL Breakaway because, per my thread title I will be 5 months pregnant and my husband and I will be cruising with our 1.5 yr old son. This is our 5th cruise and our son's first. This itinerary is the most low key for us since we live in New York and the port is an easy drive. We also love that the ship will be docked at the same port for 3 days, so there's not a lot of stress about what time the ship arrives and departs in port each day.

Based on my research on this board, I've come up with a very loose itinerary. We are open to suggestions and would welcome feedback!

Day One:

Take ferry to Hamilton then bus to BAMZ. Spend some time here then depending on timing, lunch in Hamilton and ferry back to ship.

Day Two:

Take bus to....a beach. Somewhere toddler friendly, so Horseshoe Bay or other per recommendation/research. Spend 1-1.5 hrs here then back to ship.

Day Three:

Take ferry to St George to sight see a bit via trolley then lunch and back to ship.

We would spend each afternoon around the dockyards exploring there.

Our thought is that our son normally takes a nap around 12pm at home. Being out and about we could stretch that until about 2-2:30pm before we risk a potential meltdown. We have a small stroller (baby jogger city mini) but it's not an umbrella stroller. We won't likely be taking it with us as he's at an age where he hates sitting in it and wants to walk. I've also read only umbrella strollers are allowed on the busses.

We are hoping this loose itinerary looks doable. While we'd love to explore more of the history of this beautiful island we know our limits for this vacation and want to keep it as easy as possible. Thanks for any advice or feedback!

Sounds like my itinerary. Word for word!! I am travelling with a 4 & 7 year old.

A ferry right around Hamilton Harbor is always a nice little interlude and lets you see some of the houses and hotels that dot the shores. The Pink line ferry leaves from the same spot as the ferry to dockyard and you can sit up top and see the sites. You could do this after lunch in Hamilton for fun. Also in Hamilton, the Phoenix department store on Reid Street, one back from Front, has a great toy selection if your toddler is getting cranky. Flying Colours on Queen Street, right up from Ferry Terminal has a great t-shirts and other inexpensive souvenirs.

AR-707169983.jpg

bermuda-ferry-service.jpg

http://rx.phoenixstores.com/

http://www.flyingcolours.bm/

Out at Dockyard there is a very nice playground over near Snorkel Park that the 1.5 year old might love.

172973.jpg

And you might enjoy taking in the Glassworks and Rum Cake factory also out at Dockyard

http://www.dockglass.com/

Thank you all for your replies and fabulous auggestions! You've given us a lot of great info and we look forward to trying to see all of it or at least have some great fallback options if parts of our plan don't work out!