New orleans(cozmel, progresso) VS Jacksonville(half moon cay, nassau)

ccleveland

I am trying to decide if I would like to book a cruise going out of New Orleans to Cozumel Mexico in Progresso Mexico or if I would want to book a 5 day cruise going out of Jacksonville on the fascination going to Half Moon Cay and Nassau

I've been to Cozumel twice but haven't done much both times I went but I have also heard that have to in K is the best Bahamas place to be at. I want to book this today so your decision will gteatly help me.

My only main concern was doing the Bahamas cruise I might have more rough waters and if I took the Western Caribbean going out of New Orleans that the water would be a little more calm. Also the screws is just to be on the ship and get out of being at home for a couple days and me and my wife are not doing any excursions except just two get off the ship and enjoy the sights and go to the beach and enjoy the ship let me know your thoughts

Fascination hands down. Cozumel is nice but Progreso is scary and it is a dump! There is not much to do there. Half Moon Cay is BEAUTIFUL! Nassau is just ok but it is a lot better then Progreso. The Fascination also has more upgrades than Elation. It was smooth sailing to the Bahamas last month.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

I am trying to decide if I would like to book a cruise going out of New Orleans to Cozumel Mexico in Progresso Mexico or if I would want to book a 5 day cruise going out of Jacksonville on the fascination going to Half Moon Cay and Nassau

I've been to Cozumel twice but haven't done much both times I went but I have also heard that have to in K is the best Bahamas place to be at. I want to book this today so your decision will gteatly help me.

My only main concern was doing the Bahamas cruise I might have more rough waters and if I took the Western Caribbean going out of New Orleans that the water would be a little more calm. Also the screws is just to be on the ship and get out of being at home for a couple days and me and my wife are not doing any excursions except just two get off the ship and enjoy the sights and go to the beach and enjoy the ship let me know your thoughts

Well that's a tough one because we've done both EXCEPT our Nassau/HMC cruise -- HMC was cancelled due to weather/rough waters. I very much weigh my choices now when it comes to "tender" ports because they are literally hit/miss ports depending on weather, water or whatever.

Fascination is a much nicer ship, IMHO, and has the upgrades. As far as itinerary, I'd take Cozumel over Nassau any day. We had no problems whatsoever with Progresso and thought it was different and nice. We did not feel unsafe (which we did in Nassau), we walked around the town, walked on the beach (got approached several times but nothing too aggressive) and then did some shopping. It's a very old town - not touristy like Cozumel. Some people like that, some people don't. We're going back on this same intinerary again in October. Cozumel beaches are way better than Nassau!

Good luck! Whatever you decide -- either will be worth it! Enjoy!

We usually will be an iternairy that goes to HMC anyday! We like Jacksonville port, very easy to get too and from.

Also, we are some the rare ones, but one of our favorite short cruise ports is Nassua .

I am sure that you will have fun either way.

Which is a shorter drive?

In Nassau you can walk to the Queen's Staircase for free.

And with Half Moon Cay there should be no additional cost.

However, in Cozumel you can get a cab and go to Paradise Beach for minimal money.

And in Progreso you can get a tour with AutoProgreso.

We went on an AutoProgreso tour to Merida and it was $20 each.

We looked at some buildings on the tour and then walked down the street and got a drink and some nachos.

It was fun.

We got a tour on another trip and saw some flamingos, a beach and some Mayan ruins for around $20 each.

Check out their website, but you can buy a tour from the AutoProgreso lady in Carnival's little shopping area.

Also riding the double decker bus in Progreso is fun. It used to be the Two Dollar Bus, but I think last time it was $3. You ride and a guy tells jokes.

Then there is a flea market that is kind of fun. Just ask for directions.

If you want to buy some good junk, Progreso is the place to do it.

Nice Info everyone! I mean it is more about having a fun time wherever you go and that's what we're aiming for me and my wife don't really have too much money to spend so we just want to spend money getting on the ship to be able to get away from home. Half Moon Cay looks amazing and from what I hear its awesome picture taking area but it does suck that if the weather is bad we cannot go to Half Moon Cay. I think I will just go ahead and choose the Half Moon Cay and Nassau because I've never been there since I have been to Cozumel a few times now. How much is parking in Jacksonville by the port does anyone know?

Which is a shorter drive?

In Nassau you can walk to the Queen's Staircase for free.

And with Half Moon Cay there should be no additional cost.

However, in Cozumel you can get a cab and go to Paradise Beach for minimal money.

And in Progreso you can get a tour with AutoProgreso.

We went on an AutoProgreso tour to Merida and it was $20 each.

We looked at some buildings on the tour and then walked down the street and got a drink and some nachos.

It was fun.

We got a tour on another trip and saw some flamingos, a beach and some Mayan ruins for around $20 each.

Check out their website, but you can buy a tour from the AutoProgreso lady in Carnival's little shopping area.

Also riding the double decker bus in Progreso is fun. It used to be the Two Dollar Bus, but I think last time it was $3. You ride and a guy tells jokes.

Then there is a flea market that is kind of fun. Just ask for directions.

If you want to buy some good junk, Progreso is the place to do it.

Jacksonville is a shorter drive. Just found a cruise for about same price that's coming from Miami on the bigger ships to key west and Nassau and hmc. I think that would be worth it but it's 10 he drive which sucks

Great info. I am leaning towards Jacksonville because it is closer for us to drive and I would rather do a 7 day out of NOLA because of the drive.

I agree if its 7 hours or more it definitely needs to be a seven day cruise or more because of the length of a drive. honestly if you have to drive 7 to 10 hours away and it's a big ship for the same price as a 5 day cruise with a small ship then do it because I found a cruise for a five day in Miami on one of the bigger ships and it goes to the same exact places as in Half Moon Cay and Nassau and Key West

Jacksonville is a shorter drive. Just found a cruise for about same price that's coming from Miami on the bigger ships to key west and Nassau and hmc. I think that would be worth it but it's 10 he drive which sucks

That drive is long.

I would choose Jacksonville and the shorter drive.

Somehow driving to a cruise is more fun than driving home.

That drive is long.

I would choose Jacksonville and the shorter drive.

Somehow driving to a cruise is more fun than driving home.

Yes I agree. The wife and I agreed to do the fascination for 5 day on 9/21. Yay. Can't wait! Booking it now

As far as itinerary, I'd take Cozumel over Nassau any day. We had no problems whatsoever with Progresso and thought it was different and nice. We did not feel unsafe (which we did in Nassau), we walked around the town, walked on the beach (got approached several times but nothing too aggressive) and then did some shopping. It's a very old town - not touristy like Cozumel. Some people like that, some people don't.

My sentiments exactly. Although its been a few years since we've been to either Progresso or Nassau, we never felt unsafe in Progresso. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Nassau. Nassau is one port that we will DEFINITELY have some type of excursion planned if we go again.