May 7 Spirit Review Venice to Barcelona

duffymcduff

So the plan was to get to Venice on Wednesday around noon. High winds intervened and all flights into and out of London were delayed/diverted. When our original connection was delayed for the second time, I spoke to customer service. Could we just get a room and take tomorrow morning's flight? No, no rooms available and that flight is filled. But we were booked on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt with a connection to Venice that night. But first a bus ride to another terminal. We finally reached our hotel about 1am on Thursday. We were weary and dehydrated but went out and ate pizza sitting on a little Venetian bridge. Our luggage was still in London though.

While we had the most necessary meds and toiletries with us, we were wearing the same clothes we'd put on Tuesday morning. We headed to the port to get the cruise line involved in the baggage recovery process. We boarded the ship (after more delays) around 3pm. They provided more toiletries and clean tshirts. It was flattering to be considered to wear size small, but of no practical use at all. We decided to draw a line under Venice and stay on the ship. Luggage came that evening...felt like Christmas.

Lots of time to rest up before the first port, Athens. We joined an independent group of 16 for a tour that included the Acropolis. The weather was wonderful and the guide very knowledgeable. I shouldn't have been surprised at the scale of the Parthenon. It could be seen from almost everywhere we went. Stopped at the temple of Zeus, another huge ruin in parkland. Gyros at the agora and quick visit to museum. Virtually everything has been rebuilt, repaired or restored. What hasn't be destroyed by conquerors has been victimized by earthquakes. Lots of stray, but obviously cared for, dogs roaming around the city.

Next up Ephesus...the House of Mary is the reputed last home of the Virgin Mary. There is a little chapel built on the original foundation. The excavations have revealed about 20% of the old city and about 15% is open to view. We had another very knowledgeable guide and the site was fascinating. We walked through streets, civic buildings, shops and houses. The Terrace Houses were the most interesting, the most crowded and the most dusty as all the work there is under cover.

Today we visited Istanbul...we originally planned to walk around on our own but instead hired a taxi and a good thing, too. We visited the blue mosque and Hagia Sophia grounds, the outer precincts of the grand bazaar and enjoyed a drive around the new city which is not new. The Galata tower in the new city is 1200 years old.

A note on sanitary facilities...in Athens, public toilets have no seats, calling for a position known as hovering...very hard on the thighs. At Ephesus there were seats, but toilet paper was rationed by attendants...handed to you as you entered. In Istanbul I held out until we got back to the ship. Universal rule: If you need to find a ladies room look for the line...there is always a line. Why not build three times as many ladies as mens ? It could be so simple.

We'll visit Mykonos tomorrow, then a sea day before Naples. I'm really looking forward to Pompeii.

Mykonos is beautiful. We slept late and had lunch at Cagney's then back to cabin and found VIP tender passes meaning we could take the next available tender at any time. I don't know who they think we are...maybe they think we're The Secret Shoppers. The sun was bright and the winds were high...a perfectly beautiful day. We just wandered around the picturesque streets, had some drinks and came back to the ship. A welcome change from touring. After dinner we went to the observation area and happened on some good music. In addition to our (now routine) nightly treats, we received comps for a speciality dinner one night. I'm resisting the urge to tell someone in authority that we are not just pretending to travel in the cheap seats. I will write a nice thank you note when we leave and hope they don't wise up before then.

A sea day as we make our way to Naples. This was the best of the sea days so far. I think we were just too tired to really enjoy the earlier ones...they were more recuperation than relaxation. This evening we watched as the ship turned the corner around the toe of the boot and sailed between Sicily and Italy. Chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin.

Breathtaking views during the drive from Naples through Sorento and Positano. Living in Houston is no preparation for European travel. We have no experience of hills. Everything here is uphill. Both ways. Visited lemon grove and sampled limoncello in Sorento. The beach in Positano is all gravel reached by a steep walk down through narrow lanes and the walk up is twice as long. So beautiful though. We were with a Cruise Critic group of eight and our driver, Luigi of RomeInLimo. The roads are narrow, very steep and winding. The drivers are fearless or have a death wish. We had a late lunch with good food and wine tasting at Cantina Vesuvio with a beautiful view to Naples Bay before a two hour visit to Pompeii. Uphill entry was brutal but the excavation is fascinating. So glad the group opted for a guide...it would be easy to lose track of time and ours was limited. Back to the ship and feet up with our (now expected) cheese tray. Really a great day...excellent group and guide. Loved Luigi...very nice and funny.

Hectic stop in Rome. This was the only port in which we opted for a ship's tour...Rome and Leisure. We expected more free time to get lost, but enjoyed seeing the major sights, eating gelato and getting lost in the time we had. Would not do a big bus (I mean coach) tour again. The guide looked like David Crosby though which was memorable and his commentary was interesting.

OMG Livorno!!! Outstanding day with cruise critic acquaintances. Their friend recommended Dany and Tuscan Heart and we were lucky enough to catch this tour with them. Quick visits to Pisa and Florence for the big sights then to winery Casa Emma for lunch and wine tasting. Antipasti of artichoke and tomato crostinis, salami and prosciutto. Wild boar sauce (!) on tagliatelle followed by panna cotta and chocolate tart with an amazing sweet white wine. (Vin Santo) Spent the afternoon sitting on a terrace overlooking the vineyards and drinking wine. Our chance companions were fabulous company. Definitely would have been THE best day even without all the wine!

Packing up/Toulon. Breakfast at Cagney's then packing...don't want to spoil last evening with chores. No plans for Toulon, so just rode cheesy train with even cheesier French music a la 1950s to beach and town center. Strolled, ate ice cream, back to ship. Pretty seaport and naval base, not much for tourists. Complimentary dinner at Cagney's tonight. Scored priority disembarking at Barcelona. Still wonder who they think we are. We certainly have enjoyed all the little perks, however we got them.

And so to Barcelona...breakfast at Cagney's...priority disembark was very easy...bags in separate area...picked up and taxi to hotel. Checked in, left bags and set off down Las Ramblas. First break in otherwise perfect weather...some clouds and a few raindrops. Visited the Picasso Museum and lunched in Boquerias Market on olives, fruit and paella, then back to hotel to get our room and break the toilet. Gave up plan for relaxing and headed back to Bari Gotic and more wandering until toilet fixed. Visited flea market by the cathedral had drinks and dinner and back to room. Peaceful night until 7am when toilet broke again. It has a two button flush system and employing the second seems to set it off. Maintenance arrives at nine so plan for sleeping in abandoned. Out to cafe for breakfast then to hotel to rest before visit to La Sagrada Familia.

La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's cathedral, was a revelation. Seen four years ago as part of a drive by, it registered as a mammoth architectural curiosity on a grander scale than the residences he designed. We joined a small group tour this time and were overwhelmed. The interior is spectacular, quite literally breathtaking. If I were to pick a favorite, it would be the effect of the stained glass...on the Nativity side, blues and greens catching the morning sun. On the Passion side yellows and oranges from the setting sun. And the massive tree-like columns...and the altar with the cone of natural light...it was very moving, a true expression of faith that transcends taste and style. Very glad we decided to go.

Now to get home. We are really tired. It's been a great trip but home beckons. And the dog. Up early. Cab to the airport. And then...oh woe, passports still in room safe...race back and return to airport with time to spare. Two hour flight to London with kids on a school trip. Wild bus ride from Heathrow terminal 3 to terminal 5 then tram ride to gates and an hour wait for flight home. Oh, the glamour of air travel. Binge watched all eight episodes of 'The Missing' on the ten hour flight to Houston. Ecstatic reunion with dog...I don't know who was the most excited. Finally home and our own bed.

I know I will need to read this in a few days to recall the fun we had. And we did have fun. It was a great trip - made better by the the people we met on Cruise Critic for tour sharing. Touring with small groups is more fun and more rewarding than going it alone in so many ports. We were really lucky to find so many congenial companions and hope they think so too.

About the ship...the crew and staff are friendly and professional, giving good service without sliding into obsequiousness. We came aboard very tired and without our luggage. My new hero, Alexander, took all the details from our lost luggage report and kept us informed as the bags were located and delivered. He personally delivered a toiletries kit and t shirt for each of us. It seems that almost everyone diverted to new flights from London had luggage missing.

Our Cruise Critic meet and greet was held in Henry's Pub Friday morning. We met most of the people we'd be touring with and the ship provided a breakfast buffet and introduced several members of the hotel staff. NCL was very gracious about this although most of us arranged to tour independently to avoid their fees. 75 people signed up, about half came...if I hadn't coordinated it with the ship, I would have slept in myself.

I'm not sure why, but we received a number of unexpected perks...wine and fruit bowl, option to breakfast and lunch at Cagney's, and special treats in our cabin each evening. The breakfast option was fabulous on port days as I hear the buffets are mobbed. Haven't tried lunch there yet. I did beg our cruise consultant for anything going so maybe he came through for us.

I like the Spirit...it has an old fashioned air about it. It doesn't feel crowded even though there are 2000 guests and about 1000 crew aboard. Perhaps we are lucky with our timing, but even the buffet is navigable and always able to find a seat. I love the covered deck outside the buffet. Comfortable library for quiet times. And quiet times are my favorite. When there is nothing going on in the Galaxy venue the observation area adjacent to it is the best. Otherwise the noise leaks into it. We chose an inside cabin to conserve funds. It was small, but the bathroom was surprisingly large. The shower was more than adequate. And we weren't there much.

Our cruise ends tomorrow and while I'll be glad to go home, it has been wonderful. The late flights and missed connection are behind us. The crew is amazing; always working, always polite.

Your flight experience seems to mirror ours every time we've flown into Europe. I remember years ago being in Italy and the toilets were just a porcelain hole in the ground.

Sounds like the condition of the ship ad facilities was good overall? Have a good trip home.