Epic Day 7 Palma

trfccruiser

When I woke up and looked out from our balcony at about 8 we were already alongside the coast of Majorca which annoyed me as we were clearly “dawdling” for a 2 o’clock docking especially annoying as that it was one of the ports where an hour was shaved off.For me and most others that I spoke especially as it was the last day,longer in port would be appreciated and a mid morning docking would have been more than feasible.In the end we didn’t dock until 2 and couldn’t get off till 2.30 so we had 4 hours if you adhere to the back on board 30 minutes before.In addition,it meant that everyone on the ship wanted lunch at the same time,if they had docked at 11 most people would have missed that meal!

Going back a step we decided to have a leisurely breakfast in the buffet and I decided to make use of the fresh to order Omelette station.I had cheese, tomato,ham and mushrooms,lots of fillings to choose from including Jalapenos if you feel brave!The person next to me ordered an all egg white omelette.I won’t tell you what I thought it looked like but each to their own.Mine tasted fantastic much better than the ones I make myself!

We then went to Bingo.I’m not a big fan but there is always a big prize on the last day and there was also mention of a raffle for a free cruise for 2 to the Caribbean so I was there!

They asked for verifiers to come on the stage for the raffle draw and to had any tickets to friends and relatives so I did and went on stage.

The guy doing it really hyped it up and asked everyone to stand up and sit down when their number didn’t correspond and read the numbers out one by one.We got to the last digit and there were only 3 people left stood in the room and one of them was Liz,my wife.I nearly had a heart attack!I was thinking;

-How great would this be?

-The whole crowd will think it’s a fix!

Anyway,we didn’t win and Liz and another woman sat down when the last number was read.One bloke was left standing looking totally non plussed.Again, the guy wanted to hype it up but was confused by his reaction.Is the last number on your ticket an 8?Yeah came the unenthusiastic reply.

Well you’ve won a free cruise- congratulations come up!Honestly,you would think he had won a pen.

His wife looked less than enthusiastic too.This was not the reaction the guy running it was expecting/looking for.I felt like saying give it to Liz and we’ll both give you the reaction you want!

I thought maybe he just didn’t like the limelight but walking out he still looked decidedly non plussed.Perhaps he doesn’t like cruising?In which case- don’t enter!

As everyone was then planning lunch at the same time we decided to go the outside part of the buffet,it was really nice to sit out in the sun but there are nice parasols if you want them.the ladies had burgers and salad which they said were really good quality and I had a chilli dog which was fine.

Announcement didn’t go up until 2.30 that we could get off which was a bit irritating when you have so little time anyway.

We joined the taxi queue (there were plenty right outside the terminal building),waited 10 minutes if that.We fancied a few hours on the beach,so we asked for Palma Nova beach as we’ve been before and knew it was near,took 10 minutes in taxi and there was a taxi rank right next to the beach to take us back.

We hired some sun beds and a parasol (9 euros each) and had a swim in the sea and sunbathe a lovely relaxing last (half) day.

We were back onboard about 6 to freshen up and then we went for a our last “formal” meal (sigh).We went back to the Manhattan and again the service was quick if a bit lacing in warmth.I had the signature French Onion soup with Gruyere Crouton,I just love it followed by Prime Rib (steak –again!) and I ordered Grand Marnier Souffle which was delicious but was snaffled by Rachel as she loved trying it so I had to make do with Chocolate Volcano with strawberry compote and stracciatella ice cream.Afterwards we had a wander round the busy areas of the ship around the atrium taking in the atmosphere.Rachel kept saying she didn’t want to go home,always the sign of a good holiday.

18082494234_c065f0cb12_b.jpg

"Dawdling" into Palma

18518933209_5966637255_b.jpgPalma Nova beach

18707618271_04aba88552_b.jpgThomson Dream In Palma

18518935389_8679e5ddbd_b.jpgPalma Nova

18082500944_b702967e27_b.jpgRear view with Aida ship peeping out

18518939049_1cfe783a76_b.jpg

Edited by philhar

How was the taxi situation leaving the beach? Readily available ?

Thanks

Also good/ drink available?

Kerri

Hi Kerri,there was a taxi rank right by the beach with taxis readily available all the time.

We didn't eat anywhere,not really time just bought some cold drinks from a shop right by the beach.There are plenty of restaurants nearby though and I have stayed near here before.

I would recommend Port O'Call

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g580306-d2166428-Reviews-Port_O_Call-Palmanova_Calvia_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

Do you mind me asking how much the taxi was to palma nova beach? We're there in august and with such a short stop thinking beach might be a good idea!! Also did I understand right that it was €9 for a bed and €9 for an umbrella? ?

Thanks!

Do you mind me asking how much the taxi was to palma nova beach? We're there in august and with such a short stop thinking beach might be a good idea!! Also did I understand right that it was €9 for a bed and €9 for an umbrella? ?

Thanks!

Hi lynnquenby,the taxi fare was about 25 Euros and the 9 Euro hire did include a parasol,we had 3 beds plus a parasol,it was extra for the parasol so think it's slightly more each if you have less people slightly less if you have more beds than 3(if that makes sense).

It's a lovely beach,shopsbars/restaurants right on the beach and a fabulous ice cream shop about a 2 minute walk away.

Hi lynnquenby,the taxi fare was about 25 Euros and the 9 Euro hire did include a parasol,we had 3 beds plus a parasol,it was extra for the parasol so think it's slightly more each if you have less people slightly less if you have more beds than 3(if that makes sense).

It's a lovely beach,shopsbars/restaurants right on the beach and a fabulous ice cream shop about a 2 minute walk away.

Thanks philhar! !

There are 5 of us and possible we all wouldn't need a sunbed! ! did you find the beach busy it being a Saturday? ?

Thanks philhar! !

There are 5 of us and possible we all wouldn't need a sunbed! ! did you find the beach busy it being a Saturday? ?

Hi lynnquenby,sometimes on holiday we are 5 so we tend to have musical sun beds and share.It wasn't that busy for a Saturday about half the beds were still free.I've been to this same beach in peak periods too (August) and whilst busier didn't ever find a problem getting beds.Obviously there are more locals but it's also a changeover day for many holidaymakers.

Quite a lot of the locals don't bother with sunbeds and just sunbathe on the beach part that is nearer the sea.It's not like the sunbeds are miles away from the sea though.