Treats / snacks for crew members

shuttle-c

Hi, Everyone!

My wife and I turn $1 bills ($2 were great when we could find them!) into origami and leave a couple of them on a little dish on the dressing table every day. We used to just do one per day, but noticed that the cabin attendants seem to be working more with a partner on recent cruises, so we now leave 2 of them. We also used to use the occasional $5 bills -- even a $10 bill when something special happened -- but we've been told that they like to keep the origami rather than unfold it, so $1 bills are enough.

Here's a link to some snapshots of money origami:

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2008/06/06/creative-dollar-bill-origami/

One of our cruise traditions is that we make all of the origami on the flight to the embarkation port. The one that's gotten the greatest response BY FAR is the money shirt with tie -- and it's a VERY easy one to make. Here's a link to a video:

Have fun!

• 5 weeks later...
When we get to our first port, many times we get snacks, small gifts for our dinning staff and cabin steward. We get the best service and they usually seem really flattered that we thought of them. We usually try to get things they can't get on the ship.

Does anyone else do things like this? If so, do you have suggestions for small tokens. We don't spend alot, but it makes the cruise special.

We live in the NYC area and always bring an I Love NY t-shirt. Some folks say, it's a waste, and there is no space in the living quarters of the room stewards, but we have actually seen our room steward wear his t-shirt while on his time off in port. I wrap the shirt in cello with some candy. I also make cello envelopes with candy and $2. for each time we have room service. (I get the t-shirts in the city for about $3. each) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Being a Shipscat I appreciate the odd treat now and again and so I encourage my owners to provide their cabin steward with some treats, snacks, cakes etc always seem to be appreciated and so does warm clothing if they happen to be on a ship that has just repositioned from a hot climate to a cold eg from the Caribbean to Alaska.

Archived