NCL Pride of America 10/3/15: Two Virgins

pang17

Cruising is a great way to sample Hawaii as no two islands are the same. Everyone thinks "tropical is tropical," but Hawaii pleasantly surprises around every corner. You'll love it. Pride of America is not your typical cruise ship in that it's flagged in the U.S. and enjoys a reputation for being a little too informal for some. That's not to say there isn't a sense of decorum, but whereas on some lines the staff is there to serve up a heady course of sophistication, on POA the atmosphere is just a bit more casual and laid back. It's a nice change of pace, and fits in well with the Hawaiian vibe, but it surprises some and not in a good way. Don't get me wrong, we love to be wined and dined, but POA was a pleasant departure from the "formula." As with all cruises, take advantage of those excursions that interest you -- helicopter tours, a luau, etc. -- but allow yourselves time to explore on your own and simply relax, both on and off the ship. There's a spirit of oneness with nature in Hawaii. You'll feel it the moment you arrive. It's a special place with special people. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• 4 weeks later...

we will be on this cruise as well. It's our third time on this cruise, and it is a great way to get around to the islands. It is definitely not a typical cruise....you will spend far more time on shore than in most ports. We generally rent a car on every island and just head to the beaches.

Plenty of great things to do, depending on your tastes. Nude beach in Maui (Little Beach) is beautiful. Hilo is mostly waterfalls and he volcano. Kona has some nice beaches, and great snorkeling. Kauai is just beautiful to drive the island, and plop on a beach someplace. Let me know if you want details on anything.

This will be our honeymoon......we are getting married when the ship stops in Maui on October 4.