Internet on the Norwegian Jade

svSunsets

Does anyone have any experience with the internet service onboard the Norwegian Jade. We are doing the Greek Isles cruise next month and I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing.

Is the service adequate or agonizing (slow)?

Edited by svSunsets

I'd say that the internet on all the ships I've been on has been adequate - it's not fast but gets the job done. On port intensive cruises the peak times are more apparent than on cruises with more sea days.

We were on the Jade in June 2015. I purchased the unlimited plan. I must say that I thought it was fast, for cruise ship speed, sometime even as fast as my high speed at home. My daughter would be on UTUBE most of the time and had no issue with service, streaming worked just fine. I was frequently checking the web for emails and had no issue (I own my own business, so checking in is necessary) Hubby was interested in the NBA finals during the am hours on the ship and had no trouble following the games. via the web.

This was the first time we could purchase the unlimited plan and let me tell you it makes a huge difference. No worrying about how long I was on the web, logging off, etc.

Good to hear. My husband likes to relax while playing some game online. I like to relax and read. Unlimited internet means we both get to relax the way we like while soaking up the sun.

You do realize I hope that if you both want to use it at the same time you will have to pay for two plans. Only one device at a time can use your account. If another person signs on, either they or you will be bumped off.

That's not an issue, he can play while I read. I download my books in advance. Plus we want to be able to FaceTime our kiddos since this will be our first vacation without them. From what I've read we won't be able to do video FaceTime, but voice FaceTime should work.

Hypothetically, Let me make a suggestion to you, sometimes, if you don't log off your one device and hop on a different one, you can both be on the web at once. This may not happen all the time, but there were times this occurred. Don't give my secret away, but trust me, I know. :cool:

Enjoy the Jade, she is a great crew and great ship.

My experience with the internet was horrible, especially on the two sea days. It was slower than the worst dial up service I have ever had. I had the unlimited plan and spent most of my time trying to make it work. Talked with the internet manager and all he could say was to many people using it. His suggestion was to try late at night or early in the morning. My daughter was able to complete homework from her online courses, but not without many curse words. The WiFi is available through out the ship though.

It was disappointing.

The best deal is to buy the $19.95/day unlimited package because in your cabin or suite, you will use many many minutes just trying to connect. I cannot even tell you how many minutes I used initially trying to get online. It is faster in the internet cafe, and it is fine when the ship is in port.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The service is slow, and performance is supposed to be better in public rooms than in the cabins, but I was able to check e-mail and look at Web pages in our stateroom via Wi-Fi.

I'd suggest waiting until you're on board to buy your minutes, so you can take advantage of special offers.

Just back. I didn't think it was too bad. Though I had to compete with my husband as to who was going to be on and who was going to get kicked off. Some days were better than others. Early morning and late night were better than during the day. When we were in port it was best, partly because everyone was off the boat but mostly because folks were using their cellular data service instead of the sat service on the boat. But really, it was best for checking email and i-texting. Don't plan on Skyping or VPN-ing into work or checking CruiseCritic. Facebook was iffy.