Safe to walk from La Concha to OSJ/Castillo San Felipe

jamiehaas27

Having run that route many times, yes, you can do it.

Safe is relative, though.

I would be stunned to hear that someone actually showed up on the walk- we've never seen a person on the route- other than ones that are on the beaches or near the hotels you are going by.

But it is hot. And if you walk along the Atlantic, nice and exposed. So if you are in good health and all- I think you will be fine.

I know next time we are in San Juan, we will run that route again.

I've walked, jogged, and cycled that route plenty of times with no troubles at all. Beautiful views along the Atlantic as mentioned, but there is a bit of construction going on in front of the old Normandie Hotel - You may have to detour here and there, but shouldn't be a problem.

My friends that are from PR advised me not to venture south of the main road into the middle part of Puerta de Tierra - it is quite isolated.

You guys answered what I was looking for....was looking to run there and back or at least one way and around the fort. Just wanted to make sure that it was possible and there were sidewalks or at least a path the of some sort and wouldn't be running in the street.

You guys answered what I was looking for....was looking to run there and back or at least one way and around the fort. Just wanted to make sure that it was possible and there were sidewalks or at least a path the of some sort and wouldn't be running in the street.

If you are going to run, then I'll suggest stretching the run to El Morro. We start there and run around the grass before heading to your hotel and then back.

Well, my wife does- I struggle badly with the heat. :D

Sometimes, I'm able to do it, others, I stop in Luis Munoz Rivera Park to rest and cool down. :o

edit- I just noticed that IS where you are talking about. The fort is Castillo San Filipe del Morro. oops. Have a great run!

ps- that is much of the route that a 1/2 Tri used for the running part. Another part was down the hill from el Morro, out the gate and then run along the ocean wall- which looked to be pretty brutal in the afternoon. Especially at the end of a 70 mile race.

Edited by alfaeric

[attach]357583[/attach]

This is my planned route....7.9k...will actually probably go one street closer to the ocean.

At the very end- by the fort- it looks like you go down to the sea path from the fort- that can't be done. Not sure if that's the intention or not.

You can finish down by the ports where Carnival docks- lots of taxis down there. And may be able to get a nice coconut ice cream- good for re-hydrating and all.... ;)

If you like to mix up your run a little, there's a trail that runs along the south side of Condado lagoon that has different fitness stations. Real easy to access - cross over the Dos Hermanos Bridge and bear left.

You can continue all the way around and wind up around the vicinity of La Concha. Google maps can give you an idea.