Pearl cruise

b1babe

We will be traveling with a group of family members ranging in age from 8-80. Looking to see what kids program is like and if anyone has any idea what kind of food in served in MDR

We cruised on the Pearl in July, 2015, with a five- and eight-year old daughter. Both of them LOVED the kids program. We were able to bring them there pretty much every morning, afternoon and evening when we weren't on shore. They have them grouped into ages 3-5, 6-9, 10-13 and maybe 13 and over (I didn't pay attention as much to that, but there's something for teens too). The younger kids (3-9) overlap some and are in the same place, even if in different rooms.

There were maybe 8-10 "counselors" all the time -- young men and women who all seemed quite enthused and friendly. My girls loved them.

Each day, they had some sort of project or theme, so it wasn't just the kids in a room with some toys or a TV. At the end of the week, the younger kids all put on a show in the Stardust (main) Theater on the ship, which was fun for them.

So, in short, kids program highly recommended.

As for the main dining room, I don't know if you mean for kids or in general, but ...

- kids can order from the kids menu at all dining rooms/restaurants (even the ones you pay extra for ... you don't have to pay extra for the kids, I think, if they order off the kids' menu). It's the usual, American kids menu (burger, hot dog, spaghetti, mac & cheese, pizza, chicken strips ... with a few dessert options). Kids can also, of course, order off the full menu in the dining rooms, or even mix and match (they could have a salad off the main menu and then the chicken strips).

- for everyone else, there are 8-10 starters (some stay the same, some rotate), 6-8 everyday entrees, 6-8 rotating entrees, and a "special" ... for dessert, the 6-8 choices seemed to change frequently from day to day. I'd say it was what one might expect: steak, grilled fish, a chicken dish, a pasta dish, etc. I thought, frankly, it was all pretty good, though not spectacular and the service was just above average, but not up to the level of a fine-dining restaurant in the US or Europe. Not bad by any means, but a bit sloppy (though friendly, and well-intentioned).

- worth noting, as best as I can tell, the menu in Summer Palace and in Indigo were precisely the same on a given day.

Ditto as to what the previous poster said. We just got off the Pearl sunday and my kids had a blast at the kids club. They are 8 and 4. They 8 year old doesn't normally like such programs and wanted to be there every possible moment. The kids club staff was amazing and my kids cried the last day to leave them. We saw lots of multigenerational families all having a great time. It was particularly great for my 8 year old son to have awesome make counselors to hang out with. They even did a circus performance the last day that almost brought me to tears to see my kids having such a good time and performing on stage. Have fun!

Sent from my phone so typing may be suspect