French Riviera Beach Rendezvous - st. Maarten

Tigers11

Thank you, Monty913, for taking the time to answer my question. It really sounds like an excursion we would enjoy. There are just so many to choose from. Some sound wonderful, but then the reviews aren't so good. We just want to make the most of our time in the ports. Asking folks who have already been there for advice was all I knew to do. Again, thank you for your nice post.

Thank you, moki'smommy, for your reply. I think, from what I have seen online, the water taxi is still $7. I was under the impression that the $7 per person was a day pass for as many times as anyone wants to ride it. Is that right? Thanks.

In 2014 it was $7 for one way, $14 for all day. I was frankly shocked at this price as it had been $3 the previous time we were there.

It is about a 20 minute walk to the shopping area and there are a few places you miss by taking the taxi but not many. We were with a friend from the Netherlands, so she like the Dutch cheese shop that you'd see only by walking.

Don't rule out just renting a car/jeep. St. Maarten is the only island I've been to that I am 100% comfortable driving on. They drive on the normal side of the road and aren't crazy like in Mexico, Jamaica or St. Thomas. I use a local company at the cruise port called Costal. They have everything from cheap older Jeeps to brand new 4 door Unlimited Jeeps. In the end it's cheaper than cabs. We like Galion beach (the baby beach) and then onto grand case for lunch, watch the Jets at Maho beach and back to the port. Just leave buffer time for the drawbridge crossing. I've sent 2 coworkers this route and they have all been pleased.

• 8 months later...

My sister and I did this excursion during the 9/26/15 sailing (Fantasy). It was horrible! The bus ride and food were okay, but the beach and water were so clogged with seaweed that we couldn't even wade in the shallows or walk along the shoreline.

We took the first bus back after lunch and filed a complaint with the Port Adventures desk, asking for, and receiving, a 50% refund. After all, we did ride the bus and eat lunch, so I thought 50% was fair, which why that's all I asked to be returned.

Apparently, there is a "seaweed season" in the Caribbean. I had no idea, not having encountered anything like this is Nassau, Cozumel, St Thomas, Grand Cayman or Castaway Cay, despite previous cruises around the same time of year. Ick!