Constructive responses only, please!

TexasRices

I think you might want to give some thought to touring Uxmal. I believe it is closer to the port and it is an impressive ruin. It has probably been 15 years since we went on a land vacation and toured Chichen Itza and Uxmal. Other than the grand pyramid at Chichen which I could climb, there is little else I remember. At the time of our visit, my wife had mobility problems but did not use a wheelchair. The distance at Chichen were overwhelming and she could barely make it through the site. At Uxmal, she stayed near the entrance, could see many of the buildings but chose not to walk around while I climbed many of the structures which I believe you still can do. As my wife now uses a wheelchair and I would like to return to Uxmal on a future cruise, I googled Uxmal wheelchair and Uxmal accessibility. I found this information regarding accessibility:

"WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBILITY

There is limited wheelchair accessibility to Uxmal. There is a wheelchair ramp to the Pyramid of the Magician and a non-staired soil sidewalk to the Ball Court and the base of the Palace of the governor and Grand Pyramid. Unfortunately for the physically challenged, ancient site usually requires walking up flights of stairs and treading on uneven walkways and platforms."

This is just one web site that refers to the news article but also has a nice video which will show you some of the site.

http://pvangels.com/news-mexico/10073/ancient-mayan-ruins-at-uxmal-now-handicap-friendly

I would encourage you to do some research and see if Uxmal might not be a better option to Chichen simply because of the shorter bus ride giving more access on site.

DISCLAIMER: I have no personal experience with the accessibility of the site and it has been so long ago that I visited that I can not remember how flat it is. I have been able to move my wife's transport chair (never traveled in scooter) over the grassy areas at other Mayan sites in Belize which had no accessibility features.

I think you might want to give some thought to touring Uxmal. I believe it is closer to the port and it is an impressive ruin. It has probably been 15 years since we went on a land vacation and toured Chichen Itza and Uxmal. Other than the grand pyramid at Chichen which I could climb, there is little else I remember. At the time of our visit, my wife had mobility problems but did not use a wheelchair. The distance at Chichen were overwhelming and she could barely make it through the site. At Uxmal, she stayed near the entrance, could see many of the buildings but chose not to walk around while I climbed many of the structures which I believe you still can do. As my wife now uses a wheelchair and I would like to return to Uxmal on a future cruise, I googled Uxmal wheelchair and Uxmal accessibility. I found this information regarding accessibility:

"WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBILITY

There is limited wheelchair accessibility to Uxmal. There is a wheelchair ramp to the Pyramid of the Magician and a non-staired soil sidewalk to the Ball Court and the base of the Palace of the governor and Grand Pyramid. Unfortunately for the physically challenged, ancient site usually requires walking up flights of stairs and treading on uneven walkways and platforms."

This is just one web site that refers to the news article but also has a nice video which will show you some of the site.

http://pvangels.com/news-mexico/10073/ancient-mayan-ruins-at-uxmal-now-handicap-friendly

I would encourage you to do some research and see if Uxmal might not be a better option to Chichen simply because of the shorter bus ride giving more access on site.

DISCLAIMER: I have no personal experience with the accessibility of the site and it has been so long ago that I visited that I can not remember how flat it is. I have been able to move my wife's transport chair (never traveled in scooter) over the grassy areas at other Mayan sites in Belize which had no accessibility features.

You are an absolute ANGEL...thank you so much! I will definitely check it out!!! :D