How to reserve Chef's Table on Breakaway?

chrisa2711

Price is now raised to $109.95 and will be added with 18% like with all other speciality dining.

On all of our cruises there has been a person making rounds in restaurants (we always have the first lunch in MDR) during lunch so one can usually make their reservation without having to stand in the lines anywhere.

Edited by Demonyte

When you first get on the ship go to the restaurant reservation desk. We did the Chef's Table last Feb. It was held in the Haven and was limited to only twenty people. The cost was $99pp.

Thanks - what did you think about it? Would you recommend it? I will be traveling solo and it sounds like a worthy splurge!

Chris

Thanks - what did you think about it? Would you recommend it? I will be traveling solo and it sounds like a worthy splurge!

I traveled solo on the Epic recently, and I decided that the Chef's Table was going to be my onboard splurge, too! I did tons of research before boarding (cost, how to book, reviewed the menu to make sure I thought it was worth the splurge, etc.), and then there was no Chef's Table on my sailing. I really, really hope that there's a Chef's Table on your sailing and you're able to book it, but I thought I'd mention my experience so you're not as disappointed as I was if there's not one on the BA when you're on. Good luck!

I traveled solo on the Epic recently, and I decided that the Chef's Table was going to be my onboard splurge, too! I did tons of research before boarding (cost, how to book, reviewed the menu to make sure I thought it was worth the splurge, etc.), and then there was no Chef's Table on my sailing. I really, really hope that there's a Chef's Table on your sailing and you're able to book it, but I thought I'd mention my experience so you're not as disappointed as I was if there's not one on the BA when you're on. Good luck!

Wow, how disappointing... I appreciate the heads-up. I think I'll call NCL this week to see if they're able to tell me ahead of time. Better to know up front if possible.

Thanks,

Chris

Wow, how disappointing... I appreciate the heads-up. I think I'll call NCL this week to see if they're able to tell me ahead of time. Better to know up front if possible.

I hope they can!

My cruise was a little different. Because it was a Western Med itinerary, there were two embarkation points, and I got on in Rome (Civitavecchia), which wasn't the main embarkation point. I asked at check-in, and they said to contact restaurant services, since it wasn't the main embarkation point and they didn't have the ability to book me. I did that as soon as I got to my room and was told that there was nothing for the sailing, but I could try again in 4 days after the main Barcelona embarkation, and maybe there would be something then.

I called the day of the Barcelona embarkation and was told there was nothing. The first time (Rome day) I was put on hold a long time and then told someone would call me back with the answer (they did within 15 minutes). The second time (Barcelona) I was put on hold for a long time while she checked, and then I got my answer. I was never completely convinced I was being told the right thing.

Hopefully, with the BA not having different embarkation points, you can get it all taken care of at check-in. And better yet, you'll be able to get a definitive answer before you board. Again, good luck! And if you do get a seat, can you report back here so I can live vicariously through you? :p

Chris

We enjoyed it very much! The meal we had was good (not outstanding) but the unlimited amount of wines they paired with the food and the wonderful people we met made it worth it. Also, the cordial (got to choose) at the end of the meal in the lounge was nice touch.

Chef's table is fleetwide and listed as one of the dining options, only time I've heard it's been cancelled is when not enough people were signed up. (We've had that happen to us before with for example Jazz Brunch.)

So I highly doubt that they'd be able to tell you anything else than ask onboard.

My cruise was a little different. Because it was a Western Med itinerary, there were two embarkation points, and I got on in Rome (Civitavecchia), which wasn't the main embarkation point. I asked at check-in, and they said to contact restaurant services, since it wasn't the main embarkation point and they didn't have the ability to book me.

Check-in is the absolutely worst place to ask anything like that, the people in the terminal handling the check-in process are port contractor's staff and have absolutely no idea about things onboard. One can barely get the necessary things handled there, all the rest need to be done after boarding at guest services.

Also sorry to say but instead of calling the call center for restaurant reservations, I've always gotten better and more knowledgeable service with the actual reservations desk where there is usually one of the Maitre'd's serving people.

Unfortunately I'd say that on your cruise there haven't been enough people to book after Barcelona and the event was not held because of that - and that the call center's communication was lacking too bad.

Check-in is the absolutely worst place to ask anything like that, the people in the terminal handling the check-in process are port contractor's staff and have absolutely no idea about things onboard. One can barely get the necessary things handled there, all the rest need to be done after boarding at guest services.

Thanks for the insight; I thought I was being smart in doing what experienced people here on CC had said to do--ask as soon as you board at check-in.

Also sorry to say but instead of calling the call center for restaurant reservations, I've always gotten better and more knowledgeable service with the actual reservations desk where there is usually one of the Maitre'd's serving people.

Again, once I was on board the ship, I was told to call restaurant/dining services (not visit somewhere), so I took the directions at face value. I didn't realize I was calling a "call center"; I thought I was calling restaurant/dining services directly when I chose that button on my phone.

Please excuse my naivete again, but do you know specifically where I should have visited? Each restaurant had its own reservations desk, but since this wasn't an event held in one of the restaurants, I didn't think going to any of those would help (and believe me, I did consider going to every reservation desk, lol!). I looked around for a general dining desk, but never saw one. That's why I thought calling restaurant/dining services was my best bet. I guess I could have tried guest services, but again, I hadn't seen that advised at CC, and I figured that restaurant/dining services would be more knowledgeable than guest services.

Anyway, I didn't post to rehash what I did or should have done. Just didn't want the OP to be disappointed like I was, even doing research and pursuing what CC experts and check-in staff and NCL staff had told me to do. Manage expectations, I always say! :)

Thanks for the insight; I thought I was being smart in doing what experienced people here on CC had said to do--ask as soon as you board at check-in.

I think there has been a misunderstanding as you only board after the check-in process in the terminal is completed. Instructing you to book as soon as you board is correct, that means right after you get on the ship. :)

Please excuse my naivete again, but do you know specifically where I should have visited?

I looked around for a general dining desk, but never saw one. That's why I thought calling restaurant/dining services was my best bet. I guess I could have tried guest services, but again, I hadn't seen that advised at CC, and I figured that restaurant/dining services would be more knowledgeable than guest services.

There is a dedicated restaurant reservations desk on every ship nearby the guest services and often in the buffet area too, especially on embarkation day.

Of course one can make reservations at the Maitre'd's stations too, but it's easier at the dedicated desk without having to run around the ship and usually restaurants are still closed (unmanned) at embarkation. :)

Anyway, I didn't post to rehash what I did or should have done. Just didn't want the OP to be disappointed like I was...

Definitely, that is why we have these discussions here. I didn't mean to point out any errors or misunderstandings to offend you in any way but to help others in the same situation. And as I said, clearly the communication by the people "helping" you was at fault too.

These things can be confusing for newbies and unfortunately the poor customer service and incorrect information often given out by PCCs and general CSRs before the cruise and by the ship's staff onboard doesn't help getting things right.

I have even had arguments with onboard staff about the MDR being open for lunch or not, a very basic info that anybody helping embarking people should have (and it is printed in the daily). :)

I think there has been a misunderstanding as you only board after the check-in process in the terminal is completed. Instructing you to book as soon as you board is correct, that means right after you get on the ship. :)

Gotcha! I was thinking of it as one thing, but it makes sense that it's actually two separate things (now that I've been through it!). And boarding in Rome did me no favors. When I got onboard, it was really like a day at sea rather than an embarkation day. I had been expecting a station set up to buy the bottled wine package, a station set up for specialty dining reservations (like Chef's Table), that kind of thing. But that wasn't the case. I didn't even see a station set up at check-in or onboard where they were doing the corkage fee for wine brought onboard. I got no direction once I boarded and was able to just immediately go straight to my room, which I understand also isn't the case when boarding on a regular embarkation day. So that's where a lot of my confusion came in--nothing was like what I had read or expected.

There is a dedicated restaurant reservations desk on every ship nearby the guest services and often in the buffet area too, especially on embarkation day.

Well, I somehow completely missed this! (And I thought I had looked!) Good to know for future cruises, though. Thank you!

I didn't mean to point out any errors or misunderstandings to offend you in any way but to help others in the same situation.

You didn't offend me, and I'm sorry if I came across that way. I felt confused on the ship, and then I felt confused about calling a "call center" when I really thought restaurant/dining services would be the best bet.

I'm heading on the Pearl soon, so I'm excited to see what embarkation is like on a true embarkation day. Once I have a "real" embarkation under my belt, I won't feel like such a newbie, lol! (Although I will miss being able to go straight to my room. That was nice after an overnight flight and 22 hours of travel!)