St Regis in Vancouver

RoxiRoo

Just booked the St Regis for our pre-cruise evening stay. Got tired of looking at all the hotels and am hoping I picked a good one! My biggest requirements are clean and quiet. I am not a fun person if I don't get my sleep! I have not been able to find a lot of recent information on St Regis on this forum, other than it is a nice 5 block walk to the Pier.

Did I do okay? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for one night. But, I also don't want to be in a dirty, noisy, unsafe place.

Thanks!

Julie

Perhaps some of the other visitors who stayed there might pop back to give you a personal review - few of us locals have stayed in many downtown hotels... I believe PD saw something of the renos and might weigh in, but basically it's an older building converted into a boutique hotel. While that comes with some Pros on the solid building, thick exterior walls, more character than a boring modern cookie-cutter big glass box front, it also tends to also mean fewer power sockets, weaker WiFi signals, fewer and older elevators than a more modern hotel.

You're not too far from a handful of late night venues, but the streets won't be as loud as in the Granville Entertainment District; the big mall and office towers on one side of will be nice & quiet at night, and the large SRO on the next block is closed but no idea what's happening with it - by next cruise season it could be getting renoed or demolished so you might have some building site noise close by.

It's certainly not unsafe, shouldn't be dirty, but there will ALWAYS be homeless people in the vicinity (there's one enterprising chap who shoves a broom around the block next to you, which has several eateries, asking for tips for keeping the street nice from patrons leaving for example). Unless you get out into the burbs though you'll always have to handle that issue...

That's good to know. I was also considering the Sands, because we really just want to walk around Stanley Park and head to Granville on that day, but I hear the walls are very thin there. I would rather have a quiet place.

Can't comment on the interior of the Sands, but it's in an area at least as lively as St Regis - lots of pubs & restos where Denman & Davie meet, so I'd be inclined to think it would be just as loud at night in the vicinity. St Reg is also better rated on Tripadvisor etc. than the Sands (I think it's currently Top 10 in Vancouver with enough reviewers to have a high degree of confidence).