Do I get off the boat with my young children in Belize

jamadeliz

Hi,

My husband, 3 children (ages 6, 3.5 and 3.5) are going to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman in December. I have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I am a bit nervous about Belize. Would you get off the boat? Also, has anyone done any Belize shore excursions with young children?

I would also be interested in knowing how far the shopping is from the tender dock.

Thank you!!

If you take the tender to Belize, the shopping is located right where you tender. The shops are all located in a mall like building which is gated from the city and manned by guards. I would feel safe shopping there :-)

The only excursion that I have found that looks good for kids is the Belize zoo and Old Belize (there is a beach there too). http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/Belize_Zoo_Old_Belize_Excursion.htm Some people have also mentioned that they have gone over to Caye Caulker an island that is 45 minutes by boat, but I'm not sure how well small children would do if the ocean is not flat. I don't take my kids on the lake back home when its rough because it bangs around a lot.

I'd agree with this poster, we were in Belize in April with our daughters, age 8 and 6. We did the Coral Breeze excursion swimming with the Rays and Sharks, snorkeling and Caulker Caye. It is a long boat ride out to the Caye, and there are not a lot of facilities out there. For beach time, I'd stay right on the main island where you are likely to have more around you.

Belize is still very much a third world country, by this I mean, it is not very developed, and as a cruise port, they still have a ways to go. It is very beautiful, so I do suggest getting off the ship, but I would recommend that whatever you do, book it with either the cruise lines or a reputable tour company. It is not a place where I would feel comfortable, especially with small children, venturing out on my own.

Thank you all for your help. I think we will get off and do a little shopping and then get back on the boat and swim in the pool with the kids. My 3 yo son will not tolerate a long bus ride for any shore excursion.

I appreciate all the great comments!!

Archived