Marina's Southernmost Wonders cruise 2015

TravelingAngel

Hi!

We got back from our cruise last week and although I am not in a position to write a real cruise review, I do want to say a few words about my experience.

We boarded the ship the 22nd of Dec and in the middle of the night I woke up in excrutiating pain, ending up on the floor writhing in pain (I never before understood that expression - now I do!:eek:) so the doctor and the nurse came (it was 330am) to take care of me. I won't go into what ailed me, but it was all about pain and they did everything they could to make me comfortable for the rest of the night until they could get me to a hospital the next day (we were still in Buenos Aires).

The next morning, the port authority agent was there the minute we docked and he was amazing. He drove me and my husband to the hospital (for X-rays), stayed with us the entire time to help translate, and made sure we got back to the ship safe and sound. Doctor Andrew and nurse Psyche (from the ship) were there for me and couldn't have been more caring and concerned. Psyche truly is an Angel.

Sadly, my situation did not get better so I was unable to take the excursions I had planned on for over a year - missing the penguins at Falkland Island was an especially big disappointment. However, I was made as comfortable as possible by my cabin stewardess , Krisztina, another Angel, who went beyond her duties to see that I had what I needed. I mostly needed ice cream. :p

We were fortunate to be in a penthouse and our butler was nice and did what I asked, but the amazing thing was that our butler from two cruises ago, Churchill, found out we were on board and came to visit me and hold my hand and made sure I was looked after. Our favorite waiter from past cruises, Robert, was now the head in the Grand Dining Room and one of the times I could actually get out of the cabin to eat, made sure I had a fabulous table and the quickest service imagineable. Every waiter was kind and helpful and just thinking about how tenderly they treated me brings tears to my eyes (yes, I'm crying as I write this).

So my cruise did not turn out as planned. However, we did meet some wonderful people who showed a stranger such caring and compassion that I will always remember them with great fondness. I had some fun and funny moments that still bring a smile to my face. I have some lovely new jewelry bought for me by my husband. :) I loved lying in the best bed in the whole world with the veranda door open, smelling the sea air, listening to the sounds of the ocean as the Marina effortlessly glided through the waters. I loved seeing the Christmas full moon from the Terrace Cafe patio. I loved having most breakfast, lunch and dinners in bed - well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration but having the ability to have wonderful food brought to my bedside was a blessing. I did manage to eat at Jacques twice - the first night before the pain and the last night as the pain was easing - and the food, the service, the people with whom we shared the table - all were stellar.

Everytime Krisztina changed the sheets and I crawled back into that bed, it felt like heaven. Really, the bed alone makes traveling on the Marina worth any cost. And of course, the ice cream.:p

What else can I say? Before the cruise I was focused on the weather - a bit worried we might miss some tender ports due to rough seas or bad weather, so I kept visioning blue skies and calm seas. I am happy to say my weather programming was a huge success - not one port was missed and the heavy coats and hats were never needed. My husband said the excursions we had booked were excellent. You could say it was the perfect cruise for that part of the world and despite my disappointment, I am happy for everyone who got to benefit from my focused programming - you're welcome!;)

The two weeks on board are a bit of a blur, I must admit. I was under the influence of drugs (manna from heaven) but I was clear headed enough to know that I was blessed to have the care and attention of some amazingly wonderful people,(including the guest lecturer, a well known neurosurgeon and expert on South America, who took it upon himself to give me an exam and correspond with the doctors at the hospital in Puerto Montt!) and I am grateful to each and everyone of them. Having the ship's doctor and nurse become your best friends while cruising is never anyone's ideal goal, but boy oh boy, did I ever get lucky that Dr. Andrew and Psyche were there for me. Of course, I hope you never have to meet them but I highly recommend them and the ship's medical facility - absolutely top notch all the way.

When we got to Puerto Montt, we had another port authority agent who was equally as wonderful as the agent we had in Buenos Aires. He got me to the hospital for an MRI and also stayed with us the entire time. Before this cruise I really never gave much thought to port agents but now I know what they do and I am so grateful to them and what they did for me.

I could say more but I think I'm beginning to ramble. I just wanted to put out there that my experience on the Marina was made more than just tolerable, despite everything, it was made memorable, and in a good way by some very good, caring people. I now consider myself an official Oceania cheerleader!!

I am already excited about our next cruise and can't wait to re-book this cruise. The longer you live the more you understand that things go wrong, plans have to be changed, accidents happen, not everything works out for the best. However, with the right attitude and a great support team, the best can be made out of whatever happens!!:)

Happy New Year and safe travels!!