Gift certificates for onboard credit

nfldpenguin

I noticed today on NCL website a section for purchasing gifts. You're able to purchase onboard credit gift certificates. Anyone ever use or buy these? Thinking of buying them for ourselves as a way to have some spending money by the time we get on board. Would love to hear from someone who has used them. thanks:)

A lot of people like to pay for onboard expenses in advance with these.

Just remember that they are not credited to your onboard account immediately when you board but it can be second or even third day (first or second full day) of the cruise when they are visible on the onboard account, so you can't rely on those credits alone.

I bought one as a gift for my sister-in-law who is sailing with us (it's a retirement celebration cruise for her) and I did not receive the confirming email that the website said to expect. After a few days, I called NCL directly and they had no record of my purchase. I checked my credit card statement and no transaction had been made. So while I had the agent on the phone, I purchased the OBC then. She said there would be a certificate in SIL's cabin telling her about the OBC.

We sail soon, I will report back if there are any issues or glitches!

A lot of people like to pay for onboard expenses in advance with these.

Just remember that they are not credited to your onboard account immediately when you board but it can be second or even third day (first or second full day) of the cruise when they are visible on the onboard account, so you can't rely on those credits alone.

Would there be anything to pay for upfront before the credit was applied to the onboard account? It's been a while since I cruised, but I thought everything was paid at the end (besides the actual cruise tickets). I'm thinking about purchasing some gift certificates for myself in advance to soften the blow on that final day.

I noticed today on NCL website a section for purchasing gifts. You're able to purchase onboard credit gift certificates. Anyone ever use or buy these? Thinking of buying them for ourselves as a way to have some spending money by the time we get on board. Would love to hear from someone who has used them. thanks:)

You MAY also get a better exchange rate buying OBC than paying $US onboard... If you booked in $Can, and booked awhile ago when the exchange rate was more favourable. In our case, we can buy $100OBC for $119Can which is better than the bank exchange rate. We then use the OBC for all of our on-board expenses.

Susan

Would there be anything to pay for upfront before the credit was applied to the onboard account? It's been a while since I cruised, but I thought everything was paid at the end (besides the actual cruise tickets). I'm thinking about purchasing some gift certificates for myself in advance to soften the blow on that final day.

Not anything that one would need to pay, so your thinking is absolute correct.

All in all the onboard account needs to have some other funds (cash or credit card) to make the charging possible before the OBC is applied.

I only mentioned that because some people have mentioned here planning that they wouldn't have or use a card and would like to avoid setting up the cash account too by only pre-purchasing OBC - and in that case they would not be able to use their onboard account at all before OBC is actually applied to the account.

Not anything that one would need to pay, so your thinking is absolute correct.

All in all the onboard account needs to have some other funds (cash or credit card) to make the charging possible before the OBC is applied.

I only mentioned that because some people have mentioned here planning that they wouldn't have or use a card and would like to avoid setting up the cash account too by only pre-purchasing OBC - and in that case they would not be able to use their onboard account at all before OBC is actually applied to the account.

Is there a certain "cash" amount that needs to be put down on the account first? I've been trying to avoid using the credit cards at all and would like to use cash only, but if it's easier to use the credit card, I guess I could justify it. How much of a "hold" do they put on an ATM card or credit card?

Yes you can use them as on board credit. Like the previous post says,they usually aren't available till the second day. In the last 5 cruises I've take I've never put a debit or credit card on file. I've always thought the certificates online.

Canuck059

I noticed that today when I looked at the exchange did seem better than current exchange rates. Does it go by the rates from when we booked it? Or does it fluctuate with the bank rates and change all the time

I believe it goes by the rate when you book it. There is an extensive thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215730

You can also prepay gratuities and anything you can book on-line (specialty dining, shore excursions, etc) to get the same favourable exchange rate, and then have OBC for your other on-board expenses.

Susan

We've purchased these in the past and never once had an issue. The credit was on our account as we boarded. I'm not sure if it has to do with the timing of when they were purchased but we normally buy our on board credit right after final payment so it's on record 90 days out.

My husband gifted me a certificate for my upcoming cruise with my mom & sister. All he knew was the ship and the date and he was able to buy the certificate online. He got an email which he printed out and gave me for Christmas. When I go to MyNCL I can see the credit under my cruise stuff (sorry don't remember which exact section).

I'm hoping to use it for the Ice Bar and maybe the Wine Lovers musical. :)