Taking 19 yr old. friend of the family - questions

"the deeper we get, the easier the sinking".

Author: James Russell Lowell 1819-1891, American Poet, Critic, Editor

Kinda appropriate for a cruise discussion board I think

Take the papers for the 19 year old, have fun and relax...

My favorite quote:

"What you think of me is none of my business" Mary Burmiester

I like this one, tends to make people stop and think a minute

"the deeper we get, the easier the sinking".

Author: James Russell Lowell 1819-1891, American Poet, Critic, Editor

Kinda appropriate for a cruise discussion board I think

Take the papers for the 19 year old, have fun and relax...

My favorite quote:

"What you think of me is none of my business" Mary Burmiester

I like this one, tends to make people stop and think a minute

Thanks, Imsulin2. That's helpful. The policy you describe is different from what our TA told us. I will definitely get clarification. As it stands now, we have cabins already booked, two of them with two 19 year olds in each. No problem with RCI, but they did insist that there was someone over 24 from our party on the same deck.

I really appreciate the OP raising these issues, because this is the first time for us bringing our young adult children and their friends, and I want to be sure to have the right documentation (even if it's not asked for) as someone pointed out--better to have it and not need it!

I absolutely agree with you about the drinking, but I would never let my 18 year old daughter sleep with her boyfriend right under my nose. But, I guess in this day and age, morals are old fashioned. Have a good time on your cruise.

Thank you for saying that. You have more courage than I do. I figured the OP was trying to "make a funny" ... but I didn't find it humorous at all. But then ... guess I'm just a prude. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I guess my feeling regarding the whole "morality" issue of a young woman and young man sharing a cabin is this: When our DD was living with us (even over the age of 18), her behavior and activities were our business (she didn't always like that, but did respect it), and no one else's. We did not allow her to sleep in the same room with her BF at that time because we did not feel it was appropriate. The thing is that this was our choice for our DD and our family. I do not believe it is my place to make these decisions for other families. I also do not believe that every young man and woman who sleep in the same room end up unwed with a child and in poverty.

And as far as there being more teen sex and unwed mothers today, get real. Let's consider how many teens got married right out of high school, or sooner, in the past. Fifty years ago that was the norm in most places. And have you ever heard of the term "shotgun wedding"? The differences today are that people get married later and don't always feel the need to get married at all. The number of children living in poverty is higher, but the population is larger as well. Do you really think that no "unwanted" children lived in poverty 100 years ago? If so, read a history book for crying out loud--that should enlighten you. The real difference that many call a "moral" change has more to do with the fact that teen sex is not "hidden" (like as kids we figured if we hid under the covers that monsters didn't exist, then society figured that if we didn't acknowledge such things that meant they didn't happen). Teen mothers are no longer "sent away" in "homes for unwed mothers." The only change I see that is truly a moral failing is that the teen fathers seem to get a "pass" these days. Before, they were expected to step up and "do the right thing" (which would be taking responsibility for the child they helped create). Okay, off my moral soapbox.

In any case, I do not question or condemn parents who make different choices then we made. (Okay, I do question parents who can't be bothered to parent at all--but that's another, much discussed, issue.)

beachchick

OP here...it's amazing how a few innocent questions can cause such havoc! LOL

HurricaneSally: I never mentioned our cabin arrangements and didn't ask about them, so I still don't understand your original comment, which was very uncalled for and none of your business.

Anyway, I have already gotten a notarized letter from BF's mom giving permission to take BF on the cruise AND to seek medical attention on his behalf if necessary. As for cabin arrangements, we have two cabins right next to each other; can't remember if they connect. Originally my husband and I were booked in one and our two daughters in the other, so it is OK to have two people under 19 in one cabin IF a person 25 yrs or older is close. Right now, the BF is booked in the cabin with me and my two daughters are still booked in the other one.

BTW, daughter's BF intends to propose to her on the cruise. Be happy for them!

OP here...it's amazing how a few innocent questions can cause such havoc! LOL

BTW, daughter's BF intends to propose to her on the cruise. Be happy for them!

Congratulations to you and your daughter.Be sure and let us know how the proposal goes.What a romantic place to get engaged.

Archived