Deep Sea Fishing Amber Cove Excursion

MAGNUM PI

Researched reviews of several private fishing charters, out of the Amber Cove general area.

Came to the conclusion that it is not worth doing this.

Reviews almost always used the phrase..."fish weren't biting that day." Which is understandable, on occasion. But when this is the APPARENT norm, then not reasonable for the expensive cost involved, IMO.

One review mentioned that 3 fishing charter boats, went out that particular day. Only 1 solitary fish was caught, amongst all of them.

Another common theme is how rough the ocean is, during their charters. Even taking motion sickness remedies, did not help, in some cases.

I read a chart of the peak fishing times at Dominican Republic. June through August.

So it's "back to the drawing board", for Amber Cove ideas? Very few options.

• 1 year later...

My husband and I did this excursion in March whilst on the Azura. It was a complete waste of time and money. We were told the usual boat was broken and that the alternative was just as good! Half of the group had already been cancelled but we weren't given the option. The boat was quite small with not enough seats for the 8 people who were fishing and the 2 observers, the deck had a colony of ants. 6 rods were put out at the back of the boat and the 8 were all given a slip of paper with a number on. After about 2 hours a fish finally gave in and the person who had number 1 was called to reel it in. Regrettably no one else got to even hold a rod as there were no more fish. In fact the bait returned to the deck in pristine condition to be returned to the bait box and used again. Quite an achievement for the guys running the trip. When it was obvious that we were not impressed the rum and packets of crisps were produced unfortunately we wanted a deep sea fishing trip not a rum runner. Although catching fish cannot be guaranteed surely everyone should gave the chance to hold a rod? The guys hand out a critique to be completed whilst they stand at the side of you about 2 hours out in the Caribbean Sea rather intimidating but we still rated it as poor! The excursion desk refunded 20% and customer services the rest when I contacted them on our return. The trouble is we cannot get back the time wasted as no scenery was seen at all straight out into the sea not near the coast. Avoid would be my advice.